PDA

View Full Version : How can I style my hair like Helena Bonham-Carter's in Sweeney Todd?

nankipoo
August 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hi,
I love Mrs. Lovett's hair in Sweeney Todd.
I can't find a great pic of it -- but here is a link to one on imdb. It's a great style in the film.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3461781504/tt0408236
Does anyone know how I can style my hair like this or what helps achieve this style?

Thanks in advance.

Honey39
August 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I like it, but it looks like a MASSIVE amount of back combing to me to get that look!

RoseRedDead
August 30th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I love this hairstyle as well, but I agree with the above poster. You'd have to back-comb, which is very damaging to your hair.

spidermom
August 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I think you could get something similar by loosely gathering in the back, then pulling strands free with product, blow-drying at the roots, swirling the ends around fingers. I might give this a try next time I wash my hair(just did that today) and will, of course, take pictures, which I will post months to years after I take them. I do not believe in rushing into anything.

Lamb
August 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Backcombing, some fake hair, lots of hairspray, and you are all set.
Not something I would do. Pretty spectacular, all the same.

RoseRedDead
August 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I might give this a try next time I wash my hair(just did that today) and will, of course, take pictures, which I will post months to years after I take them. I do not believe in rushing into anything.

Oh please do! That'd be spectacular to see!:cheese:

darkwaves
August 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I think you could get something similar by loosely gathering in the back, then pulling strands free with product, blow-drying at the roots, swirling the ends around fingers. I suspect mine would go like this without product. Or blow drying.

Just wash, let dry stringy, swoop the mass up and let the bits dangle.

(But as others have mentioned, this shot looks like the crown is teased to me.)

lookingglass
August 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I wear my hair like this all the time!:p My hair just likes to be styled this way and I NEVER backcomb it! Helena is a natural curly, BTW, and she has worn variations of this style several times.

KEEP IT MESSY: part it roughly in 1/2, do a little french twist, pin, and loosely bun the rest. Keep bits flying out everywhere, and pull them loose if necessary. I sometimes part the front on the side and comb through some gel so that the front is smooth but the rest is wild. It looks like here that the front is loosely pined up. Have fun with it, and good luck!:cheese:

PseudoScot
August 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Start dating Tim Burton?

Um, I don't know... sorry.... lookingglass's ideas sound good to me :/

Mitzy
August 31st, 2008, 12:19 AM
She does have very curly hair (HBC) and has spoken about having her hair thinned for her role in Fight Club and how she hated it, so it must be fairly thick, too. I dunno, if you were curly-wurly enough and thick enough you could do it.

Kuchen
August 31st, 2008, 02:02 AM
If you don't mind spending a lot of money on a small amount of product, Aveda do something called "Potion" (http://www.amazon.com/Aveda-Pure-Abundance-Hair-Potion/dp/B000O2NKL0)(I think) which is kaolin and other hair-friendly ingredients in a powder that sort of turns to a light putty. It gives SERIOUS volume and is pretty benevolent to hair, as far as I know. I keep meaning to get some when I have the cash...

KiwiLiz
August 31st, 2008, 06:04 AM
I've been thinking about her hair too... I'm planning on dressing up as Mrs Lovett for my 21st, which I'm having at a horror cabaret restaurant in 6 or 7 months.

Go to http://www.ghdhair.com/au/goddess-gospels/creation and click the video called "Rouching curls", that's what I'm thinking about doing to my hair... it looks like it might be quite damaging though... :S

darkwaves
August 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
That rouching looks a little damaging to me! And I can't imagine the knots it will build in my hair!

nankipoo
August 31st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks to all who replied. :)

Lookingglass: Thanks for the tips! My hair is curly and coarse -- it doesn't usually need more body but do you have any suggestions as to what products I could use to add a little bit of extra texture? Also -- what do you use to clip/ pin your hair up when you style like this? Thanks in advance.

If anyone else has any tips, I'd be grateful if you shared them. Thanks! :)

Sable
August 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM
I have no idea how you do that on purpose, mine looks like that every morning.

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM

hahahaha; well, now you know you can just head out the door and somebody is going to think you look pretty hot

FrannyG
August 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
Start dating Tim Burton?

Now you're talkin' :eyebrows:

Kuchen
August 31st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks to all who replied. :)

Lookingglass: Thanks for the tips! My hair is curly and coarse -- it doesn't usually need more body but do you have any suggestions as to what products I could use to add a little bit of extra texture? Also -- what do you use to clip/ pin your hair up when you style like this? Thanks in advance.

If anyone else has any tips, I'd be grateful if you shared them. Thanks! :)

Well, try the Aveda or a dry shampoo.

coppercurls
September 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM

Ditto for me!:p

Lamb
September 1st, 2008, 02:28 AM
hahahaha; well, now you know you can just head out the door and somebody is going to think you look pretty hot

Or jump to the wrong conclusion about the contents of your lunch bag...

sexyjacksparrow
September 1st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Or jump to the wrong conclusion about the contents of your lunch bag...

LOL!

I don't think I'd want to backcomb my hair but I just adored HBC's look in this film. It wasn't one of my favourite Johnny Depp films storywise but it was visually stunning.

Kerry xx

KiwiLiz
September 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM
That rouching looks a little damaging to me! And I can't imagine the knots it will build in my hair!

Definitely! Its certainly not an everyday style... maybe once in a life time, I figure my 21st is the time to go a little crazy, I'll have a whole lot of slippery cone Pantene on hand though.

nankipoo
September 3rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks Kuchen,

I saw your rec and looked into the Aveda, but I was worried that this or a dry shampoo might make my hair a bit too tangled -- I was thinking about something lighter.
But thanks so much for your recs! :)

Celtica
September 3rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
I'd get that look just by not combing, brushing or washing for a week or two:D

sahiba
September 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
I can't advice you on the style , sorry, but to me too it looks pretty damaging.