PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum hair loss

josie4
August 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM
So, I had a little boy back in November. I lost tons of hair starting at about 4 months postpartum, which is now growing back in. The new growth is about 1-2 inches long and sticks up all over the top of my head. It looks so weird, I can't wait till it grows out! Well, my son is 10 months old now, and I have another baby due in January. (I got pregnant quicker than I expected, but we're happy!) I am freaking out! What am I going to do if I lose a ton of hair again?? My hair is still fairly thick considering how much I lost, but I don't know how it'll hold up if I lose as much after this prenancy. Has anyone gone through this? I'm scared!

danacc
August 31st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Congratulations on your growing family!

Hair during pregnancy is wonderful. The pregnancy greatly slows shedding, resulting in thicker hair. Unfortunately, once the baby is born, the hair that would have normally shed earlier but was retained because of the pregnancy, all starts to shed at about the same time.

Overall, you lose about the same amount of hair as you would have if you didn't get pregnant. But since you lose it all at the same time instead of spread over the 9 months, the effect is more dramatic.

This is one of those times to "put your hair up and forget about it". There's enough other joy and stress during this time; don't let yourself get uptight or distracted by something like hair; it will grow back. Concentrate on taking care of yourself and your babies! Enjoy this time with them--they grow so fast.

josie4
September 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks so much! I'm trying not to stress, I'm just worried it's going to be very thin.. Oh, well, you're right - hair grows back.