PDA

View Full Version : Hairtype changed from fine to medium?

Kaelee
July 7th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I've always had fine hair. I've always been told I had fine hair by my mother, grandmother, stylists....until recently I HAVE had fine hair.

Recently, for some reason, my hairtype seemed to go from fine to medium, or a mix of fine, medium and coarse strands. :confused: I visited my grandmother over the weekend and asked her, and she confirmed- my hair is NOT the same as it used to be.

I have no idea why. I could blame hormones, but it seems that the change happened to quickly for that. Is it that the years of henna finally caught up with my hairs? (They're NOT in bad condition at all, just coarser!) Is it that I recently switched to CO? What could have caused this?

I'm not complaining....I'm just confused!

biogirl87
July 7th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Kaelee, I don't know why your hair type would change. But I want to try to keep an eye on this thread as I'm also curious why this happened.

AnqeIicDemise
July 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I know that since I've quit heat styling and dying my hair with chemicals my hair has gotten a little coarser. Not terribly, but I have gone from fine to more medium hair. I randomly have some really coarse hairs thrown in. The wave came out in force. It isn't much of a wave, but it is a wave. I used to believe my hair was pin straight.

MsBubbles
July 7th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Is it possible that the coarser hairs are white hairs that have been covered over by henna?

McFearless
July 7th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like henna!

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Mine has changed since I'm not dying and perming my hair.

ChristmasFnatic
July 7th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Curious about this as well cuz I got fine hair thanks to bad genes.

WilfredAllen
July 8th, 2013, 02:51 AM
maybe it's because you're drinking more water (:

Are your strands thicker all the way down or are they just growing in thicker? I believe growing in thicker strands can be a sign of improved health/nutrition

Mesmerise
July 8th, 2013, 05:27 AM
I think the henna is a possibility if you've been using it awhile. It can build up the hair shaft somewhat, causing thicker hair strands. That's the only way I can think of the individual hairs changing... I do believe over time finer hairs can become thicker, but that would start at the root, rather than thickening the whole hair. When I was a child my hair was certainly finer than it is today, but obviously that was a gradual process that happened over the years.

Kaelee
July 8th, 2013, 08:01 AM
maybe it's because you're drinking more water (:

Are your strands thicker all the way down or are they just growing in thicker? I believe growing in thicker strands can be a sign of improved health/nutrition

All the way down. That's why I'm so confused!

They're definitely not gray. I'm betting on either the henna, or CO being the culprit.

Magalo
July 8th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I always had fine hair, but as I look at them now, they're obviously medium! I think it's henna. :)

LadyCelestina
July 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
On a different hair care forum,some people were complaining that henna made their strands so coarse overtime it was uncomfortable for them...maybe it really works like that.

ladylowtide
July 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM
My fine, fly away hair became medium heavy hair when I hennaed repeatedly. Since I stopped hennaing is has grown in fine and flyaway again. So henna's my bet.

Anje
July 8th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I'm inclined to blame henna and maybe increasing length.

I notice that my ends tend to have a higher proportion of M strands, while the higher-up stuff is mostly F. Since I've got some taper happening, it seems plausible that the F strands don't tend to make it as far due to wear and tear and whatnot. Gentle treatment and maintaining the length for a long time has definitely made a difference in the taper, which doesn't contradict this hypothesis.

Of course, my ends (well, basically everything below my chin or so, really) are hennaed, which could definitely also explain why the strands look fatter.

browneyedsusan
July 9th, 2013, 07:50 AM
My hair is different, too. Probably hormones and henna?

Kaelee
July 9th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I'm inclined to blame henna and maybe increasing length.

I notice that my ends tend to have a higher proportion of M strands, while the higher-up stuff is mostly F. Since I've got some taper happening, it seems plausible that the F strands don't tend to make it as far due to wear and tear and whatnot. Gentle treatment and maintaining the length for a long time has definitely made a difference in the taper, which doesn't contradict this hypothesis.

Of course, my ends (well, basically everything below my chin or so, really) are hennaed, which could definitely also explain why the strands look fatter.

I was thinking that too, about the increasing length and the thicker strands just making it longer than the finer strands. I'm thinking the number 1 culprit is probably the henna, as well.

Stellaaa
July 9th, 2013, 10:28 AM
My hair has gone from very fine and thin and stick straight to medium and wavy over the years, not henna, but age and dye. My greys are coarse and curvy, the more of those that come in the thicker and wavier I get. Dye makes the thinner hairs thicker too.

Since you are not greying, and it's happening all at once, yeah, henna.

And Anje, I had a lot of breakage last spring and now the bottom of my taper is all thicker coarser hairs. Excellent observation, and I totally agree with your theory about the fine hairs not making it as far.

Kaelee
July 12th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Mystery solved. It was my conditioner! It contained horsetail, which is high in silica. (which also irritated my scalp, which is why I had to switch back).

I switched back to Aussie, and my hair is soft and feels fine again! I know it didn't suddenly lose thickness, but I can no longer feel the strands between my fingers. :agree: