PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on fringe/no fringe/how fringe

Euphony
August 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I've been wanting some sort of fringe for about a year now. Now I'm looking for outside advice. I'm linking to my blog because there's pictures of my face and I don't want to post them here, I know there's new user limitations on blogs.

Would you mind taking a look and giving some advice?

Link to Euphony's blog post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=20668)

TIA :flowers:

ClareDee
August 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I think the experimental spiral fringe in your last pics is very nice. I would go with something like that - chin length and subtle.
It softens your look nicely when you have your hair tied up. Also, you have a round face-shape, so chin-length bangs elongate your face just a little bit, I think. Plus they won't be annoyingly close to your eyes. :blossom:

manderly
August 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Well it depends. Do you LIKE the mean tight bunned lady look?

I would consider a full-blown soft side swept fringe (down to your eyes) along with your longer sides if you dont.

GlennaGirl
August 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I LOVE the tendrils you have hanging down in the one pic. I'd fringe!

Euphony
August 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
ClareDee I think I like that idea the most, that way I can hide them into an updo with no problem, get them out of my way by tucking it behind my ear and I like that all I have to do is get my fingers wet, run it down the length and coil it once to get a spiral. Seriously I'm so lazy, if it took more than that I wouldn't do it :D

manderly hahaha nope, I'm not a fan of the tight bunned look on me. Many people can wear that look and it looks terrific - I'm not one of them. Perhaps if I ever get the rest of this weight off I'll look good like that, but for now, no. I've thought about side swept bangs as well, I'm not sure on that idea yet. That seems so much more drastic to me I would have the painful growing out period if I didn't like it. If I do the spirals on the side I don't think I'd hardly notice it if I wanted to grow it out since it'd already be so long.

GlennaGirl, why thank you! I had a bit of a time trying to get it to lay where it would if it was cut that way - but I like it too. I wouldn't know for sure until I cut it though <gasp> but I do like the idea of it!

jel
August 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I have to say that I slightly prefer the no-fringe look. That's probably because I have no fringe and I think that we have very similar face shapes (as well as similar hair!). I also wouldn't like to lose total hair thickness to any fringe/face-framing layers, but you clearly haven't got that problem! :D

However, as always, you should do what makes *you* happy, regardless of other people's opinions. At the end of the day, if you cut the fringe and end up not liking it, you can easily let it grow again.

wintersun99
August 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Euphony
August 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
jel I think my hubby has your opinion. He's used to people that have long hair to have it all long. He keeps telling me he's never seen anyone with long hair that has bangs, so whenever we see a movie or something with someone with long hair and bangs I point it out. I think he's warming to the idea, but he is also of the opinion it's my hair, so I need to do what I want.

wintersun99 I do like the idea of side swept bangs, oh man I really do...it's just such a big decision. I'm curious though, I'm not a fashion officianodo <sp?> I don't pay a bit of attention. Would the tendrils be out of style? I'm thinking more people are doing side swept bangs but tendrils might be 'weird'. My SIL is a bit more into style than I am (I had to ask her what the heck 'kitten heels' were :grin: ), she's thinking about getting side swept bangs herself. That makes me think perhaps the tendrils are old school.

wintersun99
August 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Honey39
August 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
You've got beautiful hair! I think that if you wear your hair up almost all of the time, then some hair around your face would be really flattering. I'm wary of fringes (bangs - I'm British, lol!), because I *hated* growing mine out, but then I had a very very heavy fringe (bangs).

I like the idea of framing bits around your face, and I think that would look very very pretty.

Euphony
August 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
wintersun99 that's exactly what I've been thinking - I would have to straighten them. There's some pics in my photo album of when my bangs were about cheek length, I had to straighten them and with as humid as it is here they'd get pretty flippy really fast. I'm so lazy when it comes to things like that, I don't wear make-up and straightening my fringe would probably drive me nuts after a while.

Honey39 hahaha I understand, isn't it funny how we have such different names for the same thing!?! Thank you so much for the compliment, that is so sweet. I do think I would look so much better with my hair up so often with something around my face.

manderly
August 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
FYI, I don't have fringe, but I faked some for a headband with a pouf style the other week. BF liked it, I'm still hesitant about fringe, but it gives you a better idea of what it would look like.

Why don't you fake some fringe for a few days and see how you feel about it?

And I personally hate the tight look on me, I've got huge cheeks and it's not flattering, but I still am hesitant about fringe.....go figure :shrug:

amaiaisabella
August 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I like thicker, sideswept bangs (I have them, but change them up a bit and part them so the majority sweep over one eye, and the rest cover the other side of my forehead, leaving a small space in the middle). So my opinion may be colored by the fact that I have them, but I would most definitely recommend them :) Plus, they are relatively easy to grow out, so long as you start with them long to begin with. Mine are slightly longer than the eyebrow, touching the tops of my eyelids.

spidermom
August 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Oh yes, absolutely. Go for it!

Sceleste
August 31st, 2008, 01:57 AM
You and my mom look very much the same, except she's almost 20 years older than you. Mom has a short forehead, it's shorter than yours. She had a fringe at your age but it didn't suit her, mostly because it made her face look more plump. Short forehead and glasses contribute to that look too. Now she has short hair with no fringe but has a bit of hair covering her temples, giving her a softer look.

If you really, really don't want a full length fringe, I'd forget that idea completely and go for the sideswept look or no fringe at all. My honest opinion is that you look the best without fringe (though I might be biased because you and mom have similar features, and my mom has no fringe :p ).

embee
August 31st, 2008, 05:58 AM
Just remember that it takes about *forever* to grow out a fringe if you decide you're really not pleased with it. And often that means you have ends sticking out of almost any updo you can think of, or ends dangling down when you really want them up.

Been there done that. Not doing it again! ;)

However, you could see if there is some sort of add-on, a fringe you could clip on? Just to have for fun? I don't know, haven't had a fall or a wiglet in 40 years, but know such things did exist! Or one could explore dangly barrette type hairtoys to wear near the face for softening? Just wondering...

Periwinkle
August 31st, 2008, 06:55 AM
If you're not sure about it, I suggest buying a clip-on fringe to try out first.

I definitely think a fringe would suit you! I like the look of the spirals you had, but I also think that something slightly shorter and sideswept would suit you.

Euphony
August 31st, 2008, 11:36 AM
manderly I tried that about a year ago and couldn't get it to work right - I'm probably inept. But I also figured I don't exactly need to do something like that since for 32 years I had bangs/fringe of some sort. I have decided that the straight across thick bangs that I used to sport was a bad idea with my short forehead and round cheeks.

amaiaisabella I love thick side swept bangs but I'm thinking with my hair type it might be too annoying, not sure though. I do love the look.

spidermom You're one of the people's pictures I've looked at trying to figure out if I want to do this - yours look soooo good!

Sceleste you bring up such a good point with the bangs making her face look rounder. That's something I really need to avoid. When I first started thinking about this last year I thought I'd just do bangs like I used to - then I got to looking at old pictures, yeah, that was a bad idea!

embee I know exactly what you mean, OMG when I grew out my bangs before it was painful. I looked so silly, it was always in my eyes, and after work it was all about a claw clip smack on top of my head. One of my son's friends came over one night and I'd forgotten I had that clip in, the kid just stared at me for a while then asked for my son LOL

Periwinkle I am kind of leaning toward just a little bit of fringe cut a bit below chin length straight so I can spiral it in a couple of tendrils on each side I'm thinking. Or if I want I can blow dry it straight - so I could get a couple of looks out of it that way.

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well thank you very much. The shortest part of my fringe starts out about lip-length and slants down to about collarbone-length, then my stylist does a blending cut down the sides full length to keep it all flowing together instead of looking like 2 separate hair styles. It doesn't negatively affect up-dos (or down-dos, for that matter).

Tangles
August 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Do it. I think you should keep them a few inches below chin length. This makes the face look narrow. I remember when my layers were there my face looked very thin. Not like you have that round of a face, but I think this would look great on you.

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
I love my triangle fringe.

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
I love my triangle fringe.

Really, jacqueline101, you dig up a five year old thread to make a completely unrelated comment?