PDA

View Full Version : When trimming how do you know...

oddelabop
July 3rd, 2013, 05:29 AM
Hey guys, just a question which I've been thinking about!

I'm definitely the sort of person who likes to try and keep my ends as blunt as possible, but how can you tell whether you need an inch or half am inch off? What do you prefer to take off each time?

i can't make my mind up, and any trim feels like I'm loosing lots of hair! :)

CurlyMopTop
July 3rd, 2013, 05:47 AM
I usually just go with 1/2 in every 3 or 4 months. I'm trying to stretch that out right now and not trim till the end of the year but if it looks or feels like it needs it, I'll still trim. Otherwise, it will just end up more damaged from breakage. I can tell when it needs to be trimmed by how hard it is to detangle, single strand knots, and white dots. My hair is so fine that it breaks before splitting. If a 1/2 in. Doesn't fix it (usually does though) I'll trim it again.

spidermom
July 3rd, 2013, 06:03 AM
When I'm actively growing, I get about 1/2 inch off every 2-3 months. When I'm maintaining, I get 1 inch off in the same time frame. I just decided this rather arbitrarily; no science to it.

oddelabop
July 3rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks for your responses!

melusine963
July 3rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
If in doubt, start with cutting off half an inch and then reconsider. The beauty of using Feye's self-trim methos is that you don't have to waste money on an extra hair cut. :)

nobeltonya
July 3rd, 2013, 11:39 AM
I only dust, but I do it like every 2-3 weeks.. mainly to even up my ends, which keep growing unevenly. I recently cut like 1" off :O [within the last month] and it actually wasn't completely devastating XD lol But that was the first significant amount I've taken off of the length in YEARS. I generally wait also until my ends are getting tangly and dry feeling before I trim. Just take it slow, a little bit at a time. :) Wait at least a few weeks between trims.. :disco:

jacqueline101
July 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM
I'd say look at your ends and see how damaged they are and see how much you need to trim off judging by the damage. Other then that I cut half inch off every six months.

Lockoptimisten
July 3rd, 2013, 01:14 PM
It is à god idea to trim away the damage you can see, White dots, splits and so on.

nakima
July 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
lots of great advise here! and thank you all, I had the same ? myself :)

Anywhere
July 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to self-trims, not salon visits? Because I decide by doing the whole feye's trim thing, once the elastic gets to the last bits of my hair I see if there's a dramatic change in thickness in the last inch or two, and if there is I might cut until there. Usually I just end up cutting off the thinnest part (the last 1/4-1/2") because thats where there's a noticable change in thickness for me.