View Full Version : Curly Alert: How many of these are true !!

karenpetal
June 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM
To all my fellow curlies - this hit home run for me - 27/31

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/problems-only-people-with-curly-hair-will-understand

Wondering how many of these are on your list too - I have learned to embrace it and love it for what it is :)

Cheers
K

Firefox7275
June 26th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Only about five, would have been way more before the Curly Girl method!

Kiwiwi
June 26th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I agree with Firefox7275!
Man, am I happy I found out about The Curly Girl Method!

But it is a funny list, though! Hahaha!

kitschy
June 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM
18. People saying, “Your hair looks so much better straight!” and thinking that’s a compliment.

This! AND it ticks me off!:patrol:

lapushka
June 26th, 2013, 04:12 PM
A lot of them are even true for wavy haired girls! I recognize a lot of the problems I had with my hair in High School! O gosh yeah, those were the days! :lol: I'm glad I learned a thing or two since discovering the curly girl method. I'm only sad that I was in my late thirties when discovering it in the first place!

Annibelle
June 26th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Haha, I'm a wavy and can relate to a lot of them, except the ones about how thick the hair is. Gosh, I WISH I could relate to that one. :lol:

karenpetal
June 26th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Only about five, would have been way more before the Curly Girl method!

Wow !! I need to learn the curly girl method ...

I agree with Firefox7275!
Man, am I happy I found out about The Curly Girl Method!

But it is a funny list, though! Hahaha!

Kiwiwi - you hair is simply gorgeous thud !!!

A lot of them are even true for wavy haired girls! I recognize a lot of the problems I had with my hair in High School! O gosh yeah, those were the days! :lol: I'm glad I learned a thing or two since discovering the curly girl method. I'm only sad that I was in my late thirties when discovering it in the first place!

Actually thats true - my cousin sister is a wavy and she would complain of the same ... though I think curlies take it to the next level -
I am now soo eager to learn the curly girl method

cathair
June 26th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I laughed so hard at number 11 :)

pressedflowers
June 26th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I'm a wurly now due to length but when my hair is shorter it's in the 3a range, and I related to SO many of these! Especially #12, #18 (so mean :() and #26. I don't smell, right? So I don't need a shower! ;)

Pierre
June 27th, 2013, 01:49 AM
#6 and #16 and maybe a few at the end. I don't use product, and my hair's usually braided and up.

Bagginslover
June 27th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Not a curly (though I'd dearly love to be!) But the Damon/Rebecca gif from TVD made me spit my tea at the screen!

Quixii
June 27th, 2013, 03:03 AM
My dad shared that with me earlier. :lol:
Actually, I didn't find I related to most of it. Maybe pre-LHC, but now I know how to care for my hair better, and also have a lot of "go with the flow" acceptance of my hair. :shrug:

Neneka
June 27th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I wish I had some of those problems. :lol:

I also read the article about "28 Exasperating Afro Problems" and that made me envious too. :rolleyes: (http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/28-exasperating-afro-problems)

DarkCurls
June 27th, 2013, 05:02 AM
About 10 or 11 apply to me, but they're all funny. Some of them used to apply, but don't anymore (thank you LHC).
I'm particularly fond of 15, because it's so true:

People are always trying to touch your hair, which just makes it frizzier.

Only a couple from the "Afro problems" list apply to me (understandably, since I don't have an Afro), but... I found it equal parts funny and disturbing. The examples the list gives make me think -- People really say things like that and think it's okay? :(
Thanks for sharing.

missfaroe
June 27th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Number 7 was so cute!!! :o

LadyCelestina
June 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM
11,13,14,21 and 23 are actually common problems for me :D But the rest...no.

Firefox7275
June 27th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Wow !! I need to learn the curly girl method ...

Actually thats true - my cousin sister is a wavy and she would complain of the same ... though I think curlies take it to the next level -
I am now soo eager to learn the curly girl method

Come and join the Naturallycurly Curl Talk forums or the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook. Wavies and tight curlies share many of the same issues but have our own distinct ones too. If I've worn my 2a-2c hair curly and comb it out I still look somewhat like Diana Ross in the Chain Reaction video (but shorter, for now), before I knew I was wavy/ curly I thought I had poofy 'straight' totally unmanageable hair. I wore a ponytail 24/7 for years and years and caused so much mechanical damage in the process: being unaware of your true wave pattern, which is an issue for many 2s, is as much of the problem as not being able to tame curls you know are there.

On the down side natural African American ladies get a lot of pressure, flack and even prejudice from their own community, some have been having relaxers or weaves since they were six or eight years old so have scalp damage by the time they transition. On the upside YouTube is rammed with tightly curlies, not too many wavy vloggers at all. Ditto with the products, the quality curly hair lines tend to be formulated for and/ or marketed to a 'black' audience and tucked away in the 'ethnic hair' aisle, caucasian wavies and curlies are fobbed off with silicone laden commercial rubbish. I'd like to see marketing by hair type not simply skin tone.

Firefox7275
June 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
About 10 or 11 apply to me, but they're all funny. Some of them used to apply, but don't anymore (thank you LHC).
I'm particularly fond of 15, because it's so true:

Only a couple from the "Afro problems" list apply to me (understandably, since I don't have an Afro), but... I found it equal parts funny and disturbing. The examples the list gives make me think -- People really say things like that and think it's okay? :(
Thanks for sharing.

See this thread and the entire Hall of Shame board
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/hall-shame-discussion/156894-youre-not-black.html

melusine963
June 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Far too many of these are true for me. Luckily, the LHC has taught me to wear my hair up, so I now I can avoid some of these problems. :)

The-Young-Maid
June 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM
lol I loved the GIF for 15 :boxer:

PinkyCat
June 27th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Awesome. Love this!

karenpetal
June 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks Firefox7275 for the comments and suggestions ...

Same here ... I treated my hair same as poofy straight rather than curly - I am in the "weird" middle - not a straight for sure but also not on tight curly side. My hair has gotten waivier/curlier over the years tough -

When I had my hair short I would just do a half bushy updo - APL onwards ponytails and now braid - french braid being my fav !!

Hugs

Come and join the Naturallycurly Curl Talk forums or the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook. Wavies and tight curlies share many of the same issues but have our own distinct ones too. If I've worn my 2a-2c hair curly and comb it out I still look somewhat like Diana Ross in the Chain Reaction video (but shorter, for now), before I knew I was wavy/ curly I thought I had poofy 'straight' totally unmanageable hair. I wore a ponytail 24/7 for years and years and caused so much mechanical damage in the process: being unaware of your true wave pattern, which is an issue for many 2s, is as much of the problem as not being able to tame curls you know are there.

On the down side natural African American ladies get a lot of pressure, flack and even prejudice from their own community, some have been having relaxers or weaves since they were six or eight years old so have scalp damage by the time they transition. On the upside YouTube is rammed with tightly curlies, not too many wavy vloggers at all. Ditto with the products, the quality curly hair lines tend to be formulated for and/ or marketed to a 'black' audience and tucked away in the 'ethnic hair' aisle, caucasian wavies and curlies are fobbed off with silicone laden commercial rubbish. I'd like to see marketing by hair type not simply skin tone.

BambooBeauty
June 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
oh how I wish I had curly hair lol

karenpetal
June 27th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Haha BambooBeauty - I guess when you say you wish you had curly hair you mean the gorgeous ringlet curly hair / tight curls and not the bushy curly :P

oh how I wish I had curly hair lol

Neneka
June 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM
karenpetal, I adore curly and wurly hair and afros too. Even if it's bushy. I would love to exchange my straight hair to bushy curly hair any time. I think curly hair looks gorgeous even if it's not in the perfect ringlets. I think afro hair looks really beautiful too. :)

LadyCelestina
July 3rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
karenpetal,I'm a curly and some days I wish the 3b curls I have at the nape would magically multiply themselves into a beautiful spirally mane. :D

curlywurlygurly
July 6th, 2013, 04:17 AM
this is a good list :) I can relate to alot of these with my waves/curls. It gave me a giggle.

Sharysa
July 6th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Wavy and not particularly curly, but still DEFINITELY true for me.

Especially 3, 7, 12, 14, and 16. I go through about half a 20-30 pack of elastics in a month, humidity is the bane of my existence, and I will never have bangs again because it would mean daily straightening like in high-school.

AnqeIicDemise
July 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM
18. People saying, “Your hair looks so much better straight!” and thinking that’s a compliment.

This! AND it ticks me off!:patrol:

As a curly haired lover - and enthusiast-- I prefer the curls. I compliment my friends when they have their curls out and about. Its just so lovely. Curly hair is MAGIC. :o