PDA

View Full Version : Is this damage?

march_sun
July 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7363/9210332102_e3cf71466a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96679111@N05/9210332102/)

The strand on the left is what I normally find. The middle is a bad example, but I sometimes find a strand which is normal all the way down except that the tip has a crinkle or wave. The third strand is what has really been bothering me. It is crinkled all the way to the top of the strand and the thickness is uneven on the strand. I find them at the crown of my head which leads me to believe that they are damage from heat styling (although I only heat style once every few months) and from wearing a hat at work.

I don't find any traditional splits, so I am wondering if my hair just crinkles rather than splitting. Or, do I just get the occasional funky strand?
Thanks!

Jeleebaby
July 4th, 2013, 10:52 AM
It looks to me from the picture that the texture is different in the wavy hair, it looks thicker than the first example, if this is the case I would say (based purely on the pictures) that you've just got a few follicles making slightly different hairs.

spidermom
July 4th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I've got hairs like that on my head, too - lots of them. I don't think it's damage; I've just got some wonky hairs. I've got hairs where the curl is counter-clockwise down the length for a few inches, then there's a relatively straight area, then the curl reverses. What's up with that?

Hair is weird.

march_sun
July 4th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Thank you! I do find longer hairs like the third example. I guess they just have a mind of their own.

artemishunt
July 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Oh I have hairs like these all the time! Pretty sure it's normal. Does your hair frizz easily by any chance?

Agnieszka
July 4th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I just found one like this few days ago, and it was not damaged I believe. I think it's just a type of hair. It was also a lot thicker than my usual hair.

Haybop
July 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I see a lot of darker, thicker, wavier hairs like these on my head a lot. I've always had some like this. I think it's just a different hair type to keep things intersting ;)

Firefox7275
July 4th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Probably just natural: you might stitch satin ribbon into your hat bands just in case. Heat styling should not cause permanent damage if you keep the heat low to medium, use a heat protectant (silicone based for flat ironing), only ever flat iron on bone dry hair ideally washed the previous day to be sure. What happens if you soak the strand in water then leave it to dry naturally?

aspartame gram
July 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I have pretty straight hair, and I have these hairs too! No worries, no damage! :)

PraiseCheeses
July 4th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Don't worry about it. :) I'm another with generally fine, generally light hair, and I find my fair share of them. (And I don't heat style.) They're coarse, crinkly, brown... and when it's hot and humid like this they stick straight up in the air - oh joy! I've come to think of them as natural volumizers, working to create a strong infrastructure for the rest of my hair.

I've seen a few people here refer to them as head pubes... :lol:

jacqueline101
July 4th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I think it's just hairs of different textures and curl pattern.

faellen
July 4th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I get hairs like that. I call them head pubes :)

dulce
July 4th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I have some wonky hairs like that too,plus smoother hairs,some parts of my head have different texture of hairs than elsewhere,so I vote you don't have damage.

turquoisedays
July 4th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I too have hair strands like that, which are very coarse and dark compared to my natural hair color.

WilfredAllen
July 10th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I get hairs like that. I call them head pubes :)

ME TOOOOO! I have one hair that zig-zags

the middle hair looks damaged though, to me.

lapushka
July 10th, 2013, 02:29 PM
It really shouldn't bother you. You have all kinds of hair on your head, they're certainly not uniform. I see nothing out of the ordinary. :)

Ahl
July 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM
My grey ones (well, the ones that would be grey if I didn't henna!) look like the one on the right... currently the few I have are all in the canopy - they like to poke out, say hello, and wave at people.

ravenreed
July 10th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I have every texture of hair from very fine and straight to very coarse and crinkled like the OP's picture. I think that is one reason my hair likes to tangle... all the different textures are going at it like :luke::slap:

junglenavaar
July 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM
i have a LOT of hairs like that. different follicles doing their own thing. nothing to worry about. i'd celebrate the diversity and see it as a gift.

shutterpillar
July 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM
I'm another with these hairs. I'd say my head of hair is about 1/3 wonky hairs, then the rest are fine and floaty. Makes for some crazy frizz and tangles!

stachelbeere
July 11th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I've seen a few people here refer to them as head pubes... :lol:

LOL! That is soooo accurate!!!
And I have those too! I generally have fine hair but I have the odd medium to coarse hair in various places. They also seem to have various thicknesses on one strand.