PDA

View Full Version : length=splits?

spidermom
March 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Some of you know that I've been struggling with the split end issue lately. I don't like them, but if I keep cutting off the ends of my hair, I feel like I'm never going to reach tailbone, much less my goal (or wish) of classic. I'm making all the changes that I can without hampering my life-style toward preventing splits, but it hasn't been working so far. Is hair longer than waist length always going to have split ends?

Crinita
March 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
In my experience, yes. I believe that once hair reaches 6-7 years old (as it is on me by the time it reaches tailbone+) it's somewhat expected that the oldest part is going to be giving out and splitting despite careful handling. I concentrate my conditioning on the last two inches of my hair for this reason. In addition, I usually S&D only the split (yes, this is fairly AR of me, I know :agree: but I'm okay with that!) which lets me get the extra length to get past tailbone toward classic. I don't have time to sit down and do just this so I keep scissors in my purse and do it while I'm on hold or in line at the drive through etc. I believe you've mentioned that your hair grows somewhat slowly (I could be remembering incorrectly) so this could add to the issue.

Sorry I didn't have happier input.
Pax, Crinita

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I know you are a seasoned pro at this long hair business.....but can you think of anything else you do/don't do that's causing the splits?

I can't remember what you do off the top of my head, but do you maybe wear your hair down a bit too often? Or indulge in heat styling, does leave in oiling work for you? Or maybe things like cassia treatments?

Would you (or have u) try yogurt treatments? Here's some info on it's hair benefits...
http://www.freshpatents.com/Nutritive-restorative-yogurt-based-probiotic-hair-care-composition-dt20051117ptan20050255070.php

Some hair does seem more prone to splits than others.....when i only had virgin hair before i never remember seeing a split, only once i used chemicals (permanent colours with peroxide) on it.

I hope something helps xx

spidermom
March 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I've never tried yogurt or cassia treatments. Perhaps I should. I don't do anything to strengthen my hair, other than apply coconut and/or olive oil.

I'm blaming my hair troubles on past heat styling, which I've stopped, and snorkeling in Belize and Mexico last summer, plus swimming in chlorinated pools. I applied oil and conditioner and braided, but I think maybe that wasn't enough. I do leave my hair down quite a bit as well; some days up-dos/braids are too uncomfortable. Other days I'm lazy. I can do something about the latter but not the former.

I've already lopped off the mother lode of splits myself and am getting a trim today to even out the mess I made in self-trimming (one side is longer). After that, I'm on a mission to keep those splits at bay. Please share tips!

peacecat3
March 18th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Ack! Spidermom! :bigeyes: I just noticed we're hairtwins. Or would be if I had more hair. I too am fighting the dreaded split-ends. I have no excuse, as I never heat-style, don't dye (except with henna), try my best to be gentle, AND all my hair is LHC hair. I can only guess that my problem stems from the fact that most of my hair strands are pretty fine, not angel-hair fine, but definitely not thick or coarse. So they float and they tangle and they curl and wurl and tangle, and even gentle detangling causes some damage, which causes more damage, etc, etc. I've been trimming bit by bit since I passed waist, just to even up my majorly fairytaling ends and to get rid of splits. I still have a lot of splits up my length, and just S&D when the mood strikes. I generally always have my hair up, and, when I remember, sleep with a satin or silk scarf over my hair, which helps with nighttime damage.

So, long story short: speaking as a hairtwin, I don't know any way around splits. For me, they're a given, and I just remember to do little trims. :shrug:

zift
March 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hello spidermom:)
First of all I love your hair. OK now to the question no ,I have thigh length hair but very little splits. So little that I actually have to search(ETA:very carefully searching I can find only two the last time I did S&D) to cut them. Sometimes I have white dots but they're very few too. I guess it's not impossible,but my hair'S kind of coarser that might be the reason:D

OhioLisa
March 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hey spidermom. I'm sorry you keep struggling with the dreaded splits. My hair is finer than yours, I don't trim, and I have very few splits. I don't really S&D anymore, since it takes forever to find any. My point is that splits are not necessarily a given. I am sure that many of your splits are due to heat damage, which as you said, you are just going to have to live with for a while. But honestly, the best thing I started doing for my hair is wearing it up pretty much all the time. There are days when I wear it down around the house and such, but those are few and far between. I also use a comb on my hair only just after washing. If I need to redo a style in between, I fingercomb only.

Cassia was horrid on my hair (can we say straw??) and other DTs don't seem to do much, so in general, I don't do them. I wish I could recommend a good one to you. :(

I don't know if I helped at all, but do keep us posted on your progress. I hope you find a solution soon. :grouphug:

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hmmnnn i rekon more treatments to strengthen might be an idea then, and definately contain the hair. I got lazy towards the end of last year and my hair was often just in a ponytail or down more indoors and i really noticed the extra splits and breakage i got from it.

What about herb rinses like horsetail? I hear the high silica content in that strengthens hair when applied as a rinse as well as when drunk. Nettle is another good one too.
If i think of more ideas i'll add them.....but ooooh try the yogurt....it made even my most past it fried snarly ends silky!

spidermom
March 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
So ChloeDharma, do you take plain yogurt right out of the carton and slather it on or is there some sort of preparation involved?

Is cassia and senna alexandrina the same thing?

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I tend to get that organic whole yogurt, or goats yogurt.....not interfered with type. To be honest the rest seems a bit personal taste. I've used it mixed with conditioner and honey, or conditioner and aloe vera, or mixed with conditioning herbs like amla and methi, it seems the main thing is as long as the yogurt is there. You could use it straight from the carton....though i'd let it reach room temperature first so you dont get that "OMG" scalp reaction though. Normally i used it either as a CO wash, or after a poo bar but i only rinsed it out, i never "washed" it out as i felt that might be counter productive.
Oh a word on that.....make sure you rinse well....one time i missed a section and had a lingering smell of baby-spew around me. But as long as you rinse properly that should be fine....i also left it on for at least an hour each time.

Good luck xxx

maskedrose
March 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I can't remember, but I seem to remember you saying that some of your hair is still pre-LHC. I know you cut of a bunch a while ago, but could it be that your ends are still slightly damaged, which is coming out in the form of splits? Just a thought...

Rain
March 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I have fine hair. It's tailbone length. I haven't trimmed since January '07. I haven't even done S&Ds. I don't do DTs. I don't have excessive splits. If I look closely, I might find a few but nothing really jumps out.

I wear it up a lot but I did that before and got splits anyway. Everything from about the nape down right now has been henna'd. Henna makes my hair thicker and stronger. So I'm going back to it because I think it will help me achieve greater length and healthier hair. I thought about cassia but decided I like the red.

spidermom
March 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I can't remember, but I seem to remember you saying that some of your hair is still pre-LHC. I know you cut of a bunch a while ago, but could it be that your ends are still slightly damaged, which is coming out in the form of splits? Just a thought...

Too true. My post-LHC hair probably measures 12-14 inches long. It's hard to say because I don't color it. But when my hair was shorter and unruly, I would clamp it in metal curling irons and hold for a count of 10. Plus I used a flat iron. I've had lots and lots of trims, though. I used to get one every 6-8 weeks.

harpgal
March 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have very, very fine thigh length hair. I do not have any splits (that I can see). I do trim a few times during the year but no S&D. I live in dry conditions with very hard water. Things I do to protect:

1. Rinse with distilled water (spidermom, you don't need to do this because you have that wonderful soft water).
2. Keep my hair up and out of the way.
3. Mist braid tassel with distilled water every time I put it up.
4. Comb out only once a day, then braid, and put into some kind of updo.
5. Apply coconut oil to length after washing (while still damp) and everyday to the tassel.
6. Never whip a brush or comb quickly off of the ends.
7. Regular trimming (but small).
8. Run humidifiers during the winter.
9. Protect hair from sun.
10. Never use flat irons, hair dryers, or dyes.

That's all I can think of for now. I sure hope that some of these ideas can help. I do not think that split ends are something we all have to have just because our tresses are lengthy.