PDA

View Full Version : Is it completely pointless to do oiling if I use cones?

pheonixphire
June 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I usually do an avocado and argan oil prewash. But my hair is really prone to splits and I think the oiling and conditioning alone isn't enough protection. I don't use sulfates, my scalps freaks out when I do. I'm feeling pretty lost right now. Any advice?

akilina
June 27th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I don't see how it would be pointless one bit........

I use tons of cones, and oil frequently and over night and my hair definitely gets the benefits.

Vanilla
June 27th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I just purchased a serum with both cones and oils. It's ever sleek by loreal's serum. I love it so far.

I don't think it's pointless to oil with using cones.

The-Young-Maid
June 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I oil my hair every day and use cones. The cones don't seem to make the oils less effective.

Jorja
June 28th, 2013, 03:09 AM
My hair feels and looks the nicest using cones and then a little sweet almond oil, it doesn't go greasy - just shiny :)

pheonixphire
June 28th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Thank you guys so much! I was afraid the cones would create a barrier and prevent the oils from being effective. Obviously they don't, because they work for you :) and I was being silly. I forgot there were coney oil serums like Moroccan oil that were very popular. Thanks guys :)

Firefox7275
June 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Depends how much silicone you use and which cone, a thin layer from conditioner should not be a problem. There are cones that are water soluble (prefix PEG-) or do not build up (eg. amodimethicone). Most coney serums contain precious little penetrating natural oil - argan oil is particularly expensive.

Ingredients beneficial for strengthening damaged hair include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol. Avocado and argan oils can penetrate because they are both rich in oleic acid, but it's the lauric acid in coconut oil that is proven to help the hair retain structural proteins. If you don't get on with coconut oil other rich sources of lauric acid include palm kernel oil, tucuma butter and babassu oil.

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I use cones and oil it turns out great.

spidermom
June 28th, 2013, 09:46 AM
It's not like every hair will be coated with cones to the point of oil not being able to soak in. Basically, you distribute cones through your hair and oil through your hair, and there will be more cones on some hairs and more oil on others.

My favorite leave-in product has both argan oil and cones (I forget which ones).

Jenny31557
June 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM
You said your hair is really prone to splits, on top of oiling and conditioning, are you also wearing your hair up a lot? I've noticed a big reduction of split ends in my hair since wearing it up everyday. Hope this helps

prettyhairisred
June 28th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I think combining the two could actually really work to your favour. It does for me

Vrindi
June 28th, 2013, 05:57 PM
A lot of split-prone people have had good luck with catnip tea rinses. I've got it on my hair for the first time now, so we'll see how it works, but already my hair feels super soft.

BambooBeauty
June 28th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I looove using oils and cones.

labailaora
June 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I need the combination of oils and cones to even begin keeping the splits at bay - they don't seem to make each other less effective!

pheonixphire
June 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I never EVER wear my hair down. I just can't stand it in my way. I think that might be part of my problem though. Mechanical damage from ponytails. Spin pins work all right in my hair, but it still doesn't stay well. My hair is just at shoulder length so it's not long enough to use a stick or hair fork. Believe me, I've tried. I have to be careful with how tight I keep my hair too as well. Anything tight will cause handfuls to start falling out. I've lost 3/4 of my thickness due to years of tight buns and rolls. It didn't start to recover until after I cut it jaw length with my second pregnancy and couldn't wear it up. My hair used to be quite thick, but now it is thin. I'm hoping that once I can get past this hard stage I can start wearing loose braids with a paranda and that could help considerably. I'm gonna try the Redken anti snap and traditional leave in conditioner along with the argan oil.

spidermom
June 30th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Can you twist it up the back and clip into place with a claw clip? I did that almost daily around APL.

pheonixphire
June 30th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I have a goody ouchless clip thing. I use that sometimes. I just have to make sure it's not too tight, or for too long. Honestly, once I'm done with this current pregnancy and past the postpartum phase, I think I need to see a trichologist or maybe an endocrinologist? Because I still loose a fair amount of hair. Thank you all for being so helpful :)

faerielady
June 30th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Oils and cones all the way.