PDA

View Full Version : Hair shedding after surgery...

SarieQ
June 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I had to have emergency surgery two weeks ago because I got a stick impailed in the socket beside my eyeball. :rolleyes: Doing great for the most part, but my hair is falling FALLING out like mad this week. No matter what I'm doing, I just seem to find hair all over me or my knitting or even on the computer keyboard :( Has anyone else noticed major hairloss after surgery?

faellen
June 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I've had just two surgeries in my life - one under general anaesthetic, and the other where I was awake with a nerve block, and I didn't get any shedding from either...

There's various anecdotal stuff all over the Internet about surgery and hair loss and it seems the main factor could be stress. I imagine such an injury and subsequent surgery have maybe taken their toll?

jeanniet
June 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I would also guess that it's from the stress/shock of the injury, and shouldn't last too long now that you're on the mend. I would pay particular attention to eating a good diet, drinking enough water, and getting plenty of sleep for now. I'm glad you're OK!

ravenreed
June 28th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I have had several surgeries in the last few years. The last one to remove an ovary caused a HUGE shed. I lost maybe a quarter to a third of my hair and am still waiting on it to finish growing back. I think I shed for a good six months before it stopped...

ETA: Glad you are okay now. What I tried was rosemary rinses on top of my normal catnip rinses. I am not sure if it helped but I was pretty sure it couldn't hurt.

SarieQ
June 28th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone! :) I'm hoping it was just the initial shock and stress to my system. I did go back on MSM and gonna resume a lot of the herbs I used to take years ago that I've gotten away from. I also just got some monistat to start doing that treatment too ;) BTW, my hair is now six inches total all over my head because I shaved it a year ago for a fresh start, so I REALLY want to dea with a shed NOW instead of when I finally get it long and then have to deal with it as STRESS is always my downfall ;) LOL

Michiru
June 28th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Oh my gosh yes. I had stomach sugary and at first my hair was fine. Then I had to be put down again to get my wisdom teeth removed a few months later. After that I had nearly 6 months of hair falling out. Every time I combed my hair I had a comb full of hair. Even if I just waited a few hours between brushes. I concisely knew it was from the anaesthea but I felt I was going to loose half my hair for good. It's now almost 2 years later and it's back to what it was.

SarieQ
June 28th, 2013, 10:09 PM
OH god that is horrible, but I'm glad that your hair is back now :( Yeah, I have the distinct feeling that it's from chemicals that my body is not used to.