PDA

View Full Version : Does Conditioners "Work" On First Use?

ChristmasFnatic
July 6th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Or is it like some products where the effects are seen after a few weeks of continued usage?

Just wondering about it. Esp. conditioners that says its for frizzy hair, etc.

honeybunnie8
July 6th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I personally find it either works or doesn't but you might want to clarify to make sure it's not build up preventing it from working the way it should.

ChristmasFnatic
July 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Actually, just wondering about the science behind it. Been using conditioner since forever, that I forgot if it made my hair softer on the first day or after a few weeks.

Firefox7275
July 6th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Depends on the issue being addressed, your overall routine, the severity, the ingredients and the pH of the product. Frizz/ poof is often hidden wave/ curl, if you carry on altering the charge of the hair with sulphate shampoos and breaking up the wave/ curl with brushing a conditioner is highly unlikely to resolve that. Many frizz tamers are just silicones, the effect is temporary not cumulative unless you get build up. Some ingredients can penetrate or accumulate particularly on damaged hair hair and improve the condition of hair over time - coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, panthenol for example.

ChristmasFnatic
July 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Wow. So much to learn. Thanks though. Looking forward to learn more. My hair is becoming frizzy as the rebond wears off.

Siiri
July 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM
It took me a couple of washes to get the static out when I switched from using just oil shampoo to shampoo and conditioner. I have used just basic moisturizing conditioners, not "reconstructing" ones with proteins. The way I see it, with conditioners you're essentially trying to get the right amount of build up on your hair to condition it. I don't mean "build up" in a negative way here. It depends on the properties of the ingredients how quickly they do this, and the amount you need would depend on the condition of your hair. But then when it starts to build up too much, that's not good either, so you clarify the extra build up.

ChristmasFnatic
July 6th, 2013, 12:29 PM
What do you mean not good if too much build up? And how to stop it? Change conditioner?

Firefox7275
July 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Wow. So much to learn. Thanks though. Looking forward to learn more. My hair is becoming frizzy as the rebond wears off.

Have you considered embracing your wave/ curl instead of fighting it? Rebonding is damaging to your hair so ultimately you will be making it more frizzy.

ChristmasFnatic
July 6th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Have you considered embracing your wave/ curl instead of fighting it? Rebonding is damaging to your hair so ultimately you will be making it more frizzy.

Well I dont mind it at first, but now if I leave it as it is, it actually looks kinda horrible esp. when its dry. My hair spreads wide til around the shoulder area.

Came to this forums to learn more, how to avoid this or what products to use.

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I'd clarify and try again.

Firefox7275
July 6th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Well I dont mind it at first, but now if I leave it as it is, it actually looks kinda horrible esp. when its dry. My hair spreads wide til around the shoulder area.

Came to this forums to learn more, how to avoid this or what products to use.

Research the Curly Girl method, lots of information on YouTube and on NaturallyCurly.com: if you have 'triangle head' you may also benefit from long layers.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/112354-before-after-wavies.html

nobeltonya
July 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
It seems to depend on the type of conditioner.. for me, I have to have coney ones.. otherwise my hair is really wiry and straw-like. I've only found 2 so far that my hair cooperates with for long periods of time [like a year or 2]: Aussie Miraculously Smooth [used that for like 2 years..], and recently Herbal Essences Hello Hydration [like 5-6 months now]. But my hair likes those.. you have to experiment and see which ones your hair likes.. :disco:

Siiri
July 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
What do you mean not good if too much build up? And how to stop it? Change conditioner?

I mean if you get too much build up from conditioners or other hair products, you're hair can start feeling waxy or dry. To get the excess build up out people usually use a clarifying shampoo, and for some just a regular shampoo is enough, it depends on the type of build up. You may not need to get all out and strip the hair completely though.

spidermom
July 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I've noticed that the effect lasts through several shampoos (buildup maybe). I was getting ready to do a Manic Panic type dye a year or so back, and the directions say to wash but do not condition. It was probably 3 or 4 washings before I stopped feeling that slippery conditioner feel.

jeanniet
July 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM
If you can be more specific about your hair and the products you're currently using, we can give you better advice. For example, do you heat style at all--blow dry, flat iron, etc.? Do you know what your hair type is? How often do you shampoo (if you do)?

Frizz is often due to the hair being curly or wavy, but not treated as such (brushed, etc.), but can also be caused by damage from heat, bleaching, and so forth. So if we know what you do with your hair, we can suggest some solutions.

ChristmasFnatic
July 6th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Wow. Thanks guys! Enjoying this community a lot already!

Ill make another thread and post my hair.

For now, as of conditioners, once you guys find what you like, do you stick with it or do you still change it once in a while?

Suze2012
July 7th, 2013, 02:06 AM
There were many things which stopped my frizz - I know for sure what causes me frizz now as over the year that I have started treating my hair differently I have tested things out to see whether they cause frizz or don't.

I pretty much use the curly girl method but I co wash.
I don't use sulphates nor silicones.
Only have a comb touch my hair when i get it cut a couple of times a year and fingercomb it the rest of the time.
Iuse a cheap microfibre sports towel.
I sleep with it up in a scrunchie
I don't use heat on it.
I buy and try a diffuser out on it but took it back to the shop as it caused frizz.

As others have said it depends on how else you treat your hair as well - also, some things work for some and not for others so experimenting is required.
I would suggest a clarify as others have as a start though.

Siiri
July 7th, 2013, 04:02 AM
For now, as of conditioners, once you guys find what you like, do you stick with it or do you still change it once in a while?

My hair isn't very picky, most conditioners I've tried give me the same results. I do change it occasionally, usually because I get bored with the scent or want to try something different, though typically I use the same stuff for like a year or half a year. Some here use the same products for years when they find the one they like. It isn't necessary to change if it works.

ChristmasFnatic
July 7th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys! Ill post pics of my hair soon!

Appreciate the help and knowledge!