PDA

View Full Version : Does Taking Fish Oil Really Make an Impact to Your Hair?

ChristmasFnatic
July 7th, 2013, 07:18 AM
It says it improves hair. And even on dogs, fish oils are recommended for better coats/furs.

Wondering if anyone knows if it really makes a noticeable difference for us humans and elves.

THANKS!

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I've taken flaxseed oil and I can't tell if it does. I've taken it since April.

Firefox7275
July 7th, 2013, 08:58 AM
The essential fatty acids (long chain omega-3s DHA and EPA) in fish body oils can improve scalp and follicle health because they are powerful anti inflammatories, strengthen the skin's barrier function, can alter the amount and composition of sebum, even the ceramides in the hair itself. Omega-3s balance out omega-6s which are overly represented in the western diet and are pro inflammatory (except GLA).

Better than a supplement is whole oily fish which is also a rich source of bioavailable vitamin D, protein and many other nutrients all of which are important for healthy skin. Flaxseed oil is not a good substitute, the conversion of the short chain omega-3 to the useable long chain format can be as low as 10%. If you are vegetarian or cannot eat fish a DHA/ EPA rich marine algae extract is an option.

Silverbrumby
July 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I take fish oil every day and I think it's just an easy way to maintain good health. The only supplements I've noticed making a difference for me is biosil and biotin.

teddygirl
July 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I dont personally take it, but I give it to both my dogs. I notice a difference, but it could also be due to other factors as well. One of my dogs has very very dry skin, and will scratch alot. The fish oil really helps with her skin, so she is not scratching, which in turn makes her coat look nicer. I really hate the fishy burps, which is the main reason I dont take it myself. I may try krill oil, which is supposed to be similar but without the fishiness.

teddygirl
July 7th, 2013, 12:11 PM
The essential fatty acids (long chain omega-3s DHA and EPA) in fish body oils can improve scalp and follicle health because they are powerful anti inflammatories, strengthen the skin's barrier function, can alter the amount and composition of sebum, even the ceramides in the hair itself. Omega-3s balance out omega-6s which are overly represented in the western diet and are pro inflammatory (except GLA).

Better than a supplement is whole oily fish which is also a rich source of bioavailable vitamin D, protein and many other nutrients all of which are important for healthy skin. Flaxseed oil is not a good substitute, the conversion of the short chain omega-3 to the useable long chain format can be as low as 10%. If you are vegetarian or cannot eat fish a DHA/ EPA rich marine algae extract is an option.
Now it makes sense lol. Thanks for posting this!

UP Lisa
August 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
I've taken it for years, and have never noticed a difference in my hair.

The-Young-Maid
August 22nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
I've never heard of fish oil specifically being good for hair but I guess it should because of all the fatty acids. I take Evening Primrose oil but I haven't been taking it long enough to notice anything yet. I've been taking a Hair,Skin and nails vitamin and noticed improvements in everything(including increased hair/nail growth). And I've been wanting to try MSM because it might decrease shedding - I really hope so.:ponder:

WilfredAllen
August 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
I started taking oil a couple months ago, however, I also take other supplements (multivitamin, cayenne), and I changed my hair routine at the same time, so I can't say if the fish oil has been responsible for the positive changes to my hair!

McFearless
August 22nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
I wonder about the potency of fish oil supplements and their effectiveness. I'll have to look into it more but I think in this case getting omega 3 fatty acids from whole foods is necessary.

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
It says it improves hair. And even on dogs, fish oils are recommended for better coats/furs.

Wondering if anyone knows if it really makes a noticeable difference for us humans and elves.

THANKS!

I try to take it for overall health, so never really looked at a difference in hair. But I hear it's great for elves! :henny:

prettyinpink
August 23rd, 2013, 12:15 AM
I started taking it about 4 months ago and I noticed the hair by my roots are really shimmery. I also put some coconut oil in my tea and coffee because the fatty acids are supposed to be really healthy.

Haybop
August 23rd, 2013, 12:23 AM
If it is good for the hair then that's great - I already take it for my joints so a bonus would be nice ;)

Stray_mind
August 23rd, 2013, 02:46 AM
I took fish oil for a month but i don't remember my hair improving. Maybe it was too short of a time to really notice something. I've heard though that it's good for hair.

Northerner
August 23rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
Possibly. I took fish oil for three months. I did not see much of an impact while I was taking it, but a few weeks after I stopped my hair started falling out at an alarming rate, and this continues for two months. I have not changed anything in my hair care routine, diet or medications. And yes, I have been oiling scalp 2-3 per week and washing with ayurvedic herbs for the last year, so the hair loss is not due to chemicals. I am going to see a doctor, but maybe my body just needs fish oil.

Northerner
August 23rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Actually, I was taking fish oil for six months, not three...