PDA

View Full Version : Ever tried not to snip splits and have good experience?

Lockoptimisten
July 6th, 2013, 11:03 AM
When i was little girl My mother never cut My hair which was long and beutifull with fairy tail ends. I'm pretty sure i had lots of splits but it didn't stop My hair from growing long. Now i am thinking that if My hair looks god but have some splits maybe i don't have to trim? It feels so boring to trim and S&D to much when My hair finally is APL.
What do you guys think?

teela1978
July 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I never bother doing S&D. I do trim now and then but mostly because I don't love the look of fairytale ends on myself.

Lockoptimisten
July 6th, 2013, 11:16 AM
But do you ever have splits our white dots? And more important, do you ignore them and with god result (god looking hair)?

Firefox7275
July 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM
If you have splits at armpit length which you leave you risk wrecked hair by waist length, damage travels up the hair and can catch on healthier hair higher up. What is causing your cuticle to be so damaged you have split ends? Mechanical damage, alkaline or harsh products, UV damage, old heat styling, colour treating?

When you are young it's not so far from neck to waist and hair can grow very fast so waist length hair may not be nearly as old as adult waist length hair. Some of long haircare is boring, that is the nature of the beast. My hair is between armpit and bra strap length and is colour treated so damaged/ porous, the only splits I get at this length is one tiny section if I go through a phase of twirling it (pretty much obsessively). I used to have a ton of damage and breaks which I ignored for years until one day I realised how awful it looked and found LHC.

neko_kawaii
July 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM
My hair grew from pixie to waist with no trims or S&D. However once it was at waist I decided I wanted to grow to terminal, whatever that might be on me. I really don't care one way or another about split ends. A person would have to get damned close to my head to see if I have splits or not. BUT, if I want to grow to terminal with any kind of thickness along the length of my braid then trimming out split ends is a good idea for me because of the way that splits travel up the shaft thus shortening the strand that is spit thus thinning the braid. Also, splits increase tangling on other strands, removing tangles can cause damage and create more splits.

The consequence for me of growing from pixie to waist with no trims or S&D was that I had five inches of dry brittle ends that just kept splitting when cut and I ended up getting a hefty trim to remove them.

In the nearly two years since that trim I have learned that my hair does not split at the ends where a trim of the hemline would remove them. My hair splits higher up, so I S&D more often than I trim.

jeanniet
July 6th, 2013, 11:45 AM
At APL it's not likely you have too many splits, if any--if you have a lot of them, then you should look at how you might be damaging your hair, because that's a short length to have many splits. As your hair grows longer, though, splits are common for most people. You don't have to trim them, but there's advantages to doing so. Splits will cause hair to tangle at the ends, for one thing, which causes more damage. The other issue is that splits will both travel up the hair shaft and cause the hair to break at the weak points, which means that if you have a lot of splits you may end up with hair that doesn't grow much (because it breaks). A few splits, no problem. Lots of splits can be a big problem.

teela1978
July 6th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I see an occasional split or white dot, but to be honest I don't usually look for them :shrug:

I think healthy hair is more about what you don't do to your hair than what you do to it.

Anabell
July 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
S&D for APL hair sound hurtful for the neck and the eyes. Another thing- I don't think that splits should appear in this length. Maybe you have just a few of them, and that's O.K. If your hair is damaged (from dye, flat iron, etc) so you can microtrim here and there (not every month so you won't trim all your new grows).

spidermom
July 6th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Try it; see how it goes. My hair just loves to split, and if I don't trim it regularly, it starts looking awful and sticking together like Velcro.

I don't S&D anymore, other than obviously split hairs that stick out of my braids if I find myself sitting around with nothing else to do. Since I usually pin my braids up, I don't do even that much very often at all. It hurts my eyes, and I've never felt that it made a difference.

anitacs9101
July 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I don't really S&D. If I see one, I keep my hair scissors in my purse so I snip it out. But I'd rather just trim my hair.

But I have noticed the velcro effect when I have a lot of splits. I could just be imagining it though haha.

Lockoptimisten
July 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Okay! I Will do another S&D to get the last inch more healthy. It is from old
colour and bleeching. I pamper my hair these days and want the magic BSL-lenght asap

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I didn't need to trim very much until apl and that was a minor dusting then it was fine. Nowadays I don't look for splits.

QMacrocarpa
July 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM
<snip>It feels so boring to trim and S&D to much when My hair finally is APL.
What do you guys think?
I don't S&D (ever), and I'd guess that I spend no more than ten minutes per year doing a couple of self-trims (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/), so it doesn't really have a chance to get boring. If I go too long without trimming, I get bad velcro ends that tangle instantly and are just not pleasant to live with, but a couple small trims per year make a really big improvement for me. Some folks here don't S&D or trim and still don't have problems with splits and breakage, it depends very much on the resiliency of the hair. Maybe try checking on your ends every few months, and if they still seem fine, no need to trim.