PDA

View Full Version : I found the perfect hairstyle for the "awkward phase" of growing out very short hair

Ginger Kitteh
June 30th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Note that this hairstyle takes a little while to do, so it probably wouldn't be worn every day. But for special occasions or going out, I think it is perfect. The reason why I think it is suitable for this phase is that your hair tends to get that sort of mullet look, and this hairstyle hides that by incorporating the short pieces into waves and makes it look vintage glamorous.

Sorry men going through this phase, that I don't have tips for you. But I think the shaggy look is cute by itself on you :D

Finger wave tutorial on a pretty model (shows the finished look):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKq-mkbJCY

Better tutorial without finished look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ne3LBccNJI

Please don't worry about your hair looking shorter, because your hair is still growing regardless of how you arrange it. I tried this hairstyle out today and got a lot of compliments (and honked at on the street :blushing:). I do caution you about some gels to achieve this look, because some of them can be a bit drying if they have alcohol as an ingredient.

Some tips:

If you want to comb the gel out, make sure your hair is all the way dry, or you'll lose the wave.
I could not see my scalp on the back of my head, so I just french-braided it to achieve some wave back there.
Alternatively, if you have enough hair on the bottom back of your head (below your scalp), you can braid it instead of pin-curling it.
It takes practice. I don't think I've perfected it.
Gel can deceive you into thinking your hair has fully dried, because it creates a dry cast around wet locks of hair when still drying. You can do this look with clips and styling creme to avoid this if you so desire.

I was seeking an alternative to the various scarves and headbands and bandannas that are recommended during the lovely mullet phase.

PeacenQuietGal
June 30th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I loved how the first model came out! And i agree the second tutorial made it seem easier, probably because she was faster. If you get adept at it, that would be such a beautiful style. I'm picturing it with pearl earrings btw, and some nice plummy lipstick!

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2013, 08:47 PM
It's pretty and would be nice for a special occasion.

MaryO
July 1st, 2013, 07:48 AM
Ooh, I just love the look- thanks so much for sharing. Wonder wether I'd be able pull it off though- I seem to have two left hands when it come to hair styling. But hey- practice makes perfect, right?