PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for some opinions please!

mamaherrera
June 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Since being "into" my hair more now as an adult and caring for it, and such, we make lots of new discoveries about our hair. The last year I've noticed, (as I've always had bangs or something) that my sides go back in a bit on my forehead. My husband has always said I have a big forehead, always and my mom says that I' was born like this, so i'm hoping that's all it is. But when I went to a doc for thyroid testing, he lifted up my bang and said that my hair has receded in the sides. My mom said, "he's crazy, he's never seen you before, how does he know if you've receded or just always been like that." Nonetheless, it has gotten me down. I would so appreciate more eyes, if you would take the time and give me your opinion to look at my album. I don't know if it will link here on this thread, or if you can go to my album. My husband says some pics look different because the way I pull/part my hair, but the one where I have like a flower in my hair is from eleven years ago to compare. Appreciate any honest opinions. I don't mind being like that if that's just the way my hairline is, but it's scary to think I've had hair loss. Thanks so much in advance. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167

mamaherrera
June 27th, 2013, 07:05 PM
yes you will have to go to the album on this website that I've made, it didn't work as an attachment, don't know why. thanks

starlamelissa
June 27th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I looked through your album, and I think you have lost a little hair on your temples. However, I don't think it's drastic, or gone forever. Perhaps when your thyroid is all straightened out your temples will follow suit.

By the way, you are beautiful.

panffle
June 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I know a girl whose hairline looks like yours, and she has no thyroid issues and no health issues whatsoever... it's probably just your genetics. Still, did you have your thyroid hormone levels checked? It's important to know if it's working just fine. :)

mamaherrera
June 27th, 2013, 08:31 PM
well thanks, kind of hard to hear that I've lost, thanks for the other vote of confidence, actually my thyroid levels are perfectly fine. So I don't even know why he decided to check out my hairline. Maybe there are others out there with hairlines like mine, and it's normal.

BrightEyes
June 27th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I took a looksy at your album. My hairline is like that. My mom's and my sister's hairlines are like that as well, so for me it's genetic. It bothers me sometimes, but having bangs really helps hide it.

Your hair is lovely :)

mamaherrera
June 27th, 2013, 08:52 PM
thanks again, to know others are like that. My mom and sister aren't like that, but my mom says I've always been like that since little. I know I've always had a big forehead, it's just like you said, I've always had bangs, so I don't know if my temples have always been like that because I never paid attention before. that's why I included one of me eleven years ago to compare. But even looking for pics, it's hard to tell because like you said, I've always have had bangs. My husband says if it hasn't gotten worse in over a year, youve just been like that, because when it's a problem it always gets worse. But it has bothered me just because it's something I've discovered recently.

aster66
June 28th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Don't worry, i have a similar hairline as yours, its always been like that for me too. I think you look lovely :)

shutterpillar
June 28th, 2013, 05:22 AM
My hairline is very similar as well, and as far as I know I have no thyroid issues or thinning hairline genetics in my family. One side is a little further receded back because of my sleeping on it and rubbing around on my pillow. I am hoping my sleep cap may solve that issue. Another reason it is further back is because that is the side I part my hair on most of the time. (also working on that and parting it in other places.)

Some people have had good results trying to grow hair back by using castor oil. Is that something you have tried? Do you wear your hair back in tight buns or ponytails? That could contribute to a receding hairline, but It looks to me like you have not lost much hair from your hairline over the years. If you have then it is hardly noticeable.

GrowingOut
June 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Well, since your thyroid is fine, there's no need to stress about it. The lovely thing about people is that we're all unique, so no need to worry about things you can't change.

vamq
June 28th, 2013, 05:51 AM
My hairline is pretty similar to yours, so I think it is normal.

I do see for myself that when I shed more hairs than average, the first places where it becomes noticable for me is at the hairline, specially at the temples. This is even the case when the shedding is not that bad at all (e.g. summer shedding: shedding just a bit more than average, but not shedding huge amounts of hair). However, I seem to be the only one who notices. It's still no fun, but it's a comforting thought that no one else seems to notice. When the shedding stops, the hair grows back just fine, until my next shedding.
I never paid attention to this until a couple of years ago. I was freaked out at first, but not I know it is pretty much normal for me. I still don't like it, but it is normal. Sometimes, it would be better not to see such things because it is hard to unsee, eh?

Also, did you perhaps used henna/indigo before?
I remember that when I started growing out henna, I thought I was going bald at the temples and completely freaked out.
Turned out this was not the case, but henna thickened my individual hairs, so my natural hair was just a bit finer, and also had a lighter color (especially at the temples) which made it look like I had bald spots.

Could it be that it is the same for you? That it is the first place where shedding becomes visible?
I'd suggest to keep an eye on it, but don't worry too much about it. Stress won't do you or your hair any good.
Good luck :flower:

DancingQueen
June 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I think it might have been reciding a tiny bit, but nothing I would notice unless you pointed it out. Not sure though; it is hard to tell.

HairFaerie
June 28th, 2013, 08:06 AM
My hairline started doing that. I was taking birth control pills for many, many years. About 4 years ago, I got an IUD and stopped taking the birth control pills. My hairline grew in completely about a year after that! I haven't had any problem with it since.

It could be hormone related....

mamaherrera
June 28th, 2013, 08:27 AM
thanks all lots of different opinions, which is to be expected, but nothing terrible. I do use henna in those areas as I do have some white hairs in that area. Like I sai,d the general shape of my hairline has always been like that. Didn't know if it's receded or what, but I did have a four year shed, heavy shed that has improved, but it seems to be taking maybe longer to fill that part in. I henna in that area once a week, maybe that has something to do with it, too. Thanks so much to all who have take the time to look, think and respond