PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure a high ponytail when you have thick. long heavy hair?

Dreamkitty
July 3rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
I tried to tie my hair with a normal elastic band but my ponytail always slopes down due to the weight and length of my hair. Im trying to find the perfect hair accessory to secure a high ponytail, one that feels comfortable and easy to use. I just brought a fountain hair clip but I don't have a clue how to use it and it is too fiddly to use.

Any tips?

carinkla
July 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Sorry, I cant help you out..have not succeeded in it yet ;)

lapushka
July 3rd, 2013, 08:35 AM
2 elastics over one another. It makes it more secure, and use thicker elastics, not the thin ones.

Anje
July 3rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
For a short time?

ETA: I imagine for thick hair (which mine is not), Bunjiis would work about the best. Of course you can't get those for love or money, but there are some similar hair bungee cords that wrap around a pony instead of being looped over. That way, you could get the right tension instead of having slack in the hair tie.

I don't know how you would wear it for long without pain, though. And if your hair happens to be fine, like mine, the section supporting the weight of the ponytail can start to break if you wear it that way regularly.

melusine963
July 3rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
I haven't managed this either, so I'll be keeping a beady eye on this thread.

teal
July 3rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
My hair is not particularly thick. In fact it's not thick at all, haha! ;) That said, it does manage to chew through elastics that are "thick" (1/4"? Whatever the standard width is of the ones in the mega packs of Goody no-metal elastics) on a fairly regular basis. Ive found that this business of droopy ponytails is multifaceted: the hair is stretching the elastic and the elastic is sliding down the hair. Both problems are annoying and hard to fix. There are some super thick elastics ive seen but havent tried. Some hair elastics have small sections of exposed rubber and this helps a bit. So does winding the elastic tightly around the hair, but of course this has diminishing returns as circumference increases. Honestly when I need my hair to stay up (UP up, not just out of the way) I will never choose an elastic. I'll bun it and anchor it with spin pins or sticks.

nobeltonya
July 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
I've found that my upzing! works well for a secure pony for my hair [relatively thick] for a while.. but with thick hair, you'd probably need a large one, which might not make a high enough pony for you. :disco:

Dorothy
July 3rd, 2013, 01:37 PM
I'm voting for prayer.
Or maybe 2 elastics, a bit of the pony hair to hide them, and a spin pin right through the middle of it all, catching the elastics between the tines on the front end.

sumidha
July 3rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Yup, two super burly elastics and a bit of hair wrapped around to hide them. And a super tough scalp that doesn't mind your hair being scraped to the top of your head and captured there for hours.

Even with all of that, I'm pretty sure I'll still hit a point at some point when my hair is just plain too long and thick to do the style comfortably...

Also, I just realized, one thing that I always do is make the ponytail with my head upside down, so gravity is helping the hair go where I want it, I don't think I would be successful at all if I tried to do it with my head held normally- the hair would just sag down and not cooperate. Sneaky hair.

Astrophil
July 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM
I've occasionally succeeded at this by making a half-ponytail first with the top half of my hair, secured well with either one thick elastic or two thin ones, and then pulling the rest of my hair up to the half-ponytail and securing the whole thing with another thick elastic or two thin ones. The upper half helps support the lower half, and it's not hard to hide the dividing line between the two.

hypersensitive
July 3rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
I'm already getting a headache just from reading this thread.

I'm thinking it is impossible to get a high ponytail to stay. Perhaps the spin pins would work, coupled with very very thick hair elastics

dulce
July 3rd, 2013, 08:55 PM
I have hip plus fairly thick hair and the only thing that holds all my hair in a high pony[with no elastic or pins] is a wide toothed African Butterfly clip.

MaRo
July 3rd, 2013, 11:35 PM
you can secure the elastics with bobby pins!
make your ponytail, slide the bobby through one loop (open end to the scalp) and flip it down. use so much bobbys as you prefer.
but it may happen that the bobbys will push onto your scalp.

spirals
July 4th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I have these ponytailers that are covered in fabric woven of something akin to embroidery floss. I guess they're made for thick hair, as they are 1/3" thick. They're like ponytailers on steroids. I found them at Dollar Tree a couple of years ago and haven't seen them since. If I need more I will try a beauty supply.

They're like these, but the covering is not as smooth on mine: http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Cameo-Thick-Ponytailers-2-Pack?SKU=627498

AnqeIicDemise
July 4th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I manage holding a high-ish one about just past the crown of the head if, and only IF, I keep the tail end over my shoulder. The moment I let it hang over my back and the dumb thing starts slipping. My hair is just too heavy otherwise.

I CAN, however, secure a high pony tail by doing a knot and securing the knot with a stick or a fork. And this version, while eating up about a good half of my length, is much more kinder to my sensitive scalp. I'm prone to migraines and a regular pony tail starts hurting me after about four hours on a lucky day. Tied in a knot distributes the weight more evenly and it doesn't hurt. As much or as quickly. I have managed a high knot for a little over a full 8 hour shift before without it bothering me.

But ponytails, just like bras and contacts, are absolute heaven to get rid of the moment I come home for the day.

dollyfish
July 4th, 2013, 08:21 AM
If you're willing to sacrifice the sleek look of a hidden hair tie, I've found that one thick elastic with one fabric scrunchie over it holds like none other. Only problem is the scalp pain!

Kelikea
July 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I use these elastics for thick hair: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goody-Ouchless-No-Metal-Hair-Elastics-Java-Bean-06103-14-count/21811171
They are the only hair elastics I've found that will hold my hair for any amount of time. If I run or bounce, I will need a bun, but they hold well for work/school as just a ponytail.

Islandgrrl
July 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing it must be PFM because I've never been able to figure out how to do it either.

.....PFM = Pure F.... Magic.

cathair
July 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I haven't tried this, nor do I have super thick hair, but I wondered if something something like a ponytail cone be helpful? Like these?

http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/Claires/81738_81738_1?$QuickView$
http://www.diva.net.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/4/742931.jpg

It might still slip, but perhaps the extra height they give would make the effect less noticeable?

missfaroe
July 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM
I second the hair bungees :o

Anabell
July 6th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Banana clips-
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlXKsSIFsM2wbQoVbDqCaOpyAiNsmgm I1S3z2dl1wgSUdsFykP
This is the only way I do a ponytail at all. I guess you can do it high and it will be stable like the law one..

purplehippo
July 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Put the bottom half of your hair into one pony tail, and then gather the rest and add another hair tie

Olivia23
July 8th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I have thick waist length hair and I have to use a flexi 8 size medium to hold up my ponytail. I just clip it over the rubber band.

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I don't think you can mine is medium and it test a pony tail pretty good.

HumanBean
July 8th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I do two ponies, the highest one first, then the second one immediately below it. Add a spin pin. You can't see the lower pony with my hair, it just looks like one long ponytail.

Kritika chouhan
July 24th, 2016, 07:19 AM
There is one way which works for me well, make a partition fron ear to ear n the dividing line show be low taking almost three fourths of the hair in upper section. Now make two ponytails close to each other. The issue here is to stop the top one from falling for this i used a small clutcher just below the base of the top ponytail..dont worry it wont show the lower tail will hide it, also i advice to use black clutcher..or any color which matches ur hair. This pony will not fall , n ya use thick elastic for the top one. N if u feel that the weight of pony is too much that it is pulling ur hair from above ur forehed.. I advice u to make u puff with the pony..this way the area above forehead does not look flat n also it will not pain...
Hope this helps :)

lapushka
July 24th, 2016, 07:25 AM
There is one way which works for me well, make a partition fron ear to ear n the dividing line show be low taking almost three fourths of the hair in upper section. Now make two ponytails close to each other. The issue here is to stop the top one from falling for this i used a small clutcher just below the base of the top ponytail..dont worry it wont show the lower tail will hide it, also i advice to use black clutcher..or any color which matches ur hair. This pony will not fall , n ya use thick elastic for the top one. N if u feel that the weight of pony is too much that it is pulling ur hair from above ur forehed.. I advice u to make u puff with the pony..this way the area above forehead does not look flat n also it will not pain...
Hope this helps :)

What is a clutcher? A claw clip?

Anya15
July 24th, 2016, 07:29 AM
What is a clutcher? A claw clip?

Yes it's another commonly used name for a claw clip here in India. :)

I simply cannot do a high ponytail with my hair. Too thick and my scalp hurts!

PoysinIvy
July 24th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Maybe the double pony trick? Split the hair into 2 and stack them close together. Would take the weight off and the top pony would hide the second one.

spidermom
July 24th, 2016, 09:17 AM
I wore a high ponytail for the first time in years yesterday. It worked by putting a hair slide over the elastic. I have a metal dragon slide, and it looked awesome.