PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate Free, Cone Free

jennescence
July 1st, 2013, 12:39 AM
I know there might be a thread on this already, but there is so much to shuffle through. I just want to know of any good sulfate free and cone free shampoo and conditioners out there that you have tried. I want to start using them simultaneously with SMT once or twice a week to get moisture back into my hair. Thank you in advance:)

akilina
July 1st, 2013, 12:51 AM
I love Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo....it's at Walgreens, and target I think. It really does moisturize my hair. I'm not keen on the conditioner because I love cones, but I have used the moisture retention deep treatment in an SMT before and liked it alot.

I love the shampoo because its all organic with ingredients I can actually pronounce with no ingredients that sound like a nasty chemical.

Ingredients:

Deionized Water , Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets) , African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Argan Oil , Panthenol (Provitamin B5) , Rosemary Extract , Sea Kelp Extract , Vitamin E , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower Extract (Honeysuckle) , Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Japanese Honeysuckle)

jennescence
July 1st, 2013, 01:02 AM
Thank You:) I will have to try that one:) I thought my hair liked cones, but from what I have read they keep the moisture out and make deep treatments not work. Maybe thats what I have been doing wrong all along.

akilina
July 1st, 2013, 01:25 AM
I would say that is just a generalization. Do what you want and experiment to find what works best for you personally :) I've tried it all bending over backwards wishing and trying to get my hair to like what other people like but I'm over it. I just give my hair what it wants and likes. I have never experienced cones doing what you speak of.
My hair had never lacked moisture when it was incredibly healthy and I used just as many cones as I do now. Deep treatments work just as well for me too still.

Btw, when I do an SMT it's not really an SMT I guess....I just use conditioner, aloe, and a tiny bit of oil.

I read your posts in your other threads...there's got to be some culprit to what you are experiencing..I don't think cones are 100% to blame but what do I know ?

jennescence
July 1st, 2013, 01:37 AM
No you're absolutely right. I'm just so confused and trying to figure out whats going on:(

jennescence
July 1st, 2013, 01:41 AM
and p.s you look a LOT like my tattoo artist lol

akilina
July 1st, 2013, 02:04 AM
Lol :) I wish I was a tattoo artist so I could fix this atrocious huge piece that consumes my whole upper arm /le sigh

jennescence
July 1st, 2013, 02:06 AM
Well if you're ever in Tennessee...

Firefox7275
July 1st, 2013, 04:15 AM
What are your hair properties and dew points/ humidity? Moisture = water which means using humectants such as the ones in SMT, but these can dry your hair out in the wrong climate. If you have porous hair and very high or low dews you likely want ingredients that do the the opposite, penetrating oils like coconut that will reduce your hair's ability to absorb water.

jennescence
July 1st, 2013, 06:27 AM
What are your hair properties and dew points/ humidity? Moisture = water which means using humectants such as the ones in SMT, but these can dry your hair out in the wrong climate. If you have porous hair and very high or low dews you likely want ingredients that do the the opposite, penetrating oils like coconut that will reduce your hair's ability to absorb water.
I have no idea how to figure any of that out

Kaelee
July 1st, 2013, 06:50 AM
I love Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo....it's at Walgreens, and target I think. It really does moisturize my hair. I'm not keen on the conditioner because I love cones, but I have used the moisture retention deep treatment in an SMT before and liked it alot.

I love the shampoo because its all organic with ingredients I can actually pronounce with no ingredients that sound like a nasty chemical.

Ingredients:

Deionized Water , Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets) , African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Argan Oil , Panthenol (Provitamin B5) , Rosemary Extract , Sea Kelp Extract , Vitamin E , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower Extract (Honeysuckle) , Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Japanese Honeysuckle)

Oh those sound lovely!!!!

I like Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle myself. :)

Wildcat Diva
July 1st, 2013, 07:09 AM
I have no idea how to figure any of that out

I thought I had it figured out when I found out about humectants, including glycerin, but now I guess I didn't. I thought they would work great for me, since I didn't live in the desert. Now I read that they are supposed to be not so great for me too. I live in a very hot, humid place. (South Texas, gulf coast, 30 minute drive from the Gulf of Mexico). My hair is f/m, wavy, and needs more moisture. I only like washing once or twice a week, and don't like to use cones or sulphates. I don't know what to do, I can switch to a more moisturizing conditioner a-la-curly girl, but if I only wash once a week, that's not gonna help that much. I do use a misting bottle, and a tiny smear of Nightblooming's panacea product as a leave in a couple of times during the week, and that seems to help.

It's quite a challenge to figure all this out, for sure.

Firefox7275
July 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM
Jennescence: you are a wavy/curly right? Head over to NaturallyCurly. Loads of information in the stickies on the Newbies board and the the general haircare board on the Curl Talk forum, dew points app and stuff about properties on the main NC site, more information on properties on Live Curly Live Free.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/
http://www.naturallycurly.com/frizz-forecast
http://livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm

jennescence
July 1st, 2013, 08:00 PM
Jennescence: you are a wavy/curly right? Head over to NaturallyCurly. Loads of information in the stickies on the Newbies board and the the general haircare board on the Curl Talk forum, dew points app and stuff about properties on the main NC site, more information on properties on Live Curly Live Free.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/
http://www.naturallycurly.com/frizz-forecast
http://livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm
Thanks! My hair is confusing because the underneath is straight but the top layer is wavy. Also my hair is thick but each individual strand is fine.

Firefox7275
July 3rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks! My hair is confusing because the underneath is straight but the top layer is wavy. Also my hair is thick but each individual strand is fine.

Totally normal!

oatmealpie
July 3rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
I used to use Aveeno Pure Renewal shampoo before I switched to shampoo bars. It's sulfate-free, available at most drugstores, and lathers pretty well.

My current silicone-free conditioners are:
- Suave Naturals in Juicy Green Apple - Probably my favorite everyday conditioner. The smell reminds me of my childhood.
- Suave Naturals in Tropical Coconut
- Sally Beauty's Generic Value Product (GVP) version of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm - Nice and thick. Great for SMTs, henna glosses, or mixing with Manic Panic.
- Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle - I second Kaelee's recommendation. It's light, natural, and yummy, but it doesn't have the cool tingle of Pureology (coney).
- V05 Sun Kissed Raspberry - A lot of other LHCers swear by this, but I'm not a fan of the scent. It smells artificial.

No, I didn't intentionally list them in alphabetical order. It just happened that way.