PDA

View Full Version : Hard to run fingers through hair

eros
June 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hi! I don't know what it is lately, but running my fingers through my hair is basically impossible. After I've detangled it/combed/brushed with tangle teezer, I can run my fingers through my hair for a few minutes maybe, and then it's back to being tangly again. Even combing through my hair is really hard to do,and I always start at the bottom. I think it might be dryness, but I've used hairmasks and oiled my hair alot, so I doubt that. My hair does feel really dry,though. Could it be over-moisturised?

red-again
June 27th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Could be protein overload? Might be worth clarifying and then moisturising and seeing how you get on?

Quixii
June 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM
First instinct is to say, "are you sure you're supposed to run your fingers through your hair?" I mean, if you're combing and brushing, then probably, but I just keep thinking that my curly hair does not want fingers going through it. :shrug:

Second instinct is to suggest clarifying, and moving on from there. If your hair feels dry but you've been moisturizing it, there may be some build-up or blockage preventing the moisturizing from working.

eros
June 27th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Ok, I will try to clarify, though I am a bit hesitant as my hair already seems dry, clarifying would be overkill. But I'll try it! What's a sure-fire way to clarify? A shampoo with sulfates? ( I already use that everytime I wash my hair,though.) Or perhaps vinegar?
I should add that I meant that combing my hair is hard to do. I have to use force to get the comb through my hair, even after detangling. It's just that it's gotten so bad I can barely even run my fingers through my hair, not that I do that very often.

teela1978
June 27th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I can't really run my fingers through my hair unless I've been using ridiculous amounts of cones. It's fairly normal. Lots of cones will help if you truly wish to achieve that though :)

red-again
June 27th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Maybe your hair needs a gentler / sulphate free shampoo, rather than clarifying then? Maybe it is too dry and the shampoo you are using is literally stripping the natural oils too thoroughly ech time you wash?
Also, how often do you wash? Might be worth trying to leave a bigger gap between washes? Or even trying a conditioner only routine? Or cwc?

eros
June 27th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Hmm, I will try the sulphate free shampoo thing, but it's just so hard to find. on top of that, alot of people with goooorgeous hair just use regular sulphate shampoo. :(
Lately though I have been lazy, I've just been applying any shampoo I can find,condition, and rinse, and thats it. I wash my hair every 2-3 days. If I don't, I feel icky.
As for conditioner, no no no! For some reason, after applying a hairmask or anything condition-ery/oily/moisturising, I shed like CRAZY. Sounds weird, but my hair has been getting thinner after joining LHC. Maybe I'm applying too much conditioner? I don't know.

Vivalagina
June 27th, 2013, 02:41 PM
My tangles get pretty gnarly if I don't chelate my hair to remove the mineral build up. I have very hard water where I live.

spidermom
June 27th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Often clarifying solves the problem because it will be the stuff on your hair (residue from oil, conditioner, minerals from the water, etc) that has dried out, not your hair itself. I discovered this rather dramatically several years ago. I was handing my big python, and he released musk all over me, including my hair since it was down. Snake musk stinks like you wouldn't believe! I ended up washing my hair with lots of shampoo three times before that horrible smell came out, and to my surprise my hair was soft and silky again (it had been dry before). I have to conclude that either snake musk is good for hair OR my hair had a lot of buildup that needed to come off.

Products can make a big difference, too. You might need a new shampoo and conditioner set.

eros
June 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Okay, I'll clarify. So just alot of shampooing my hair over and over? How many times? I've never really done a proper clarifying, since I already use sulphate shampoos.
And if all else fails, snake musk it is :P

jacqueline101
June 27th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I agree clarify if that doesn't work maybe it's your products.

kpzra
June 27th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Okay, I'll clarify. So just alot of shampooing my hair over and over? How many times? I've never really done a proper clarifying, since I already use sulphate shampoos.
And if all else fails, snake musk it is :P

Can you list what products you use (names so we can look up the ingredients or list them) and what your routine is? As for clarifying, I use the V05 Kiwi Clarifying shampoo, it works just fine. What are your hair classifications also, I checked your profile but it's empty.

Anje
June 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Standard buildup's definitely the first thing to rule out, but I agree that it sounds like what I experience with too much protein. The instant-retangling thing in particular rings true. But clarify first... normal buildup can occur easily and is easy to solve. Moisture/protein balance problems are trickier.

Is your hair extra stretchy, or does it feel mushy when it's wet? Those are signs of it being over-moisturized or under-proteined. Usually it'll tend to be limp, too, in that condition.

Over-proteined hair, on the other hand, seems to develop little kinks. It tangles and snaps rather than stretching even a normal amount. With my hair, it feels almost sticky to the touch when you pinch and slide your fingers down the ends.

-----

The solution to overmoisturized hair is relatively easy, in the short term. It needs a good dose of protein. Reconstructing-type conditioners are usually loaded with the stuff, or you can get an full-blown protein treatment. Homemade versions often call for eggs or mayonnaise, though I've seen some recommendations around here for diluted low-sodium soy sauce. That last one is appealing because it uses hydrolyzed proteins, which are more likely to adsorb to your hair well. In general, protein treatments leave hair feeling dry, so the usual advice is to do a moisture treatment right after rinsing the protein out. Some people find that they can skip this step, but it's worth being prepared.

Over-proteined hair takes a bit longer to combat. The first step is to start digging through your products, especially conditioners and leave-ins, and find out what has protein in it. You're going to want to avoid those for a while and likely will need to use them in rotation with other products or not at all, depending on how picky your hair is being. Look for ingredients that say protein, amino acids, collagen, and keratin to start with. (What's useful is that many of these are advertised right on the front, "Now with soy milk protein!") Find yourself some protein-free conditioner and make up a moisture treatment and let it soak. (I'm a fan of the SMT, though mixing a squirt of pancake syrup or honey or molasses into my condish is enough to make a quick and effective treatment.) Do regular, even daily, moisture treatments like this; you should find that protein-overloaded hair improves substantially with each treatment.

Take care that you don't overcorrect when trying to fix a moisture-protein imbalance. With hair that has been chemically treated, this fairly easy to do. Some people need to walk a tight line to keep their hair optimal.

Jorja
June 28th, 2013, 03:08 AM
I have to conclude that either snake musk is good for hair OR my hair had a lot of buildup that needed to come off..
You shouldn't say that here, we'll all be off to buy snakes and rub them on our heads lol

eros
June 28th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Since the forum changed I lost my hair classifications. I believe I'm a 1b,M, II. (Though I'm not sure about the volume anymore, as I've been shedding a lot lately.) Ever since I got this hair problem my hairs been frizzy as well.
As for products I use Syoss shampoo&conditioner (they're dutch products,though,so you might not know those) I have syoss glossing shampoo and syoss oleo intense thermo care. On both of them it says Pro-cellium Keratin. I have been using these quite a while now though, so maybe it's time to switch? I never know which products to buy,though, so many to choose from. I'm thinking about Pantene, I know it has wax in it or something and it's bad, but I've never used and I want to try. Or, maybe herbal essences? Or Aussie? Help me!

Firefox7275
June 28th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I would use a chelating shampoo in case you have mineral build up, that should deal with product build up as well. Many regular conditioners can be used as leave in conditioners, you don't need to use a different product. For regular shampoo ideally go sulphate free, certainly choose a product at pH 4.5 to 5.5 because this respects both skin and hair.

Sulphates are proven to thin the skin at concentrations as low as 1%, this can make you much more sensitive to ingredients in other products - they can also cause or contribute to hair loss in susceptible individuals. You might find going sulphate free means you don't react so badly to oils any more: if you do try oiling avoid ones rich in oleic acid (olive, avocado, almond, argan etc) because this is a known irritant.

spidermom
June 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I would advise buying a clarifying shampoo; it will say clarifying right on the label. Wash your hair once and see how it behaves. If it doesn't seem improved, next time it needs to be washed, use the clarifying shampoo again. I wouldn't do this more than 3 times.

Starblanket
June 28th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I agree with what everyone has said so far. :) If you find that you're still having trouble I recommend trying out mineral oil. It's not as evil as everyone believes. Try using a drop or two after you've tried all of the other suggestions.

I've been water only for almost two months now and I find that my hair is much more manageable and soft. It might be something to look into, although it doesn't work for many people on the long term.

Remember to experiment with only one thing at a time! :)

Panth
June 28th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Since the forum changed I lost my hair classifications. I believe I'm a 1b,M, II. (Though I'm not sure about the volume anymore, as I've been shedding a lot lately.) Ever since I got this hair problem my hairs been frizzy as well.
As for products I use Syoss shampoo&conditioner (they're dutch products,though,so you might not know those) I have syoss glossing shampoo and syoss oleo intense thermo care. On both of them it says Pro-cellium Keratin. I have been using these quite a while now though, so maybe it's time to switch? I never know which products to buy,though, so many to choose from. I'm thinking about Pantene, I know it has wax in it or something and it's bad, but I've never used and I want to try. Or, maybe herbal essences? Or Aussie? Help me!

If they both say "keratin" on them, then it's likely that too much protein is the problem.

As for Pantene - like every shampoo/conditioner, it works well for some people and terribly for others. The whole wax thing is a myth. It is 'cone-heavy, but then so are Herbal Essences and Aussie ... and cones are not always a bad thing (like everything else, it depends on what *your* hair likes). Pantene is no worse than any of the others.

Personally, I use Pantene S&C (Aqua Light) once or twice a week. I've got mid-thigh-length 1b,F,ii hair. No, the cones don't destroy my hair. Actually, quite the opposite - they provide slip and anti-static, which means I loose much, much less hair to mechanical damage than I otherwise would.

Anje
June 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM
If they both say "keratin" on them, then it's likely that too much protein is the problem.
This.

As for Pantene - like every shampoo/conditioner, it works well for some people and terribly for others. The whole wax thing is a myth. It is 'cone-heavy, but then so are Herbal Essences and Aussie ... and cones are not always a bad thing (like everything else, it depends on what *your* hair likes). Pantene is no worse than any of the others.
I agree -- everything you've named so far is heavy on the silicones. Because my hair's not fond of silicones or protein, I find the easiest thing is to stick to the really cheap stuff. Just about all the Suave Naturals conditioners (coconut and possibly ocean breeze are exceptions) are free from protein, and they all lack silicones. My hair loves them and has rebelled when I spent any more on products. Biolage Conditioning Balm and its knockoffs are good stuff, though, if you're looking for something heavier as a deep treatment.

eros
June 28th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Ok, thanks everyone! So first I'll clarify. Then i'll buy new products, either go with sulphate free shampoo or a coney shampoo like pantene/aussie. I want to go sulphate free to reduce the shedding, but then again with a sulphate free shampoo it's impossible to get oil treatments out of my hair ( I always end up with certain areas that still feel oily/greasy).
also, I realised that on pretty much every shampoo I own it says Keratin. so thats why even though I was switching shampoos, the problem persisted,lol.

Panth
June 29th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Ok, thanks everyone! So first I'll clarify. Then i'll buy new products, either go with sulphate free shampoo or a coney shampoo like pantene/aussie. I want to go sulphate free to reduce the shedding, but then again with a sulphate free shampoo it's impossible to get oil treatments out of my hair ( I always end up with certain areas that still feel oily/greasy).
also, I realised that on pretty much every shampoo I own it says Keratin. so thats why even though I was switching shampoos, the problem persisted,lol.

Just one thing to remember: if you go sulphate-free, don't also use 'cone-heavy products. You will definitely get build up from that (with the exception of the few cones which are water soluble ... can't remember their names, though).

And yes, if they all say "keratin", then that's your problem. You may well need to do some heavy moisture treatments as well as simply stopping the protein intake in order to get your hair happy again.

Firefox7275
June 29th, 2013, 04:45 AM
That is not necessarily true, Panth, cocoamidopropyl betaine removes silicones just as sulphates do. As you say certain silicones are water soluble (prefix PEG-) and others resist building up (eg. amodimethicone). Part of the issue with build up is washing technique, many of us use too much cleanser and too little massage, or focus on scalp washes forgetting that the lengths are where we applied the conditioner/ leave ins.http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones

cranberrymoonz
June 29th, 2013, 06:30 AM
To clarify, just do a proper shampooing. Use a little bit more than you normally use and make sure to cleanse all of your hair. Repeat if necessary, but don't overdo it;) Use a good conditioner afterwards:)

In addition, check for split ends. Damaged ends tend to be more tangly, and you need to get rid them before your ends clings onto themself, creating more tangles and more damage every time you try to separate. So consider a micro-trim.