PDA

View Full Version : Butchered Thin Hair Help!!

ebba
July 5th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hello there! So i am at a loss of what to do with my hair!

So my hair has always been nice and thick (pic related, happy me before haircut from hell)
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/ff.jpg
please excuse the duckface haha.

In January my hair got absolutely butchered (back layers only a few inches long ,uneven, just a mess) Since then I had a trim to fix it and just put some Henna in my hair but its just awful. I'm so embarrassed of it and I just clip it up and try to forget about it but when its down its just nasty, thin, borring and frizzy. Now that the bulk is in horrible short layer its pathetically thin

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/maximumcringe.jpghttp://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/ba.jpg

So what should I do? I've been taking Biotin, using oils, massages, deep conditioning treatments pretty much everything i've tried to speed up the process but I am at a loss. I have gained maybe an inch or too but the ends are baby fine & thin. Help me LHC you're my only hope!

lapushka
July 5th, 2013, 05:04 PM
What should you do? Nothing you *can* do, except have patience and wait for the shortest layer to grow back out. I'm sorry.

Kherome
July 5th, 2013, 05:05 PM
You've got to wait for it to grow, that is the only cure for bad haircuts. :(

ebba
July 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM
is there anything I can do to make the process less painful? maybe bangs or something other than clipping it up?

lapushka
July 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM
No, cutting more is going to make it even more painful, I'm fearing. Best to just clip it up and out of the way and... wait for it to grow back. Benign neglect as we call it here on LHC.

Lockoptimisten
July 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I agree, you have to step in to "benign neglect". Learn to do a nice updo like a tight braid and forget about it for maybe 6 months. I feel you pain, so sorry but you will have your dreamhair back

Achlys
July 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Bangs can make the rest of your hair look even thinner + then you would have to wait for that part to grow out, too. I think you must just clip it up and wait. :(

ebba
July 5th, 2013, 05:18 PM
thanks for all the responses! you all are of course right, I just got so sad about it haha. Benign neglect is what I have been doing and I guess will continue :)

Achlys
July 5th, 2013, 05:36 PM
If you want to protect your longest layer, then I think you could braid them on either side of your head (with shorter layers left loose) and cross the braids in the back and pin them to your head. I don't know if it would really work, but I got this idea when looking at your photos. :)

If you would like to wear it down sometimes and have more volume, then pin curls might work for your hair. If you like curls, that is.

But generally, just baby it and be healthy. And try not to worry too much, it's not good for hair. :lol:

SlightlySoprano
July 5th, 2013, 05:38 PM
As somebody with naturally thin hair, I can understand how you feel! I'm sorry to say that the rest of the members are totally correct in saying patience is key. You can also (if you're willing to part with some length) microtrim or trim a centimeter or so per month until you feel that your shorter layers have caught up with the longer layers and the ends look less thin. Now of course that probably means your hair will "stall" at your current length, but nothing will make your shorter layers magically catch up with the longer ones until you trim the longer ones.

LongCurlyTress
July 5th, 2013, 06:03 PM
thanks for all the responses! you all are of course right, I just got so sad about it haha. Benign neglect is what I have been doing and I guess will continue :)
Hi Ebba! I know exactly what you are going through as I have done the same thing. You can see my pics under LongCurlyTress on uTT. Hang in there, play with different hairstyles, clips, half ups, and before you know it, it will be long again. What prompted you to cut it short, if I may ask? Just put those scissors down and don't cut anything... I had to hide my scissors in the safe deposit box at the bank about two miles from our house so I would stop cutting it, and it worked! My hair is very curly but is now a bit below bsl when dry and brushed out, still at apl when left curly and it's been two years. Good luck and hang in there! It will grow!

LongCurlyTress
July 5th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Btw, are you on unTamedTresses? It is also a terrific hair community with some great encouraging and fun threads. One of my favorites is the "Inspiration photos" thread. Hope you can find me and my pics on uTT. I have my pictures marked private for friends only. ;) Take care!

Mommyof4
July 5th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I have a different point of view on what you should do... Just my 2 cent....

I had the same thing done to my hair, the hair dresser didn't know what to do with my thick, wavy hair, so she razored and thinning sheared it to DEATH.... thinking she was helping me???

I tried to nurse it back to life, but couldn't get that "feeling" I wanted it to have again...

I cut 1 inch off and gave it somewhat of a style...

IT WAS MUCH BETTER, because while it was shorter, it looked like a real haircut and didn't just look like funk..

PLUS, it looked healthy and felt better, because of the texture of my hair isn't made to be thinned out like that.

Your hair texture reminds me of mine...

It won't hurt to have it cut into more of a general cut, even if it's layered, and that way you can style it somewhat, instead of just hiding it..

Good luck with whatever you choose, and just remember, it will not be that way forever :)

majesticmoon
July 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM
you can always try clip in extensions. It help me when i had a bad hair cut when i was younger

irisheyes
July 5th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Try wearing a slouchy beret/cap. There are cotton lace styles available for summer. My daughter(age 24) wears them all the time when she doesn't have her very curly hair "done".

dulce
July 5th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I got a cut like that once,she cut so many layers into my shoulder length hair ,when I looked directly in the mirror, my hair was see through.I now very rarely go to a salon,I bought a CREACLIP[demos on utube].You might also try a barbers next time,many people have reported good results there.Hope your hair will grow fast-so frustrating..

luckyduck
July 5th, 2013, 09:45 PM
A cute head band, dangly earrings and a confident smile go a long way towards making you feel better about your hair. It is the classic fake it till you make it!

aspartame gram
July 5th, 2013, 10:09 PM
This reminds me when I had asked for a shorter cut and I got a mullet! Benign neglect and braids were my friends. Little headbands and colorful clips were, too. Like the colored bobby pins, you know? I couldn't even braid it for a while, so I would stick it into the smallest pony tail on the planet--you could barely tell it was even in a pony tail. :( I'm so sorry this happened! But rest assured, your hair WILL grow back!

I agree with everyone else, and think that once it does become a bit longer you can even out the ends. It will start to feel thicker, but you will not have much growth overall until everything catches up.

biogirl87
July 5th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Ebba, the members gave good responses above so I won't repeat what they said. But I want to let you know that I sympathesize with you as during my last two trims at the salon layers were added to my hair and it was razored (I think) a bit to texturize it. Both of which seemed to make my hair look thinner and now I'm wanting to grow my layers out. Hang in there as in time your hair will grow out. As others have said, try not to worry about your hair as I think our worry over our hair tends to work against us.

march_sun
July 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM
if I were in your shoes, I would trim to chin length and then leave it alone and let it grow. That's just me.

ebba
July 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Hi Ebba! I know exactly what you are going through as I have done the same thing. You can see my pics under LongCurlyTress on uTT. Hang in there, play with different hairstyles, clips, half ups, and before you know it, it will be long again. What prompted you to cut it short, if I may ask? Just put those scissors down and don't cut anything... I had to hide my scissors in the safe deposit box at the bank about two miles from our house so I would stop cutting it, and it worked! My hair is very curly but is now a bit below bsl when dry and brushed out, still at apl when left curly and it's been two years. Good luck and hang in there! It will grow!

thanks for the reply! and I went to a very popular salon and asked for a tiny trim and said no more than an inch which turned into 2'' off the length and 6'' layers from hell even after I said not to mess with the layers as well. I'm definatly never going there again
i've posted it here before but here was the original cut before going to a deva curl trained hairstylist to try and fix it but there wasn't much she could do.
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/Photoon2013-03-11at2025.jpg

as you can see it was tragic lol, but alas what can you do.

ebba
July 5th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I got a cut like that once,she cut so many layers into my shoulder length hair ,when I looked directly in the mirror, my hair was see through.I now very rarely go to a salon,I bought a CREACLIP[demos on utube].You might also try a barbers next time,many people have reported good results there.Hope your hair will grow fast-so frustrating..

that looks cool, i'll have to try it after my hair gets longer

ebba
July 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Btw, are you on unTamedTresses? It is also a terrific hair community with some great encouraging and fun threads. One of my favorites is the "Inspiration photos" thread. Hope you can find me and my pics on uTT. I have my pictures marked private for friends only. ;) Take care!

I forgot I had an account there thanks for the tip! i'll add you

Micayla47
July 6th, 2013, 12:07 AM
i agree with the poster who said wear it up and if you wear it down try pin curls. that's the one advantage (imo) to layers is they look good when curled. try to enjoy them a little. and if it makes you feel any better, most of us on lhc have been through similar experiences. :grouphug:

BlazingHeart
July 6th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I can't imagine what that first stylist was thinking!

I think if this was my hair, I would want to get everything as close to one layer as I could, maybe chin level? The other option I see is to maintain the current length with frequent trims until most of your hair catches up. I'd temporarily sacrifice growth to fix the cut. Just my two cents, I know a lt of people are much more focused on length than I am.

Ashenputtel
July 6th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Hi ebba I'm also in the same situation. I also have thick hair that got seriously butchered by too much layers. I had bsl hair and I cut the last layer back to about 1 inch bellow apl to fix it myself. Now actually it looks much better even if some layers are pretty short. I woud suggest the same one chop of max 2 inches and then let it grow back. Nothing wort than the mushroom effect.

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I agree benign neglect is the best.

spidermom
July 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Regular small trims from the bottom-most layer on a regular basis.
I used to run gelled fingers through my hair when it was about that length, then let the layers fall however they fell. The less you do with short, wavy/curly hair, the better it looks. The more you try to style it, the more frizzy and shapeless it will get.

summergreen
July 7th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I would pin it back and get a fake bun (not saying you NEED one, but it would cheer me up if I was waiting for the length to grow back) :)