PDA

View Full Version : "My hair doesnt like it"

teddygirl
July 7th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I've noticed a lot of people have said this in regards to various things, silicones/sulphates/COwash/oiling/etc. What does that mean to you? Does whatever it is make it frizzy? Weigh it down? Same for things that your hair "likes". I know it is different for each person and each product, but I wonder more specifically about how these things affect your hair.

juliaxena
July 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Wait till you meet talking hair :P :D

Hootenanny
July 7th, 2013, 12:58 PM
For me, it could mean any of the things you listed: I think my hair "doesn't like x" if it makes it frizzy, weighs it down, or poofs out the curls (unless that is the look I'm going for that day). I would say my hair "likes" something if that thing defines my curls and moisturizes my hair.

summergreen
July 7th, 2013, 01:05 PM
For me it would be anything that makes my hair look straighter, flatter or thinner. Or caused splits, I guess. :)

LornaDoone
July 7th, 2013, 01:06 PM
When we say our hair doesn't like something, what we mean is that we don't like how our hair looks/feels/behaves etc as a result of whatever product/method/routine etc. So, when I say that my hair doesn't like being brushed, what I mean is I don't like how my hair gets frizzy after I brush it. The reasons someone says that are varied and could be any number of things. What is important is to find out what your hair likes :)

Firefox7275
July 7th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Varies from product to product and ingredient to ingredient for me. Most shampoos make my hair poofy/ fluffy, ill defined and unmanageable; certain ingredients in conditioners can build up weighing my curls down, or leave it frizzy, stringy, sticky or straw-like. My hair likes things if it is some combination of defined, wavy/ ringlety, shiny, soft/ silky, bouncy or generally manageable. Compliments from others helps confirm my own opinion.

I do think sometimes we don't give products or techniques a fair chance: my hair can look really good with one particular protein rich conditioner and also a humectant rich gel, but together they are not great. I also think sometimes we can overdo things and then declare our hair hates it: curlies using huge amounts of hydrolysed protein or long hairs using penetrating oils straight up or daily instead of introducing these powerful actives in moderation as ingredients. Balance is key.

kitschy
July 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
It varies from poster to poster. I used to post on naturallycurly.com. The purpose there is to make your curls more defined and, well, curlier. My hair didn't much like any of the processes over there, but mostly because I don't much like the plastic-like curls that come from lots of product - I prefer a fuller, perhaps frizzier look. Over there they told me that my length was pulling out my 3b curls so that they were no longer 3b curls, but I prefer the look of my elongated stretched 3b curls over their plastic, perfect curls.

Therefore while they might say their hair didn't like my products and methods, I would say that my hair (in reality I) didn't like their products and methods. It is really all about achieving a result that makes you happy, and not that there exists a perfect product or method for everybody. Each to their own, I say.

LadyCelestina
July 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM
To me that's anything that makes my hair feel dry and tangly or look oily right after washing.I don't mind oily on day 3 or 4,but it bothers me if it's oily after I just washed it.

That's one thing and then also whether my scalp is ok or not.I believe your hair and scalp should be in balance,don't sacrifice a happy scalp for happy length or vice versa.

ladylowtide
July 7th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Doesn't like:
-things that make it lank
-dirty looking
-tangly
-crunchy
-dry
-anything scalp hurty
-things that make it look like a shampoo commercial
-clean yet not dry
-silky
-things that make it get compliments! :)

Vampyria
July 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
For instance to much protein and sulphates causes breakage and split ends for me, wrong conditioner makes my hair stiff, waxy and rough. When it likes something (oils, agave syrup, appropriate conditioner) it's smoother, shinier, softer.

nobeltonya
July 7th, 2013, 02:27 PM
My hair doesn't like: cowashing, no washing, water only, cone-free anything, sulfate-free anything, brushes..
- With these things, my hair is dull, limp, horrible...

My hair likes: sulfate shampoo [Sunsilk or Dabur Vatika], coney conditioners [Aussie Miraculously Smooth or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration], coney leave-in [Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine], wide-tooth combs, coconut oil, humidity..
- With these things, my hair is wavy, shiny, manageable, smells good, looks good, feels clean..

You have to experiment to find what your hair likes and doesn't like.. it took me about 1.5 years of experimentation.. :) :disco:

Sharysa
July 7th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I've noticed a lot of people have said this in regards to various things, silicones/sulphates/COwash/oiling/etc. What does that mean to you? Does whatever it is make it frizzy? Weigh it down? Same for things that your hair "likes". I know it is different for each person and each product, but I wonder more specifically about how these things affect your hair.

If my hair doesn't like something:

1. It snarls up.
2. It gets limp/oily/dull/crunchy.
3. It breaks a lot.
4. It frizzes/dries out.
5. It sheds.
6. Or my HAIR might like something, but my SCALP itches or dries out.

My hair doesn't like coconut oil (crunchy and oily), co-washing (turns into an oil slick and my scalp itches), daily combing (frizzes and breaks), or daily shampooing (frizzes and goes limp).

If my hair DOES like something, it will:
1. Move well.
2. Tangle normally or less.
3. Be moisturized/shiny.

And a bonus like is if my hair stays wavy/curly for a long time, but that's mainly because I'm on the 1c/2a border and I prefer the wavy side. My hair likes fingercombing (plus using an actual comb on wash day), twice-weekly washes, and post-shower oiling.

NoRush
July 7th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Since discovering LHC I've experimented a bit with different moethods and producs and this is what I've found:

My hair doesn't like:
Cones: they build up like crazy, after 2 or so uses it looks like I haven't washed in a week, plus I don't find them detangling.
ACV rinses: they do nothing for my hair except worsen tangles, which is completely weird because it's the opposite for most people.
CoWashing: shedsville anyone?
Water only method: see cowashing.
Combs: ripping mess and no proper detangling.

Loves:
No cones: perfect smoothness, I LOVE THESE!!! :P I've been so happy since discovering the no cone route.
Brushes: both BBB and regular paddle brush.
Fingers: for wet detangling, I don't need anything else, my hair is really slippery and smooth atm.
Argan and jojoba oils: for prewash and/or leave in.
Flaxseed oil: as detangling help

Indifferent:
Sls or SLS-free shampoos: I use SLSfree because they're gentler but I see no real huge difference in manageability between the two types. ALso SLSfree poos usually have no cones.
Airdrying/blowdrying: airdrying doesn't do my dermatitis any favors so I blow dry on cool and low speed, both methods have different look result obviously but I don't mind either, so I airdry somethimes but nto every wash or my scalp brings out the big guns on me :)

rut.de.leu
July 7th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Usually if I say that my hair doesn't like something, I mean that it makes it visibly oily/greasy. Sometimes I'll use it to mean dullness, but that's about it.

ravenreed
July 7th, 2013, 05:01 PM
If something makes my hair feel crispy, gives me split ends immediately, or generally makes my hair feel like straw, I know my hair isn't happy with it.

teddygirl
July 7th, 2013, 05:52 PM
This is very interesting and informative! I am currently cone/protein/sulfate free and slowly working things back in to see how my reacts to specific ingredients. I just always wonder what people mean for their specific hair, as obviously it is different for each person.

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2013, 08:43 PM
It means our hair doesn't like a product. Meaning it doesn't look or feel right.

anitacs9101
July 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I don't really know because I haven't found many things my hair doesn't like...my hair seems to HATE protein. I tried horse shampoo and my hair was like a big rat ball that refused to stay detangled. My hair also acts funny sometimes if I don't clarify after a while, tangly and dry and oily etc.

jeanniet
July 7th, 2013, 11:11 PM
If I use the right combination of the right products, I get big, soft, full curls and ringlets with very little frizz. I can use quite a bit of the right kind of gel and no one would even know I had gel in my hair. The wrong products give me frizz and make my hair feel coated.

Quixii
July 7th, 2013, 11:32 PM
When I say my hair doesn't like something, I just mean it doesn't respond favourably to it in some way (or many ways). Usually this means frizzy, tangly, not curly, dry feeling.

Buddaphlyy
July 9th, 2013, 12:04 PM
When I say my hair doesn't like something, it means that using the product/technique makes my hair feel "not normal" for me and my hair. 'Normal' hair for me is soft, defined coils/curls with a low amount of tangles and decent amount of sheen. I don't like things that don't give me these results on a consistent basis. And I totally agree with Firefox7275, you have to have balance and find good combos. For example, I recently tried out a new deep conditioner that is good on it's own, but doesn't seem to mix well with other steps in my regimen. I would say I my hair likes it, but I just can't use it right now.

sarahthegemini
July 9th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Anything that makes my hair flatter, lank, limp, weighed down etc. I have fine hair and I need products that give it a bit of body. I definitely do NOT like V05 shampoos/conditioners :(

heidr
July 9th, 2013, 12:47 PM
If my hair doesn't like something it gets frizzy or limp and weighed down.

Suze2012
July 9th, 2013, 03:44 PM
My hair likes:

Co washing - less frizz.
Co washing in summer with humectant free products or it can become limp and or frizzy.
Co washing in winter with products with glycerin as it pulls moisture in making it feel less dry.
Spritzing a glycerin solution on when I get out of the bath in winter.
Air drying
Finger combing.
Coconut deep treats.
Being put up overnight
Very smooth microfibre towels or a t-shirt to scrunch with.

My hair dislikes:
Combs - cause frizz
Brushes - uber frizz
Sulphates - dries my hair out
Silicones - I just don't use them or I would need to use a harsher way to wash - vicious circle.
Hairdryers - cause frizz
Diffusers - cause frizz
Ordinary towels - cause frizz
Being left down overnight - cause frizz.
Too much curl creme - makes it feel rough and crunchy.

I would like.....to be able to buy any old shampoo and conditioner, be able to comb the conditioner through when it's wet and be able to blow dry it...but my hair doesn't like it! Lol!

torrilin
July 9th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I might say my hair likes something, but I don't usually say my hair doesn't like a product or method. For me, "likes" is a convenient shorthand for "easy to detangle, not dry feeling, not frizzy feeling, no itchy scalp, no breakouts etc". There's a really long list of things that I dislike in dealing with my hair, and if I say my hair "likes" a product, I'm not dealing with those issues.

I prefer to be more specific with the problems I identify with a product or method. My hair is fine and my scalp is quite dry, and I occasionally mention that my hair can't handle blow drying and it leads to a lot of split ends for me. Fine hair tends to be harder to moisturize to begin with, and it's often quite fragile and tangle prone. Add in the dry scalp and my relatively densely packed hair follicles and it's small wonder that blow drying gives me trouble. Lots of potential for mechanical and heat damage, and my hair is quite prone to both to begin with. Really not a good combination. Other posters blow dry and are quite happy doing so. Doesn't mean they're wrong, or that I'm wrong. It means our hair is different :).

Cassie_
July 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Like others have said, the reasons vary from person to person and even product to product.

For me, "my hair doesn't like" coconut oil because it makes my ends crunchy. And it doesn't like baking soda as a shampoo replacement because my hair becomes static-y and tangled and feels like those pictures of people who just stuck their finger in an electrical outlet.

Emanuelle
July 10th, 2013, 05:26 AM
My hair doesn't like:

- Sulfates. Even sodium laureth sulfate dries it out badly. My hair feels rough and is frizzy. I can't even use my sulfate-free poo (low-poo) everytime, I co-wash.
- Brushes. Destroys my ringlet-curl pattern, which is simply a big shame. Also, I get less splits if I don't brush.
- Anything with peppermint... it dries my hair out so bad. I don't know why.
- strong hold gels - weighs it down.

Foxylocks
July 10th, 2013, 07:05 PM
My hair shows its hatred of whatever I do to it by shedding terribly :(
My hair will shed if exposed to:
Acidity (lemon in a henna mixture, acv)
Conditioner of any kind
Brushing
Most oils
being left down (not in a braid or bun)
Infrequent washing (needs daily washing)

If my hair likes something, it will show its gratitude by not shedding tons. :no:

lapushka
July 10th, 2013, 07:27 PM
My hair can pretty much cope with any kind of product, except I don't like the sulfate-free shampoos; my oily scalp needs the harsher cleansers. That and it doesn't appreciate being brushed/combed when dry (messes up the wave pattern). But apart from that, anything goes.

ExpectoPatronum
July 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM
My hair shows distaste by being frizzy or by shedding a lot.

My hair dislikes:
-Brushes (frizz)
-Co-washing. (No frizz! But my hair shed a ton)
-Not being washed every day.
-Sulfate Free shampoos...
-Denman brushes.

My hair likes:
-Coconut oil
-Braids
-Herbal Essences products. (seriously what's in that stuff? I haven't met one of their products my hair doesn't like)
-...Actually. Maybe it's the silicones in HE products. My hair responds very well to silicones.
-Boar bristle brushes. (Not often as it makes my hair shed).
-Hot oil treatments.

This isn't really a 'like' per se, but my hair flat irons really well. I only do it a couple times a year, but every time I do my hair stays very sleek and soft and shiny for days after I flat ironed it.