PDA

View Full Version : Hair Parting Tips?

Kimberly
August 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM
From time to time I try yet again to wear a pair of braids. But I can't ever get a nice-looking part down the back. The front and top come out straight, but no matter what I try I can't get a neat part on the back of my head. I can manage to get it centered, but not a straight line.

I really really want to wear a pair of braids (and put them up like Heidi, too!), but I hate it looking messy. Do you have any tips about how to make a neat part?

Also, sort of related . . . my braids get fuzzy -- really fuzzy. Am I doing something wrong, or is that just the curse of my hair type?

Thanks to anyone who has advice! :)

freznow
August 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Have someone else do that part for you!

I can generally get fairly straight parts down the back, but they're never perfect. Most other people don't notice/care, though, so when I do a style that requires it, I just give it my best shot.

One thing that helps when I want to do a zig zag on top, I have to make sure not to pick up the stick that I'm using to do the parting until I've pushed all the hair to the correct side, otherwise it gets a bit mixed up. Maybe that'll help?

florenonite
August 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Stupid question, but do you use a hairstick or a tailcomb for the parting or just your nail? Something sharp will make a straighter parting.

yogachic
August 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I have the same problem with the part in back for braids, even when doing my childs hair, but on the frizzy braid issue. Dampen hair, apply oil or aloe gel, or even both, then braid.

jera
August 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Have you tried bending over at the waist letting you hair hang down in front and part it from back to front? Just a thought. I haven't worn braids lately, but this used to work when I did.

Kimberly
August 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, thanks for the suggestions!

freznow, my cat's no good at hair parting, either, and no one else lives here to help!

florenonite, I've tried tailcombs, and that seems to give me even worse results. I've never seen anyone using one, though, so maybe I'm going about it wrong. The only thing that sorta works for me so far is to use a comb held vertically, starting where I want to part, and then pulling horizontally. I do that in sections.

yogachic, I'll try wetting my hair and see if that helps with the frizz!

jera, I'll try parting bent over and see how that goes.

I'm starting to wonder if the reason I'm having trouble is that my hair is curly and fine. I have a hard time getting a comb through it smoothly in one pass, and although I've tried one of those tailcombs, it doesn't really get through my hair down to my scalp very well -- sort of slides over it or gets caught in it, if you know what I mean?

Anyway, thank you again for the suggestions. I've got some new things to try! :D