PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get tired of your hair silhouette?

purplehippo
June 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Do you ever get tired of the silhouette of your hair? I started growing my hair out around 7 years ago, and I'm tired of the silhouette from the front. It's just so, plain and sometimes I feel drowned by my long hair.

I think I am going to cut it soon, but I know I will miss the long hair and freak out. But at the same time sometimes, and more frequently I just really want to cut it and enjoy it.

As much as you all really love having long hair, do you ever get tired of the silhouette and just want to do something fun? I'm about to turn 20 and finish my undergraduate degree. I am indecisive and I was hoping to find a way to be mentally prepared to cut it. Help please.

What are some things that you would make sure you did before you cut it so that you know that you got the most out of it? I want to find a way to not regret cutting it all off.

Thank you

dulce
June 28th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Why not cut some bangs and side shoulders length layers and a v back,I did that as I felt my all one length hip + hair looked too plain,my back is still hips + but the front layers,bangs soften the look in front and the v adds interest to the back if worn loose and if I wear it up ,I leave some layered front pieces loose at the sides.Now I love my long hair again.If you cut you may regret it plus it takes years to grow back.Also check out new hair toys.Good luck.

purplehippo
June 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Why not cut some bangs and side shoulders length layers and a v back,I did that as I felt my all one length hip + hair looked too plain,my back is still hips + but the front layers,bangs soften the look in front and the v adds interest to the back if worn loose and if I wear it up ,I leave some layered front pieces loose at the sides.Now I love my long hair again.If you cut you may regret it plus it takes years to grow back.Also check out new hair toys.Good luck.

I spent many years growing out layers. I also plan on selling it whenever I decide to cut it short, so layers are not very desirable... I do have bangs, I've grown them out a little though... I'm really hoping I don't regret it and want to grow it out again.. it'll take a really long time...

motormuffin
June 28th, 2013, 11:14 AM
You know the awesome part about hair...it grows. I've cut and grown my hair several times. I don't regret it and I enjoy the journey.

Chromis
June 28th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I don't understand what you mean. With long hair, there is no reason to have the same silhouette if you don't want to! That's one of the fun things about it. You don't need to cut it to change your style if you don't want to.

Ways to change up your silhouette:
Updos! - High versus low make a lot of difference
Braiding - French and Dutch braids both change my silhouette pretty dramatically
Crown braids - This needs its own entry! You can do a true crown braid or a false crown braid if you have enough hair. The false crown is just a regular braid wrapped around your head and pinned in place. You can also try Heidi or milkmaid braids.
Pouf - I'll admit, not my thing, but they are popular right now. You can get higher lift using a product like a Bump-it
False bangs - You can find videos on YouTube for how to make false bangs or even a false bob!
Victory rolls
Rag curls - if your hair is straight, there are hair-friendly ways to curl it up and if your hair is curly, there are ways to wrap it so you can try the other way around

I'm not a fan of having bangs or layers. I find them limiting and prefer one-length hair because that is the most fun to play with. Have you tried hair sticks or forks yet? They are so much fun and open up a world of styles and new looks :D

neko_kawaii
June 28th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I'm of the same mind as Chromis. The only thing I'd add to her list is that in addition to varying bun position vertically, you can also vary it horizontally. Try one bun low behind your ear.

purplehippo
June 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I don't understand what you mean. With long hair, there is no reason to have the same silhouette if you don't want to! That's one of the fun things about it. You don't need to cut it to change your style if you don't want to.

Ways to change up your silhouette:
Updos! - High versus low make a lot of difference
Braiding - French and Dutch braids both change my silhouette pretty dramatically
Crown braids - This needs its own entry! You can do a true crown braid or a false crown braid if you have enough hair. The false crown is just a regular braid wrapped around your head and pinned in place. You can also try Heidi or milkmaid braids.
Pouf - I'll admit, not my thing, but they are popular right now. You can get higher lift using a product like a Bump-it
False bangs - You can find videos on YouTube for how to make false bangs or even a false bob!
Victory rolls
Rag curls - if your hair is straight, there are hair-friendly ways to curl it up and if your hair is curly, there are ways to wrap it so you can try the other way around

I'm not a fan of having bangs or layers. I find them limiting and prefer one-length hair because that is the most fun to play with. Have you tried hair sticks or forks yet? They are so much fun and open up a world of styles and new looks :D

Thank you. I need to stop being so lazy, get over the annoyance of tangles while in the middle of braiding and try this...

Firefox7275
June 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Change your part, have a different style of bangs, sock bun curls?

Chromis
June 28th, 2013, 11:43 AM
What helped me a ton to not tangle so much when braiding it to first always make sure everything is detangled before I start (I know, so obvious....but I had to learn this lol) and then to keep smoothing the strands after every crossing. You get pretty quick at it after a while and that keeps the ends from back braiding.

I was pretty terrible at first, so I started first doing sleep braids. Oh my word, what a difference that made! I used to have sooooo many tangles in the morning! My braiding got better, and my hair was much faster to comb in the morning and stopped trying to kill me in my sleep. That's the perfect way to try French braids and such too, plus you'll have nice waves in the morning. :yay:

Suze2012
June 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I never get bored of my silhouette as it's different every day...but it's curly so bound to be!

I really hate wearing my hair up but now I'm around mid/low back length I go for a cut if I ever get bored and I have an amazing hairdresser who has learned what my hair likes. We even argued about the length of some shorter layers I wanted cut in last time I went...and she showed me exactly why she thought she was right...and...er..she was right! Lol!)

I don't have a wish to grow mine as long as possible but just to have healthy curls and a good cut that suits me..
It's different objectives for folk on here and maybe some won't understand my objective but my objective used to e to grow it long as I was never allowed to have it long when I was a child/teen - I got to where I wanted and I guess only then did I want to do 'something else' with it - which for me was get it healthy.

I just glanced down to see a shiny curly botticelli ringlet...and I'm one happy girl (albeit a 44 year old girl....hehehe!)

What I'm saying is maybe it's time for a change for you - even if it's just for now finding ways to stay tangle free while braiding! :0)

dulce
June 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Just saying,I have no problems doing any of my usual buns or French ,rope or fishtail braids as I did not get a lot of layers,when I had layers all over my hair, years ago, the layers were a problem.I agree with trying out new buns ,braids and updos,ever done a pony with a Topsy tail gadget?I bought a book showing tons of ways to use this handy item in a variety of styles.There is a world of options out there for you.

prettyhairisred
June 28th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Just cut a bit at a time! Like if your at hip, go to waist.
Even if you don't like it, the best thing about hair is that it grows. Plus you're young! It's time to experiment!
Even try a really short style, like a pixie. Because you only live once, right? Plus I've genuinely met people who look way better with short hair. You never know until you try!

Bagginslover
June 29th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Face framing layers are good if youre bored, especially if you're part way through growing out bangs/a fringe, it'll help it blend in ;) I think I'll always have feathered face framing layers, even if I get rid of all my other layers in the sides and the back, they just soften my face when I wear it down, and look better short if I want some loose pieces with an updo. They also won'r affect too much of your hair when it comes to donating, and its only uses the same amount of hair as you;d have shirt for medium weight bangs anyway ;)

jacqueline101
June 29th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I agree maybe a change is in order some bangs and maybe a little bit of color.

AmyBeth
June 29th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Never. I think long hair is more versatile, and layers are more limiting. Just MHO.:)

spirals
June 29th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I agree with both dulce and Chromis, in that you can have angled pieces in the front (not necessarily layers, just a different perimeter shape) and still do the styles Chromis mentions. I adore victory rolls, and all-one-length hair might make that more difficult. I have a V-hem, layers, and graduated front, and I can do dutch/french braids, a crown braid--well, with a FAT tail, unfortunately--twin braids, and various buns (layers help when you have thick hair). All these can be changed by adding crown height. My hair shape changes every single day. Oh, yeah--and scarves.