PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks rule waiting thread

Neneka
June 30th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Sorry if the idea is completely dumb... (I am also in fever now so I tend to get weird ideas.) I didn't find anything like this. I did a search but nothing came up. Please let this just sink if this seems off.

So. Is anyone else here in two weeks waiting? Are you considering cutting a bangs/fringe or maybe some dyeing or cutting layers? Or are you thinking about qoing shorter? Anything.

A great thread today brought me back an old idea of an undercut. I did a faux-undercut by french braiding and it seemed like it would be easy to cover if needed and my ponytail still didn't feel significantly thinner. And it would be completely virgin hair too in the undercut area. :) I know it would be a pain to grow out but I doubt it can be worse than growing out bangs. And my SO would resist the idea but he will get used to it if I do it. It's my hair anyway.

So my two weeks is up in 14.7.2013. This is the first day.

I would love to hear your reports about what happened at the end even if you decided not to do what you planned first. :)

ETA I changed a word that was offencive. Thank you for PM:ing me for it! I didn't mean to offend anyone.
ETA 2 Corrected weird typos. My brain clearly doesn't function today...

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Not now but in the past I did.

HollyG
June 30th, 2013, 08:48 AM
I wish i did, always cut my hair on a whim. Did my fringe (after growing it out successfully for the first time in years - that lasted a couple of weeks) about 2 months ago and for some reason it's not growing so am stuck with it at the moment.
Shoulder length cuts are also a big one for me which i always regret

Neneka
June 30th, 2013, 08:54 AM
The two weeks rule is a good thing. I have too a long history of doing radical things on a whim. I still miss my old longer hair but on the other hand it was very damaged. I also have had to put my hair trough some rough chemical processing to get the colour I have now because of dyeing that started on a whim. I wan't to be more careful with this undercut thing and with my hair in general. No more radical changes on a whim. :)

millyaulait
June 30th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Honestly - I seem to get these sudden urges to cut my hair REALLY often!

I have to invoke the two week rule pretty much constantly... :lol:

Here are the most recent things I've been wanting to do to my hair:

Dyeing my hair bright red (I did this in my teens and got a bazillion compliments)
Dying the tips of my hair dark blue (What what what am I doing?)
Dyeing it ombre / Adding Balayage (Probably the safest option but ALWAYS in the back of my mind)
Chopping it all off into a short wavy bob (http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=short%20wavy%20bob&rs=ac&len=9). (SO PRETTEH)

The last one is the most recent & the strongest - I just can't stop it. I always want what I don't have.

Keeping it looking good would require heat styling and a good bit of time. The rest would require bleach. Sigh!

I am REALLY finding it hard to push away that haircut.... :(

Neneka
June 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Oh, the worst situation is to have multiple different urges. :D But it's importand to remember that grass always looks greener on the other siden. I have grown my hair reasonably long many times and then just chopped in and regretted it almost instantly...

Edit. Typos... I am really having quite high fever...

lazuliblue
June 30th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I think this is a good idea for a thread :) I don't actually want to do anything to me hair at the moment....although last week I was contemplating a fringe (bangs)!

Neneka
June 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I thought we could ease our urges to do anything too sudden and help each other to wait those two weeks. :)

Typos... Damn fever..

~BoHemiAngel~
June 30th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Me! Hi :waving:

The appointment's been made with my hairdresser for next Friday, but I keep wavering back and forth. I am SOOOOOOOOOO close to my goal of hip (maybe 1 more inch until just the tips of my longest layer reaches) but unfortunately I have fairytale ends from about BSL on down. It's not cute. Once in a blue moon I'll have a good hair day (like maybe once or twice a month), but then the rest of the time it just looks like a stringy mess due to a massive shed I've been experiencing for about 5 years now.

The problem with going short for me is that no matter what length I cut it to, it still seems to look stringy again after only a few months. So I've just settled on having it be long and stringy rather than short and stringy. I actually hate it either way :sad I'm pretty down in the dumps about my hair right now. Praying for a good haircut if I go through with it.

And hey Neneka, I hope you feel better soon!!

BlueMuse
June 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Last year I decided I might want a fringe so I invoked the 2 week rule and then went and got it. I'm quite happy I did! Now I just have to determine when to go back and get it cut again since my stylist does such a good job it looks awesome even when it's growing out. So far it's been about every six months or so.

emeraldfaery
June 30th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'm another impatient chopper here. I wish SO badly I had waited two weeks every time I cut my hair. For the most part I never had a good reason to cut it; I just did. I would highly recommend waiting and making sure it's what you want. Look at pictures/take pictures of yourself cause that helped me realize (usually after the fact) how beautiful my hair was.

Neneka
July 1st, 2013, 07:22 AM
BoHemiAngel, I am sorry you feel like that about your hair. I hope the hair dresser can do something that cheers you up. I think fairy tale ends are beautiful anyway. They look delicate and pretty. :)

Two weeks rule is a really good thing... I am glad I didn't do that undercut thing on a whim yesterday. A couple of years ago I would have just done it. But then I wasn't so insecruce. :lol: But now I have started to fear that I don't have enough confidence. I really want to do it but I got so much crap of having green hair while ago... I think I will leave the undercut section quite "long" and small at least for starters if I have guts to do it. I can't let the fear control my doings too much. I have been looking a lot of pictures and I really like some. I have also played with my hair a lot. I have done different partings and braiding and I am quite sure about how I want the undercut to be done. I am afraid but excited at the same time. :D

Oh, and I feel better already. Thank you. :)

Edit... Sorry about all the whining from me lately. I try to whine less about everything in the future. :p

Neneka
July 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Oh, and emeraldfaery, it's very good idea to took pictures and look pictures of others and consider face-shapes and such. :)

fairview
July 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
I think more important than having a two week rule of waiting is finding a stylist that is upfront and honest even if it means the answers to your questions or requts aren't the ones you want to hear.

I could have started this thread with the title of 'What I learned not to do my first year.'

Never allow your guest to make major and dramatic changes to their hair style and/or color. A trustworthy stylist will suggest transitional changes rather than all in one dramatic changes of cuts and/or color. I think most guests see this as just a way of the stylists reaching into the their wallet for extra profit but what it is, is putting the guest in charge. Transitional changes will cost more money but the guest can stop the process anytime without regrets rather than waking up the next morning and looking in a mirror and thinking, 'What have I done, why did i let him do this' and finally the last step of this blame game, 'Why did he do this to me, I hate him!'

While I was in cosmo school my daughter wanted highlights. She sent me a pic and I replied she could not have more highlights since she had already migrated 100% of her hair to that level. She had 2 options: begin with some low lights for a while and then highlights or go all over blonde. She chose all over blonde and being naive at 53, I gave her all over blonde. You could not tell where the swatch started and her hair ended and she paniced claiming she was too blonde???? It looked fabulous and expensive but she was worried no one would take her serious because she was a vet. When she returned home she paid her stylist to put low lights in??

What I should have done was a blonde transition doing thick chunky vertical slices so she could control the blonding process and stop it when she began to feel uncomfortable.

Same daughter a second child and a few years later and I still hadn't learned my lesson. Her below the bottom shoulder blade length hair is driving her crazy along with her 3 year old and new 3 month old baby. She is tired of taking a shower and having to put it into a pony tail while wet because one off the babies is crying and then allowing her hair to dry in that pony. She is ready for a change. She shows me a picture of a swing bob. I do it but incorporate some personalization to it in length. I cut it longer than pictured and don't give her a stacked cut. I explain that she is too tall for what is pictured and that the stack in the back would make her head look egg shaped. This girl has more hair than the north end of horse headed south. She definitely doesn't need an illusion of extra volume. While she is in my chair she informs if I don;t do it EXACTLY the way it is pictured she will simply pay someone else to do it tomorrow. She gets a cookie cutter cut after that and the next day she texts me and says it is too short and makes her head look funny in the back. (I will be a good Dad and not text her back, 'I told you so.'

The right thing to do would have been to refuse to make that much of a dramatic change and do a mid length cut. She misses her long hair and while she doesn't hate her Dad she still is a bit peeved that I cut it all off even though it was her idea.

Find a stylist that will patiently listen and understand what you want but when he says, 'I think that is too much of a dramatic change at one time, I think we need to do this in between step before we get there.' listen to him. You'll be happier with the reflection you see in the mirror the next morning

Neneka
July 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM
fairwiev, you have good points and I wish I had read your text years ago when I cut my longer hair to pixie at once in the bathroom with kitchen shears. I am sure post is really helpful to a lot of people. Thank you very much. :blossom:

Unfortunarely I can't afford a stylist right now but I will be very careful with what I am maybe going to do. I have been cutting my own hair for years and while I am no expert I am pretty sure what I will be doing. I am going to cut in a very small area first (ETA:for the undercut) and leave it quite "long" first and then proceed with caution.

goldloli
July 7th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Bumping

I've been doing 2-3 weeks rule, after every waiting period give myself a microtrim. I'm actually wanting to just lop off a few inches, between 2" and 6" maybe. It's just that it pained me to grow from waist to bcl for the past year, doing microtrims, slowly inching whilst thickening ends and cutting damage. I put so much thought into getting the length but I just hate the condition of the ends after years of old heat styling. VELCRO!!

My fear is that i'll cut to a nice blunt hemline but it'll still be like velcro because it's damaged further up than i imagine. So my hair will be shorter and still a pain in the butt, also it'll tangle and get damaged and thin out so by the time im back at the same length it'll suck just as much.

Giving it till end of july/start august, then chop maybe.