PDA

View Full Version : Growing new hair

casam
July 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Shaved my head completely on August last year. This is my growth so far. Trimmed the mullets thrice (maybe).

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b524/casamy/9ecfc293-6177-4f60-a754-9f0ca2f488dc_zpsdab19ffd.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/casamy/media/9ecfc293-6177-4f60-a754-9f0ca2f488dc_zpsdab19ffd.jpg.html)

No complaints on my hair (gave up demanding and started accepting my natural hair actually) except for one. The hair on the top of my head is very thin. I mean the individual strands are thick but less number of hairs on the area.

Is there a way at all to increase the hair count and grow new hairs?

These are things I am doing presently for my hair. Don't know if it has helped to grow new hairs but the existing ones look better and I am loving it

1. Multivitamins along with seakelp (Sea kelp helps in thyroid, it seems. Can't comment on its result yet since it has only been a week.)
2. Spray my hair everyday with green tea and rosemary infused water. It helps in holding my curls and also cools my eyes.
3. Using Sulphate free shampoo. Very happy with the shampoo. My hair hates conditioner.
I usually mix shampoo and ACV half and half and use it. It has been working for me very well. Gives a nice bounce and shine to the hair.
4. Oil my hair with the mix of these oils everyday. Only a few drops though.
- Argan Oil
- Castor Oil
- Coconut oil
- Olive Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
with few drops of Rosemary and lavender EO.

Here is a picture of the top of my head

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b524/casamy/photo_zps7a2f9a6c.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/casamy/media/photo_zps7a2f9a6c.jpg.html)

jacqueline101
July 5th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Looks nice.

rainfortheend
July 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I'm recovering from hair loss, and when I rinse my hair with black tea and a little bit of ACV (probably 24 oz: 4 oz dilution) I shed a lot less. Also, the caffeine helps hair grow faster!

Lockoptimisten
July 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM
You are on your way, congrats

Firefox7275
July 5th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Have a check up from your family doctor or a dermatologist if you feel your hair has thinned.

casam
July 6th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Have a check up from your family doctor or a dermatologist if you feel your hair has thinned.

I am being treated for thyroid problems. But that has been there for almost 12 years now.

BlazingHeart
July 6th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Do you know when the hair loss occurred? Also, it takes a while before thyroid treatments start fixing air growth, 6-12 months after you get to an appropriate dose. When was your thyroid level last checked?

Did you talk to your doctor specifically about your hair thinning? There are quite a variety of things that can cause hair loss, and it is virtually impossible to do anything about it without knowing what the cause is.

CindiAnnwynbri
July 6th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Thank you for these suggestions. I am an old member who just returned. I lost my hair two years ago due to chemo for treatment for Lymphoma. My hair is now long enough to pull up with a banana clip, but I'm looking forward to having enough to make a bun and start using my hair toys again.

Cindi

spirals
July 6th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Castor oil? It's helped my thinning eyebrows grow in somewhat. They'll never be like Brooke Shields' again, but they're better than last year. I put some on almost every night.

red-again
July 6th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Sweet almond oil can apparently reduce hair growth. Some do find it works the other way, and helps with growth but more seem to find it can slow growth. Might be worth giving it a miss?
A protein rich diet may also help to promote new growth

AmyBeth
July 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Try daily massage. Just hang your head down and massage for a couple of minutes a day. Any thing good for the scalp is likely to benefit the hair.

majesticmoon
July 6th, 2013, 10:25 AM
have you tried scalp massage?

casam
July 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Do you know when the hair loss occurred? Also, it takes a while before thyroid treatments start fixing air growth, 6-12 months after you get to an appropriate dose. When was your thyroid level last checked?

Did you talk to your doctor specifically about your hair thinning? There are quite a variety of things that can cause hair loss, and it is virtually impossible to do anything about it without knowing what the cause is.

The hair loss has been a gradual process. One day I suddenly realized, especially on seeing this photo that my sis took of my scalp, that I have thinned out badly.

casam
July 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Sweet almond oil can apparently reduce hair growth. Some do find it works the other way, and helps with growth but more seem to find it can slow growth. Might be worth giving it a miss?
A protein rich diet may also help to promote new growth

Oh! I will quit Almond oil right away and see how it goes. Upping my proteins these days. Hope it helps. Thanks for the input.

casam
July 7th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Try daily massage. Just hang your head down and massage for a couple of minutes a day. Any thing good for the scalp is likely to benefit the hair.

Unfortunately, this scalp massage thing works against me. I see a lot of shedding on the days I get head massage, however mild and good it is. :cry:

PeacenQuietGal
July 7th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Casam, how about Rogain for Women? I have read that it is an effective treatment, and I think I have seen members on this board post positive results with Rogain. But yes, congrats indeed because you are well on your way! Excellent progress and so shiny too!

McFearless
July 7th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Congrats on the rapid hair growth!
I have a similar looking crowd, though my thinning was caused by many years of constant hair straightening. Most of the damage to my hair follicles has been permanent sadly, but applying a tiny amount of castor oil to the scalp and allowing it to fully absorb before repeating the process for over a year has helped a lot with regrowth. Once my progress started to plateau with that treatment I switched to diluted essential oils and have gotten success with that as well.

Eolan
July 8th, 2013, 02:57 AM
I am being treated for thyroid problems. But that has been there for almost 12 years now.

I second Firefox7275, I think you should see your doctor. If your hair loss has something to do with your thyroid problem maybe you need to get your medication updated. If your hair loss has nothing to do with your thyroid or your health in general, you will at least have ruled it out. Trying a bunch of different home remedies for hair loss without knowing the reason for it is not going to do you any good. Take it from me who had a huge shed due to my psoriasis a few years back. No oil could fix that, I needed cortisone. As soon as I got on with that treatment my shedding stopped and the hair grew back in again.

Good luck!

casam
July 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Casam, how about Rogain for Women? I have read that it is an effective treatment, and I think I have seen members on this board post positive results with Rogain. But yes, congrats indeed because you are well on your way! Excellent progress and so shiny too!

Honestly, I am afraid to use Rogain after reading about its side effects and so. I have reserved Rogain for my later years of life when these side effects don't matter much.
and Thanks for the compliments. Must have been one of my good hair days.

casam
July 8th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Congrats on the rapid hair growth!
I have a similar looking crowd, though my thinning was caused by many years of constant hair straightening. Most of the damage to my hair follicles has been permanent sadly, but applying a tiny amount of castor oil to the scalp and allowing it to fully absorb before repeating the process for over a year has helped a lot with regrowth. Once my progress started to plateau with that treatment I switched to diluted essential oils and have gotten success with that as well.

This castor oil seems to thicken individual hairs in my case. Did that induce new hairs for you? Also what EO's do you use? I am using Rosemary and Lavender and don't see any new hairs growing.