PDA

View Full Version : 1:1 Poo and CO users....

SarieQ
June 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
It's been a while since I've been here and I have changed hairwashing routines in that time....What is the abbreviation for equal mixes of poo and co on LHC?
And if you use this method, what are your fav blends and from what brands????

I currently use Giovonni's route 66 poo co blended and the deep moisture both poo and co blend. I want to branch out and try other ones as I finish up what I have for now--I tend to get too obsessed with trying new lots that I end up with way too much stuff under the sink ;) LOL

Does anyone use Aubrey Organics blended and if so how has it worked for you? This was the brand I used before LHC and making my own stuff back in the day and I don't want to spend the $$$ to try blending them if I don't like the outcome so much ;)

How about Nature's Gate??? Anyone currently using that? What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your input :confused:

BlazingHeart
June 29th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I just use a 2-in-1 that comes that way. I'd be a little nervous trying to mix them on my own! I suppose it shouldn't, since most 2-in-1s won't work for me, but the one I use has worked for me for a long time. I occasionally try something else, get annoyed with it, and come back to the one that works. (Garnier Fructis 2-in-1, fwiw)

goldloli
June 29th, 2013, 07:06 PM
*listens for more info*

My mom once poured my pureology conditioner into the matching shampoo because she thought I had 2 half empty bottles of the same thing. Given how expensive and the good ingredients back then, I continued to use it as a shampoo. Oh man what a mess, my hair was like straw! I'm interested to know if co-poo blends would actually clean the hair, given the info that luxepiggy posted about cwc not doing so, wouldn't the co addition react with the poo ingredients that clean?

Firefox7275
June 29th, 2013, 08:10 PM
"Words of caution for Conditioner Prepoo - Build up can occur as a result of the different charges in conditioner (positive) and shampoo (negative) (J Soc Cosmet Chem, pp 263-278, 1993). Wherever possible rinse out the conditioner thoroughly before using the shampoo. Applying one directly over the other can create build up."
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/05/before-you-shampoo-conditioner-or-oil.html

SarieQ
June 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I've been doing this for about three months now and no buildup or any kind of residue left over. I find that they sort of balance each other out and when I say I'm mixing them--I'm actually combining the whole bottles of both so it's blended way before I use it (not applied and mixed on my head ;) ) When I say they balance each other out, I mean the co keeps the poo from over cleansing and the poo keeps the co from leaving too much conditioning residue. My hair always loved Pert back in the early 90's before I went all organic and it me blending things on my own like this gives me that SAME result that was marketed back then. I should note that I've only used congruent poo's and co's by the same company and I've only just started this by blending TWO different formulas--the volume one and the extra moisturizing one. That way if I want my hair poofy one day, I have something loaded with B5 and other days I just use the moisture one because my hair tends to be dry--however THIS routine ROCKS better than any routine I've ever had and doesn't seem to over clean and strip my hair ;) --I thought there was an actual group here that did wash their hair this way? Guess I'll be the guinea pig and figure it out little by little LOL

Islandgrrl
June 29th, 2013, 10:58 PM
SarieQ!!!!!!! I'm so happy to see you back. You ave been missed.

Maybe you are thinking about the oil-shampoo method where shampoo is combined with coconut oil? I've never heard of combining shampoo with conditioner. But then again, I'm still a CO girl so what do I know!

starlamelissa
June 30th, 2013, 06:37 AM
I remember a method on LHC called c-cow-c that was apply conditioner as a pre poo, wash with conditioner and shampoo mixed, and apply conditioner to the length and rinse again.

goldloli
June 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM
hahaha c-cow-c, intradesting.

Well op your hair looks fine so it must be working for you. What benefits have you noticed in terms of slip, dryness, etc? Does it clean hair thoroughly at the root? low poo didn't work for me because it left some oil at the root

SarieQ
June 30th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I don't do any kind of pre-Co BTW. I don't like how Poo alone or co alone feel on my hair, but combined I LOVE the outcome. As far as slip and all that--I don't get tangles from it. It does give enough slip, but I never liked how CO alone left my hair FLAT--this gives me lots of body and yet it's not dry and frizzy. It does clean from root to tip and all I do is ONE app. I wet my hair while sitting in the tub, apply and massage it in, and then let it sit for about 5 to 10 min and then shower it out. It doesn't need to sit on there long either, that's just because I'm in the bath that I let it sit on there like that. I have the same results if I apply in the shower and rince it out quicker too. I haven't cut my hair in a year, and yet this routine doesn't cause my ends to be dry and frizzy/tangly. It's the simplest, easiest routine I've ever had! Sometimes I will do a tea leave in after of nettle/horsetail/gree tea just make a cup before the shower and dump it on after. I have very sensitive skin, so for this to work for me like it has is pretty damn good!

SarieQ
June 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Islandgrrl!! I didn't know you were still on here! I remember that time you had just tried that coconut oil in poo and your hair looked FABULOUS! I was going to contact you to find out the ratio but I stumbled onto this first. LOL I figured chemically, it couldn't be much different from the pert formula because poo and co formulas are pretty much the same thorugh and through, and it mixed and did well for that company so why not try mixing it myself ;) LOL Guess in 25 years my hair has not changed much, it still LOVES the TWO in ONE, guess that's what I'll call it The TWO in ONE routine ;)

Islandgrrl
June 30th, 2013, 11:27 PM
SarieQ, hi! I used a blob of shampoo....maybe the size of a half dollar in my palm, and about 1/4 that amount of oil. It was great the first few times I did it, but then I started having major problems with flyaways and static. I had hair from crazytown. I went back to my old CO alternated with WO routine. Awesome routine for someone as uninterested as I am in my hair (not that I don't love it, but half the reason it's as long as it is, is that it requires so little time and attention).

I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I love how curly and fluffy your hair looks now!

SarieQ
July 1st, 2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks Islandgrrl! I was interested in trying this, but not after your review of it over a length of time. My hair tends to be so dry that it would probably wreak havic on my ends. Glad you like the new pic I posted on FB! I will try to post it here soon as time allows. My hair hasn't been this nice and fluffy looking really since high school when I was using the Pert (2in1). Anything else just seems to weigh it down or cause tangling. Because it's not very long right now (six inch strands all over my head), I don't oil my ends yet but I will once it's longer. Which this alone is amazing because I haven't trimmed my hair in a year since the shaving!!!! Normally by six months, the ends are so bad that I NEED to do something. Not sure when I will do a trim, as I've just now started being able to pull it back with a scrunchie, but only when I will be able to maintain still being able to put it up after a trim ;) In the meantime, I will keep posting my results here and I hope others will join in and at least just give a go. It's really the easiest thing I've ever done! With the Giovanni Route 66 blend, I even put some of the CO in the blender with some raw honey so that I have that in it also, then I poured it in the bottle with the rest of the poo/co and shook it good. I would have done it with the deep moisture formula too, but the co is soooo thick that I knew I'd struggle with getting it all out of the blender--so I should mix a little in each app seperately before using. LOVE HONEY in my hair! :) For now, once a month I will purchase a new set of poo/co and give them a try and post my experiences here.

SarieQ
July 1st, 2013, 03:14 PM
Come on you all, just give it a try! To start out with, just mix a little in a bowl for one app and you don't have to be stuck with lots of mix if you don't like the results :) My first time, I mixed what my partner has here bought in bulk from the healthfood store. I have no idea what it was, perhaps Nature's Gate but it worked good and that prompted me to buy and mix it at once. You never know, you might be one step away from the routine of your dreams--or at least your dream hair LOL ;)

afu
July 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM
I just started doing this today (big coincidence seeing this thread!!). I've been CO for about 18months (washing every 2 days) but it just doesnt seem to be keeping me clean enough lately. I bought Timotei organic SLS free poo last week to try but didn't like the result, still too stripping and gave me flyaways (which ive not experienced since going CO). Today I combined the organic poo with conditioner (cone-free), partly to give a more pleasing end result and partly to make it easier to distribute. Still waiting for my hair to dry so shall update on results

afu
July 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
Oh also, I only put the poo/CO mixture on my scalp, just CO on the length

goldloli
July 1st, 2013, 06:53 PM
SarieQ I think I wanna try this on my next wash except I'm still confused. What poo and dish do I use? I take it a cone free one? Does it have to be same brand? I'm worried about ingredients clashing like my pureology one did.

SarieQ
July 1st, 2013, 10:40 PM
I use Giovanni's Route 66 set of Poo and matching Co. I just mixed the same amount of both, about the same amounts each or so as you'd use if you were using the poo's and Co's seperately is about the amount you need per washing. I do know that the first time I tried it with my partner's poo/co they were not the same brand or similar purpose, and that even worked out well. For me I've wanted to keep them the same concurring sets with the same intended purpose of benefit to the hair.

I'm glad you're going to try it and I hope it works :)

SarieQ
July 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM
My latest poo/co of the month! This time I got Nature's Gate Lavender and Aloe for normal to dry hair. I must say OMG!!!!!!! Generally when I get a poo/co that says for normal or dry hair, it usually doesnt do anything spectacular for my hair, just a general wash for normal everyday. However, this one is the BOMB !!! It made my hair feel like silk and so well nourished, and yet it also gave it sooooo much body! It was amazing and I am so looking forward to using it again and again and again. This will definately be a staple blend for me. Sort of like the "old trusty" to fall back on as I experiment with other brands and blends. :) I LOVE MY HAIR ROUTINE and MY HAIR LOVES IT TOO!

SarieQ
July 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Ok so I had a great trip to WholeFoods and got to peruse the shampoo isle for a while last night. I wasn't going to buy another poo/co to blend until next month, but the one that I really liked was on sale for like $2 off a bottle!! So I got Beautiful Curls Shea Butter Curl Activating Shampoo and the coresponding CO too. Technically it's a leave in CO, but that's not much chemically different than a normal wash out CO. I did a little test batch blend this morning to see if I liked it before blending it all and it WAS GOOD! I was nervous because these sort of products are usually for curlier/coarser/dryer hair than mine and so tend to weigh my thinner/finer hair down to a greasy blob. HOWEVER by mixing the two and not using the leave in as specified--my hair came out really soft, light and fluffy, and more curl actually than normal. When I combed it out and pulled it back into a pony held with a scrunchie--it made it look as though I had double the hair back there. (normally I do not like how my hair looks in a pony and sort of just do this around the house, but this made me want to wear it out knowing I'd feel comfortable with how my hair looks up like that). It even gave me some nice whispy curls at the sides where not all my hair fits back into the pony yet. I'm definately going to use this and will probably buy more when this is gone. I like it better than Giovannie Smooth as Silk and its more natural than that brand and it's formula.

So I have reviewed few different brands and blends and no adverse effects like chemically causing a bad reaction. These ingredients for the most part seem compatible with each other and I will continue to try out new blends each month and post my results.

SarieQ
July 20th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Afu!!! I was wondering how this is working for you and if you've tried it on all the length?? How did your results go when it was dried? Have you continued using your version of it on the scalp and co on the length and how is that working for you?

afu
July 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
I'd say the results are somewhere in between a poo wash and CO (which makes sense). I've been COing mostly, with CO/poo about every 3 washes. I use the Timotei organic sulphate/paraben free poo mixed equally with Morrisons jojoba condish (my usual CO condish), I only ever put poo on my scalp, never the length because it just doesnt need it

SarieQ
July 23rd, 2013, 11:42 PM
I'm glad it's working for you the way you do it, and yeah I would agree that it feels like inbetween poo and co and does fully make sense to describe it like that :)

Aliantha
July 24th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Wow - subscribing to this thread! I currently use Aubrey Organics poo + shampoo, but lately my hair is feeling dry on the ends and my scalp is super oily. I ran across recommendations online to use a one part poo + three parts conditioner mix and was intrigued. I've dabbled with co-washing before but it made my hair flat and stringy and my scalp as oily as ever. Maybe it's because my skin is too sensitive to use the conditioners often recommended for co-washing - Suave, VO5, etc. I can't use those, but most "natural" conditioners are too rich or something. I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out about mixing poo and condish.

butterfly_dream
July 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
New thread for me to join! :)
Currently I’m COing mostly, but I would like to try poo/CO mixture.
I have a nonionic surfactant based shampoo, which should not react badly with my condish.
I’m curious to try.

Aliantha
July 26th, 2013, 07:32 AM
A mix of shampoo and conditioner worked on my daughter's hair! Her hair is fine and mostly straight, with odd slight waviness in patches and a tendency to look fuzzy/bristly on the top of her head. Or, at least, that's what it's like when I use Aubrey Organics Blue Camomile shampoo and conditioner normally. I wet her hair really thoroughly, then just mixed 1 part shampoo with 2 parts conditioner in my hand and rubbed it in really well all over her scalp. I left it to sit a bit, then rinsed it out very well. Her hair is much smoother and more even in texture/wave. I washed it Tuesday night, and today her hair is still smooth and shiny and not greasy at all.
Now as for me, I've tried the same technique on my straight, fine hair and it's OK; my scalp feels a little greasy the day after, just like with shampooing and conditioning, and my hair seems a bit limp. My hair feels sort of oddly "wet" all the time...? It's not wet or super greasy really, it just has a cool, damp feeling if that makes any sense...

Aliantha
July 28th, 2013, 09:01 AM
On Friday I tried 1:2 with the AO blue cam with much better results! I usually get the greasies later in the day the day after a shampoo and condition, but today (Sunday) my hair is only a tad bit oily in small places near the roots, and the rest is nice and smooth. Hopefully these results will last - I'm tired of bristly, stressed hair that I have to wash every other day.

SarieQ
August 8th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Oh, Aliantha! I'm so glad the results have worked so well for you and DD!! I haven't tried it 1:2, only 1:1--so I was wondering if that was the result of your "wet scalp" feeling perhaps? I have no idea, I just haven't had that as a result myself. I'm glad that you've shared about using AO products because that's something I'm curious about and if it will work. Not sure if the next lot i buy to test will be AO or not--so many poo's and co's and sooooo little time LOL I have found good results and i like everything I've tried so far though. I'm even giving Giovani Smooth as Silk another chance because I talked down about it earlier, and then tried it when I didn't care how my hair looked this time and it came out good results.

Butterfly_dream--have you tried a mix ?? If so, what did you use and how were the results??

Macaroni
August 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I just did this out of the blue the other night. I mixed a VO5 shampoo with a VO5 conditioner. I went too heavy on the amount of the conditioner, though, and will do 1:1 next time. I love it, it's a timesaver.

jeanniet
August 9th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Seems to me I did read a couple of years back that at least some members were doing this, but I can't remember who. I'm not going to try it because I don't want to use shampoo that often, but I wish you continued success. :)

SarieQ
August 9th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks Jeanniet! I too remember reading other members were doing this, so I'm glad that you said that since nobody else here seems to recall this even being a method that was used! LOL
Macaroni--I can't wait to see how the results are for you 1:1! I hope it goes better this time. I'm reluctant myself to try 1:2 because my hair hated CO only and I like the balance I get from 1:1 and I guess why rock the boat LOL

butterfly_dream
August 9th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hi, SarieQ :)
I’m using your shampoo &CO method for a couple of weeks now. Thence I can say:
1. I use Poo & CO mix on the scalp area and it works greet.
2. I absolutely need additional conditioner on the length.
3. I wash my hair every other day due the hard workout I do. I don’t know if this method can be too harsh this way. We will see at the end of August (I normally give one month try to every new thing I do).
4. Oddly my hair takes more time to dry if washed with Poo&CO mix. :confused:

jacqueline101
August 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I've used in the past before Pantene changed their line I used Pantene ice shine two in one. I liked it.

SarieQ
August 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah Jacqueline101! I used Pantene too before I went organic !! I believe it was like 1990 that the Pert came out with the 2 in 1 and then in 1992, Pantene came out with their 2 in 1 --and I immediately switched to that one! The results I have with mixing these blends myself gives me the same results I had back then, but better I believe since I'm still using more natural formulas.

butterfly_dream
August 27th, 2013, 06:51 AM
For the last month I have been following the 1:1 Poo&CO mix routine.
Well, it works great, but my hair became a bit more dry and tangled at the ends. I feel my locks need way more conditioner. :rolleyes:
Therefore, I will be back into my CO routine.