PDA

View Full Version : New here!

Beborani
July 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Hi I am new here though I have been reading the forum for probably a year or so off and on. I grew up with traditional south Indian haircare which involved daily light oiling with coconut oil, two braids tied off with ribbon (school uniform) or later elastic and weekly washes with shikakai after preoiling with warm sesame oil (heated with one unbroken red chili pepper which was removed). I had lovely thick long hair (my mother would keep the hemline trimmed and even so probably at tailbone). I also have good genetics--my mother's hair at 72 is still hip length or longer, thick and mostly dark. She shampoos these days though her hair is never without oil, immediately before and after. But...there is always a but, a confluence of events and medical issues made me lose 80 percent of my hair at 17-18 to the point my scalp was showing and I had to comb and style carefully. Even after health issues were resolved my lost hair were gone forever and I learnt to live with it--in some ways I was happy not to have so much invested in my hair since everyone would keep gushing about it.

For 30 years I learnt to live with less than perfect hair until I no longer remembered or cared about a few bald spots until I started meeting old school friends thanks to fb who made me realize what I had lost. So after bit of research and nothing to lose attitude I started using Rogaine for women. For first two months I focussed on one area near the back and persevered following directions religiously until I noticed lush new growth of hundreds of about an inch long hair (s) in the area. It was amazing to see it and my confidence grew and I started applying to other areas. My hairloss pattern by this time was that of female baldness--crown and top had hardly any hair and rest was also diffuse. Over a period of two years of continuous use of monoxidil I have gained back most of my hair --my ponytail has gone from 1.7 or less to 3.2 or so inches and after the newer hair grows longer I expect it to be 4 inches or more in a year.

I am posting this because most of anecdotal stories of Minoxidil on the net are horror stories of facial hair, hair loss and anything but hair regrowth. But my experience mirrors the research data and it has exceeded my expecations--new hair is thick, lush and all set to grow long to wherever my terminal length is. Right now I have multiple length hair due to new regrowth longest being 30 inches to shortest being new follicles! I have noticed that new hair follicles are generated close to existing ones so bald spots of even 2mm diameter take a while to fill in--hair doesnt regrow all over instantly which is why some people give up on this I think. I have also been careful not to put it right before bedtime (get on pillows) and let it drip down my face--wipe it immediately with wet washcloth.

Now that I have more than wispy hair I am learning about haircare from all of you and I have learnt a lot. I am incorporating some of traditional care with new ones learned here. i have switched to conditoner only washes and oil my hair before wash (had stopped all this by 16). My hair is wavy--a hairdresser had introduced me to mousse years ago but I have learnt a few more techniques from this and some other forums. I have layered v hemline, professionally cut and I intend to continue that as I like wearing my hair down and wish to enjoy the new growth.

Hope my story helps someone out there--I wouldnt recommend minoxidil to everyone with thinning hair (not even my daughter) but it is worth it for some women and they shouldnt be scared off from trying it.

(Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Pfizer or any pharma or any commerical enterprise involved with hair.

kellinaturalmom
July 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Welcome Beborani! Sounds like you've been through a lot with your hair, I'm happy you have found something that works for you!

aspartame gram
July 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Welcome, Beborani! Thank you for sharing your experience and what has worked for you! This will hopefully help any others who have been through similar situations. I am so happy you have been able to find a method that works for you, and that you are back where you wanted to be. ^_^

long&blonde
July 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
What an inspiring story!
wonderful of you to share it too, for those who wonder & need the advice.
I also really enjoyed hearing about how you cared for your hair, from childhood on.
totally related to what you said about one can look at attention dropping off when something about ones appearance changes-as a Blessing. So much attention,even positive can feel uncomfortable. Every dark cloud has a silver lining. :)
welcome to LHC!

AmyBeth
July 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hi, Beborani. I'm very happy for you. I also use minoxidil and believe it may have helped me, along with other techniques I have learned here on LHC. Nice hair is some compensation for growing older!

biogirl87
July 4th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the forums Beborani.

jacqueline101
July 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Welcome and I hope we can help you out.

Agnieszka
July 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Welcome Beborani. Thank you for sharing your story. I might try minoxidil in a future.

cranberrymoonz
July 4th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I did not read everything, but I must say that the indian haircare you had in your childhood sounds wonderful. So that is why indian women often have such beautiful hair.

Beborani
July 4th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Traditional haircare is wonderful especially viewed from distance of 30years and nostalgia--back then I couldnt wait to start using shampoo like in commericals! Science is wonderful too--I wouldnt have the hair I have now without it though traditional methods can certainly help nurture and maximize its potential.

melusine963
July 5th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I'm so glad you found something that works so well for you. :) I'm fascinated by the hair care you used as a child, expecially using a chili pepper. What exactly was it for? Did it have any particular effect on your hair? I learned about using cocunut oil on this forum, and it has been the absolute best change for my hair I can think of.

Welcome aboard!

Beborani
July 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I should add that the traditonal care was done by my mother/grandmothers--I was a passive recipient. The sesame oil was massaged into the scalp --the chili pepper was supposed to ward off cold. I am guessing all that massaging helped and there is some research on capsacin though I doubt they knew that! Also this was supposed to be done twice a week but with school it was impossible. They used to lament that modern day activities prevented girls from taking optimal care of their hair--the previous generation probably had more time. There was also a tradition of drying the hair over a bed of hot coal covered with sieve, scented with something called sambrani (a type of fragrant tree bark). I didnt have time for this though my grandmothers would use it for me when I visited them. The hair would smell nice all day and it was a treat in cooler months.

dulce
July 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Thank you for telling your story.At menopause[due to hormonal changes] I was horrified to get a bald spot behind my bangs and thinning temples,I tried the 5% minidoxidol[bought on net-cheaper!] and it worked well for me with no problems or side effects. The hair grew back and I use it for maintenance now just a few times a week.If you are not menopausal you don't want to get pregnant if you are using it[ as a precaution]

Beborani
July 5th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Dulce, glad to hear one more success story with Minoxidil. I agree which is why I said I wouldnt recommend it for all women though there is no reserach data on whether 2 percent is absorbed systemically --my experience tells me it does not because hair grows only in area where it comes in contact with the skin, not even in immediately adjacent area, but I wouldnt recommend it for pregnant/breastfeeding women.