PDA

View Full Version : Hairtyping

pressedflowers
June 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Note: I WISH this was the color of my henna!!!!!! The photo was a little dark so I cranked up the exposure so you could see the texture of my hair. My henna is not nearly this bright, sadly.

NaturallyCurly.com puts me at 2C which is how I've always identified (though when short it obviously curls up tighter, a little closer to 3A range).

Edited to add: this is the AM after overnight henna, soaked and rinsed out with conditioner. Used a wide-tooth comb in the shower. I did not apply any other products or plop or anything.

Your opinions?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/1010634_4967797923742_1816407033_n.jpg

biogirl87
June 26th, 2013, 10:24 PM
pressedflowers, I would guess you're a 2b/2c. You have some waves that want to turn into spirals but I don't see any spirals in your hair, which would be seen in 2c hair. Not sure if I have this correct, but I think henna helps to relax waves and curls in hair sometimes.

pressedflowers
June 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
You have some waves that want to turn into spirals but I don't see any spirals in your hair, which would be seen in 2c hair.

Yeah, the Naturally Curly quiz asked me if I had spirals or S-waves and I answered S-waves. I think they have a proprietary hairtyping system, though, so it could be a little different from a standard hairtyping. Thanks biogirl87!

biogirl87
June 26th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Not a problem. This was my best guess at it as I'm far from being an expert at hairtyping. I think the Naturally Curly system is confusing as it seems to combine the pattern and the texture in one. I think I'd be more of a 2a in their system while in real life I'm probably 2b/2c mix (some of my ends start to curl).

goldloli
June 27th, 2013, 06:26 AM
2c! you are the very definition of wavy hair hair on the cusp of being curly. I think if it were shorter and non henna'd that it could possibly be 3a. I wish i had uniform waves like you, mines around the same length curly and in the 2a-3a range, but it's all a jumble of curl types and looks messy.

torrilin
June 27th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I'd say 2c/3a. Your spirals are bigger than my sister in law's wind up with henna, but for reasons that are mysterious, henna makes her hair curl more intensely. It's not unusual for both 2c and 3a to have spirals that "pull out" some with length, so only the ends have spiral action. But they're definitely in the sidewalk chalk and marker range for diameter, so 3a is still an option.

Anje
June 27th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I'm thinking 2c/3a. You've got more than just a little end spiral happening.

(Also, I really don't get this S-wave vs curl thing that NC has. My hair is barely, barely wavy, but the waves that I do have are spiral shaped, not flat. Further, I don't think their hairtyping system is proprietary. Pretty sure Fia came up with the whole thing.)

ravenheather
June 27th, 2013, 07:49 AM
I would call it gorgeous! 2c in my opinion. I would love to have your hair.

pressedflowers
June 27th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks! Seems like the consensus is around 2c so I'm glad I've been identifying correctly all these years!

pressedflowers
June 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Further, I don't think their hairtyping system is proprietary. Pretty sure Fia came up with the whole thing.)

I guess I was just thinking their website has the little TM symbol next to the descriptions. But maybe that's for the names (wavy wurly or something?) themselves, not the type.

goldloli
June 27th, 2013, 11:14 PM
just posting again to post how jealous i am, i damp bun to get a uniform wave/curl like this yet this is how yours dries naturally.

CurlyMopTop
June 28th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I vote 2c. Your hair looks a lot like mine if I don't brush it out. Only yours is much thicker! Very pretty hair!

lapushka
June 28th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Another 2b/2c vote here. I can't quite see ringlets, but if you have some of those, it's a definite 2c.

pressedflowers
June 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM
just posting again to post how jealous i am, i damp bun to get a uniform wave/curl like this yet this is how yours dries naturally.

Awww. :undecided Don't feel bad, everyone has things they want to change about their hair! For example, from your avatar I see that your hair has gorgeous shine, which I will never have. :grouphug: Thank you for the compliments :)

BlazingHeart
June 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I'd agree with the others, 2b/2c. You're a distinct step wurlier than I am (I have 2a/2b hair)