PDA

View Full Version : Vo5 conditioner, a useful tool for me!

starlamelissa
July 2nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
A few months ago I read on a "natural" hair forum about using vo5 conditioners as a detangler, in the shower. I have been washing my hair, applying vo5 all over my length, and combing it through all the way to the roots with a shower comb. I rinse it out, and use my normal coney condish on my last 6 inches of hair.

My hair is so shiny and smells really great! The vo5 rinses clean, and my hair bounces.

Ive been detangling with it 3 times a week, for 2 months, with predictable results.

In this time frame I've also been using it to shave, and I've had good results.

Here are some new things I am doing with this product, In between wash days I am using just kiwi lime squeeze with no shampoo and a shower comb, combing through and rinsing. I don't apply a second conditioner. Great for an after swim treat, or on a hot day.

lastly, I read on the same forum about adding a half a tablespoon of oil to a fresh bottle of conditioner for added conditioning. I used blood orange flavor olive oil in pomegranite grape seed conditioner. I shampooed, conditioned and combed, added no second conditioner. My hair is very soft and shiny today. I did this yesterday.

Has anyone else used a cheapie, and loved it? Everything about my routine has stayed the same, but the vo5 is giving me some great results as a detangling aid/hair refresher.

kitschy
July 2nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
I've been using VO5 conditioner to wash my hair three times a week for the last four years. I circulate through their scents, but I like the shea cashmere for moisture, and I really don't care for the coconut. My favorite is probably the kiwi lime.

starlamelissa
July 2nd, 2013, 07:00 AM
I don't like the feeling of co washing kitschy, but I do like the way my hair feels when I comb it with vo5 and rinse. I don't think that counts as a co wash, I'm not lathering it into my scalp,I just comb my scalp with it.... Does it? Lol. Kiwi lime squeeze is really a great fresh scent. I use it often!

Have you tried shaving your legs with it? I'm so smooth!

kitschy
July 2nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
I just use it for Co-washing, not shaving. I think whatever it is you call the detangling process, you are indeed cleansing/conditioning your hair with it. Perhaps not your scalp, but if it cleans my hair, then I suspect it is doing the same with yours as you comb it through.

That would be like saying "I put shampoo in my hair to make it smell better, but I don't wash with it. I don't message my scalp...."
The surfacants are working anyway.

Kaelee
July 2nd, 2013, 08:06 AM
I tried a V05 conditioner...it left my hair feeling gross and I could NOT get the smell out. I smelled like raspberries for two or three washes after! :(

It works for a lot of people though. Their kiwi lime is my 'go to' clarifying shampoo.

Babyfine
July 2nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
VO5 Kiwi lime conditioner is great for CO-it rinses so clean! I also like the Tea therapy and the strawberry one but the kiwi lime is my favorite.
Best part-they're cheap!!

lunalocks
July 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
I have been using tea therapy conditioner on the length before washing. it gets out the residue of baby oil. Then I wash with Desert Essence organics red raspberry shampoo. Then do a catnip soak and leave in and then a little baby oil on the ends and length. This has been my routine for the past 2 months and it is working well. Very few split ends. And increased waviness. Still haven't found a conditioner I like better than the VO5 for this routine.

curlsgalore
July 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
I've just recently started using the kiwi lime for co-washing and it does a great job of cleansing. I went ahead and picked up a couple other "flavors" that I'm anxious to try...shea cashmere and blackberry sage tea. :)

MidnightMoon
July 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
I've tried it and I really didn't like it, it made my hair feel sort of slippery but not like being actually moisturised...
I'm using Suave shampoo & conditioner right now

starlamelissa
July 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
kitchy, I am suprised that a comb through is a co wash, but it makes sense, because I always comb my scalp well with my shower comb, it works much better for me than pouring the conditioner on my head and scrubbing. I did a comb through today with kiwi lime squeeze and my hair feels great, and my scalp is refreshed.

starlamelissa
July 2nd, 2013, 09:37 AM
does anyone else do a comb through as a co wash method? when I tried the dump and scrub co method I couldnt get all the conditioner out of my hair that way.

Kherome
July 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
I use VO5 with good results as well.

starlamelissa
July 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
ah, after a quick google i found out what i am doing is called "noodling". LOL. Its a co wash method on naturally curly. Still not a conditioner only washer, but I do like it as an inbetweenie wash.

kherome, how do you use vo5?

Kherome
July 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
I use it as a CWC product.

Anje
July 2nd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cheapie stuff seems to make my hair the happiest. Who am I to argue with that?

I tend to prefer Suave, though. I find the thicker texture more spreadable, and I don't have to do as much label-reading to avoid proteins.

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2013, 10:56 AM
I love vo5 it's great.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure why, but neither VO5 nor Suave work for me past one wash. There must be something in them that builds up on my hair or reacts with a mineral in my water. First wash is fine, subsequent washes are blech. I can CO with either Tresemme Naturals Moisture or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, but usually use TTT. Finally got my hubby using it too!

Kherome
July 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
Tresemme makes my scalp instantly burst into an itchy mess. It was like nothing I'd experienced before.

prettyhairisred
July 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Do you shampoo at all?

arelrios
July 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Me like it! lol...

I haven't tried Suave yet, but why go and search/try something else if what you are using is working, right? I use the kiwi lime as a CO.
This morning I found out that the passion fruit smoothie has proteins... I still haven't figured out the proper protein/moisture balance for my hair, so I am not sure how the passion fruit is "affecting" my hair. But one thing is sure, my hair is 10 times better than when I was using sulfates and silicones...

What I love the most, you can get good results without spending a ton o money...

starlamelissa
July 2nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Do you shampoo at all?

I do shampoo! I wash my hair properly 3 times a week, i shampoo, detangle with vo5 of my choice (combing it all through my hair up to my scalp, combing several times with a shower comb) and conditioning the ends with the coney conditioner that matches my shampoo. I have always been an every other day washer,

But lately I've been using ONLY the vo5 conditioner, combing thru and rinsing the remaining 4 days a week to keep my scalp and hair fresh in this hot summer weather. It works perfectly as a quick pick me up. I never thought of this as a co wash(until now)

I always use a bit of baby oil on my hair before stepping out of the tub as well. It seems to reduce damage and add shine. Right now I am using Johnson's coco butter baby oil, which smells like chocolate!

biogirl87
July 2nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
I love the Vo5 conditioner as well. My hair seems to prefer it over the coney conditioners and I like the price of it versus the more expensive conditioners. As at least so far it seems easy to please my hair, I like VO5 better than Suave as last time I used Suave, it started to separate as I pouring it in my hand. Plus, I tend to switch things around with my shampoos and conditioners.

rock007junkie
July 2nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
I got the moisture milk strawberries and cream one yesterday on a whim and used it to cowash and really loved it.

alexis917
July 2nd, 2013, 08:43 PM
I got the moisture milk strawberries and cream one yesterday on a whim and used it to cowash and really loved it.

I use this daily! (I know that daily washing isn't viewed as the best thing, but when I don't, I have an itchy scalp.)
I have never cowashed, though. I shampoo and condition.
What hair types does cowashing work best for? I might try it...

biogirl87
July 2nd, 2013, 10:06 PM
Alexis, I know cowashing works really well for curlies (3 and 4 hair types) and some wavies like cowashing as well. I took a look at your profile and with your hair type being almost wavy, I think it could possibly work for you. Here is the link to the cowashing thread here on the forums: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

Teazel
July 2nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
Their kiwi lime is my 'go to' clarifying shampoo.

Mine, too. And Strawberries & Cream (to which I'd add honey) was my favourite conditioner until I discovered Lush Retread. Bit of a difference in price between VO5 and and Lush, though. Yikes!

CurlyMopTop
July 3rd, 2013, 05:17 AM
I love my V05!

starlamelissa
July 3rd, 2013, 06:04 AM
I use this daily! (I know that daily washing isn't viewed as the best thing, but when I don't, I have an itchy scalp.)
I have never cowashed, though. I shampoo and condition.
What hair types does cowashing work best for? I might try it...

after three years here I'm getting into daily washing. I love the freshness, my scalp does too. Shampooing every day dries me out, but skipping the shampoo and using a light vo5 to comb through every other day gives me great results.

sunflowersmiles
July 6th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I have been using the kiwi lime as a part of my CWC for the past month. I really like everything about it; it smells good and it rinses out very nicely. I wouldn't mind trying another "flavor" but I am always nervous when trying something new.