PDA

View Full Version : Protein treatments question

Suze2012
June 29th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I have curly but not dyed hair.
It's quite moisturised...possibly could do better...well..I know I could do better to be honest! :)

The last time I did any kind of a protein treatment was a long old time ago now and it was a purchased product.

I don't know an awful lot about protein in all honesty and was wondering if protein treatments are something which should be done a few times a year maybe?

I am aware not to use too much but usually I will opt for an oil treatment rather than a protein one.

I saw a really easy recipe with just egg yolks and a teaspoon of olive oil - I am all for ease (lazy! Lol!)

What are your thoughts and how often would be a good idea?

Having got past my first year of co washing and uber happy with my results and where I am at so far I am up for experiments again! :)

goldloli
June 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM
To be honest I don't think you need to invest in a protein product specifically since your hair is curly (tends to be protein sensitive) and not dyed. Curly hair does occasionally benefit from protein to give hair back its bounce if curls are looking limp. Egg protein is too large to work as a protein reconstructor but still has some temporary benefits for hair strengthening.

If you do want to use proteins i'd check out the kpak line, also collagen and gelatin may be good for your hair type.

Suze2012
June 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks.

Kpak? Never heard of that.
Must admit if anything I was thinking of something natural....less reading ingredients to avoid silicones also.

I will go look up Kpak though.

Suze2012
June 29th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks.

Must admit if anything I was thinking of something natural....less reading ingredients to avoid silicones also.

Update: Eek! Expensive stuff! Lol!
Are there any other recommendations for a protein treat?

Alexblue
June 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I've had good experiences with low fat coconut milk and honey. Applied to dry hair and left under a hair cap for an hour or so.

Phalaenopsis
June 30th, 2013, 05:12 AM
If you want a cheap protein treat for your hair, try yoghurt or milk. It also makes your hair supershiny ^^

Firefox7275
June 30th, 2013, 05:23 AM
What are your hair properties, is your hair porous or not, fine or coarse? Fine hair tends to do well with protein, coarse hair tends to do badly, this is irrespective of curl pattern.

The proteins in the vast majority of food items are too large to penetrate or adhere to the hair, they will just wash away again, any benefit is likely from something else in the mix (eg. fatty acids in egg or oil, lactic acid in yoghurt, humectant properties of sugar in honey). You need hydrolysed protein: UK options include DIY gelatin, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume conditioner from pound shops/ BodyCare/ Home Bargains (works as leave in or overnight deep treatment even tho it is a regular conditioner), Komaza Care protein strengthener from British Curlies.

goldloli
June 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks.

Update: Eek! Expensive stuff! Lol!
Are there any other recommendations for a protein treat?

Well ethnic shops in england sell aphogee products for cheap, it is stronger that kpak though.

The point I was making, much like firefox, is that most diy proteins such as yogurt and eggs aren't actual protein reconstructors/treatments. You can get many cheapy conditioners with hydrolyzed proteins/amino acids in them, that should be enough for you since you dont practice damaging haircare. I may be misinformed here but i think gelatine is the only diy type substance that is small enough to have an effect, they use it on the curl talk forums as many are fond natural ingredients. That doesnt mean eggs and stuff aren't great for hair masks, they just dont work as protein t.

Firefox7275
June 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/protein-conditioners-for-hair-part-2-of_03.html

fairview
June 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Protein treatments are used primarily to correct porosity problems. If you don't have porosity problem then protein treatments will be of minimal value. The best will be available only through salons since they contain keratin which is what our hair is made of. The keratin will fill in the missing chunks on your hair but eventually will fall out in about 6-8 weeks. Once the hair shat is damaged it can not be permanently repaired short of trimming it off. Too many keratin protein treatments too frequently will make hair extremely brittle and cause it too break. You may find them as diverted products on Ebay and such but you will not find them at retail or beauty supply stores. The manufactures are quite aware of the 'If once every 2 months make my hair really nice then if I do it every xxxx weeks my hair will be that much nicer' mentality and don't want the bad PR of your product is making my hair break off.

To determine if you have a porosity problem take a strand of hair and push it under the surface of a glass of water to break the surface tension. If after a reasonable period of time it sinks, you have a problem; if it remains floating, no problem. Porosity is more a result of not getting regular trims, excessive lifting or the real killer using hit tools without a thermal protector. Today's color is rarely a culprit as professional salon color leaves the hair in better condition than prior to color.

Wildcat Diva
June 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM
My hair seems to like protein treatments but I think I'll not push it too often. I use the not at all cheap option: horsey product Mega-tek from the tractor supply store. Talk about experimental! My hair seems to like it bunches used occasionally.8

Firefox7275
June 30th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Fairview everyone has damage to cuticles which can be patch repaired - 'weathering' - especially those with longer hair who can have no cuticle remaining on the ends of the hair, you don't have to have high porosity to benefit from hydrolysed protein. There are hydrolysed proteins other than keratin which are effective, there are hardcore protein 'treatment' products and weaker 'everyday' products on the market, neither are 'better', one will suit my hair type and issues and another might suit yours. Certainly a balance is required between protein and other ingredients.

Permanent salon colour contains peroxide and nobody has ever found a way of preventing peroxide/ persulphate bleach damage, you cannot truly leave hair in better condition than before with a salon dye job, as you say yourself hair cannot be repaired. Just one exposure to peroxide or persulphate bleach damages the lipid cuticle 'glue' as well as blowing holes in the cortex by destroying melanin, that is exactly what porosity is. The issue is worse if the product is alkaline which many salon colours still are. Sorry but you have been reading too much advertising material, today's colour is all too often a culprit.

That porosity test has been debunked by a number of those with a science background, for example http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/01/junk-science-hair-porosity-tests-float.html