View Full Version : Ever regret a trim?

Xan
July 3rd, 2013, 09:47 PM
As posted earlier I cut my hair to a deep V. It was waist now I'm 4" above but looks nice.

PeacenQuietGal
July 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
I've never regretted a trim because I enjoy the thick, blunt ends; but I have serious remorse about the stupid layers that I got in January of this year.

But it sounds like you are pleased with your trim for the most part??

Kaelee
July 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
I've seriously regretted it when my haircut was butchered by an inept stylist. Other than that, no. :)

jacqueline101
July 3rd, 2013, 10:48 PM
I've never regretted a trim but I've hated my layers and bleach high lights.

AnqeIicDemise
July 4th, 2013, 01:10 AM
I did.. the one time I knew in my gut language was going to be an issue but I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt he'd *listen* to me and clarify if he did not understand.

I said "I just want a blunt cut. Do NOT use a razor or thinning shears and certainly do NOT layer my hair. I *hate* layers." .... and.... guess what happened?

Yup, he used a razor, thinning shears AND gave me layers. Layers that were super uneven and mega choppy. I was in so much shock that I simply sat there in sheer silence, holding back my tears. My husband did manage to jump in at one point and tell him "No, no, NOT the razor" but it was too late. He'd already sliced through a good sized chunk of hair. He did put it down and kept going. I do vaguely remember at one point telling him "no layers" again but he simply smiled and insisted it would give my hair volume. It's make it look 'nice' and so I didn't argue.

That was like, four years ago and the majority of that butchered mess has been trimmed off. I got two more inches to go and its done! I haven't regretted a trim since, though. I learned to speak up and be assertive.

DarkCurls
July 4th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I regretted the most recent trim I had, since it was leaning more to the "cut" side of things (3-4 inches taken off). I missed the length and really regretted it for the first two weeks, but hair grows back and I've gotten used to the length now. I think I just need time after a trim.
But I'm really not enjoying putting my hair in updos with these new blunt ends. Ugh.

I hope you like your V.

Bagginslover
July 4th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Only regretted one trim, the last one I did on myself a few weeks back, where I managed to cut off 3 inches instead of the 1 I'd intended! Oops!! Still, no one to blame but myself for that, I'll ask DBF for help next time, he's very good with my hair :)

Agnieszka
July 4th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I almost never regret them as freshly cut hair always look better on me, but I'm seriously stressed out before going to the hairdresser. Last lady wouldn't listen when I told her to please stop ( she was finishing it off by layering, thinning the ends at the end after blow drying). She got angry and said she has to finish. I might consider mobile hairdresser next time, in my own house I will feel more secure and confident I think.

lapushka
July 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I regretted trims plenty of times. What else is new. :shrug:

MissAlida
July 4th, 2013, 06:53 AM
I regret them most of the time (I'm a bit of a trimming addict, since I learned how to trim my own hair), but I look at it as an experiment. I regret the loss of length, but I love it when my hair has layers and volume, since it curls up more. I just trimmed it yesterday and today. Trimming for me is always a process. I cut it a bit, then I cut a bit more, until I get the length that I like. I will probably never be able to grow past BSL, but at least it looks full, and the ends are healthy.

NoRush
July 4th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Not really regretted per se, I'm usually pissed after a trim because for the most part what I want cut and what gets cut are two vevry different half inches. (what else is new XD)

PinkyCat
July 4th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Regret - no.
Trauma - yes.
Inner turmoil - yes.

Anywhere
July 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I almost always regret trims, no matter how small (I always trim my hair myself). Its usually because I'm kicking myself in the butt for setting myself back 1~2 months on my goal of TBL though, since I've been trying to get there since 2009 to no avail.

Vampyria
July 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM
If I do it myself, never. When I trim, it's because something really bothers me. Well it's a bit different with my face-framing layers though. I cut them to wide twice already, and I have to grow out a part of it.

When I went to a hairdresser, there was only one time that I didn't regret it, because it was a different one (the one I had my whole childhood and teenage years always cut to much).

chen bao jun
July 4th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Yes, when I go to a hairdresser and they don't 'trim' but cut off a bunch or give me a style I didn't ask for.
Even though every time this is mentioned on LHC there are people who start complaining about 'hairdressing bashing' the fact that hairdressers exist who do this can be seen all through the threads, its just a fact.
doesn't sound like you went to one of those, though. I'm glad you're happy with your hair.
I did my last trim myself and don't think I cut quite enough off but can't say I 'regret' that as I can go back and take off more if it turns out to be an issue. While hair once taken off is just gone, even though more grows back it can take a while (and if you get unasked layers, it can take YEARS)

chen bao jun
July 4th, 2013, 10:39 AM
double post

spidermom
July 4th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I don't remember ever regretting a trim, but a major cut-back? Oh yes.

Angelica
July 4th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Trims at hairdressers, definitely, I have forgotten how often it ended back up on the shoulders. So I do tiny trims myself. I miss even an inch of length as it seems to make all the difference when I put it up.

dulce
July 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I had mine cut in a v recently and really like it.So no,I didn't regret mine.

biogirl87
July 4th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I don't think I ever regretted getting a trim but after one of last few trims I began to slightly regret having more layers added to my hair.

TroyaAbundant
July 4th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Any decrease of length now causes a little heart pang of loss. Whether I have a great, neutral or scary trim, my ends will feel smooth and improved - however, it just doesn't work "right" for a week or so. Does anyone else experience this?

Lady Neeva
July 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM
To me, if it's gone, it's gone. Besides, having APL hair is easier to manage.

I get annoyed for a while when I don't have the length to make a bun, but I get used to it.

AnqeIicDemise
July 5th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I just had this. I kept pawing at my tail bone expecting hair and found none. I'd panic, reach further up and find it.

So many little heart attacks!
Any decrease of length now causes a little heart pang of loss. Whether I have a great, neutral or scary trim, my ends will feel smooth and improved - however, it just doesn't work "right" for a week or so. Does anyone else experience this?

Syaoransbear
July 5th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I pretty much always do. I don't know, I guess I value length over health, because even if it's unhealthy with enough product and heat you can at least make it appear healthy. You really can't fake length, unless you get extensions, and half the time those are so easy to spot. I see so many girls with damaged APL hair and these weird healthy looking waist length hair extensions often of a slightly different texture/color, and their hair still looks only APL because the extensions are so obvious your eyes ignore the extensions hanging there as though it was an article of clothing or something.

I did a 4" trim in may and I'm still kind of mourning the loss of my hair. I went from pretty close to waist(my goal) to somewhere between APL and BSL. It looks so much better, but I just don't feel like myself with hair this short.

Magalo
July 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
A trim, I guess we're talking about 1/2-1" off right? Because I always like those. Nobody can stop the small difference in length but it makes the ends appears so much healthier. I love trims.

Anje
July 5th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Well, I'm regretting cutting bangs (it's hot out and they're in my face!!!), but that's not quite the same thing.

I generally cut my hair and don't look back, but I've never cut it to a length that can't be ponytailled. Growing out something short might land me in the looney bin. I do partially wonder what my hair would have been like if I hadn't spent about the last five years trimming my hair back to the same length, but I enjoy the thicker ends and reduced taper that I have now, even if I don't have knee-length strands.

Latte Lady
July 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Barley. I have two major trims a year and one touch up half way. My hair grows really fast so my major trims are three and four inches. I love the feel of my hair and the nice blunt ends and wear my hair out all day. When hair gets super long, no one but me can tell I've lost any sort length. Then I go to braid it at night and my braid feels short, is shorter, and I have a moment of distress. "Oh my God! I'm a shorn woman!" I get over it pretty fast though. Mid year trim is only a half inch or so to keep it looking nice and doesn't phase me.

heidr
July 6th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I regret getting my hair trimmed almost every time. I hate getting my hair cut but I tend to get a lot of split ends.

WilfredAllen
July 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I did a big trim two months ago to get rid of "damage" that I now suspect was product build up and protein overload :(

Mizumi
July 8th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I regretted a trim just once, when I asked a hairdresser for a 2 cm trim and she took about 10 cm :( I felt weird with my hair until it grew out. When I do self-trims, I never regret it, since I trim only as much as I need and ends feel then a lot better

ExpectoPatronum
July 9th, 2013, 12:07 AM
I pretty much regret every trim a day or two after I do it. Right after, I'm glad I did it because my ends always feel SO soft and look so nice. But then, I start thinking that I could have done more to keep my hair in good condition and that if I had been diligent with taking care of it, I wouldn't have needed to trim etc...After a couple days of that, I don't really notice the trim anymore.