PDA

View Full Version : Crispy ends

honeybunnie8
June 25th, 2013, 06:58 PM
It seems like what ever I do the last few inches of my hair feels dry and a little crispy. I oil the ends after I get out of the shower with coconut or jojoba oil but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Right now I am doing poo bars with an ACV rinse but they stay crispy when when I cowash or just use normal shampoo and conditioner. deep treatments dont touch my ends either. My water is a little hard but not bad.

I have done a few catnip rinses but that didnt make a difference, but maybe I need to do more? I also just did a cassia treatment and plan to do a few more soon and see how that works with my hair.
I have fine WL probably 1c or 1a hair, its pretty forgiving so I can do any wash method I want and its fine except my ends always stay kinda crispy.

What worked for you guys? maybe a different oil? or rinse?

Kherome
June 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Try a chelating wash?

honeybunnie8
June 25th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I can try. Any brand suggestion?

PeacenQuietGal
June 25th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Hi HoneyBunnie, what is the "history" with your ends? Were they chemically damaged in any way? Reason I ask is because I used to count my "LHC hair" and my "NOT LHC hair" if you what I mean?

Anyway I really like Biolage Conditioning Balm for my below the ears conditioner when I CO wash with Suave Naturals, but that's just me. If you're a CO girl, the gurus here would tell you to clarify, then deep condition, or SMT.

HTH :)

Kherome
June 25th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I prefer L'anza chelating. But many here like Joico.

honeybunnie8
June 25th, 2013, 07:59 PM
My hair is all virgin. I have always been to lazy to do much with my hair.
right now I'm doing poo bars but I could try conditioner with it.

AnqeIicDemise
June 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I'd clarify and skip the coconut oil, see if that helps.

CurlyMopTop
June 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Having the same problem here right now. :( Already tried clarifying more than once. Now I'm checking for protein overload. I've had a rough time from the start keeping the moisture/protein balance. Through in the buildup issues I have = difficult hair.

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I agree clarify then try using a conditioner.

Kaelee
June 25th, 2013, 09:54 PM
When that happens to me, I try clarifying, and conditioning. Leave in conditioner helps. Usually I wind up trimming off the crispyness (really, it's only about 1/4-1/2" every couple months, so I'm not losing a lot by trimming.) Anything I've tried has been a temporary solution.

ETA: By "every couple months" I really mean every 3-6 months usually. Not every two. ;)

honeybunnie8
June 25th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Yea I just cut off 1/2" to try and help get rid of them somewhat (2 months ago probably). It seemed to help a little bit but now they are icky again. :(
Before I decided to grow my hair out I would go in and get 2" cut off every few months (3-6) to get rid of it.

ravenreed
June 25th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Sounds like protein overload. I would stop using the coconut oil. Check your poo bar and your shampoo and conditioner to see if there is any protein lurking. If it isn't protein, it could just be build up. I would clarify the heck out of my hair and see if it helps.

spirals
June 26th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I think I'm getting it from coconut oil. It's a habit to oil my braid tassels with it, but I should try something else, as I run into this from time to time. In the past cleansing the ends with baking soda has helped. I find grapeseed oil really helps my ends. I just have to break the old coconut oil habit.

AnqeIicDemise
June 26th, 2013, 03:24 AM
I think I'm getting it from coconut oil. It's a habit to oil my braid tassels with it, but I should try something else, as I run into this from time to time. In the past cleansing the ends with baking soda has helped. I find grapeseed oil really helps my ends. I just have to break the old coconut oil habit.

Make something else out of it. I had to do the same. While my hair loves protein, too much is too much. Instead I mixed it with shea butter, almond oil and a few drops of ylang ylang EO. It is now thicker, lovely scented (Just strong enough to bother me in my hair) and perfect for the rest of my body. I've been using it in my cooking too. So now the tub lives in the kitchen instead of my desk and I keep a small container of sweet almond oil in its place. So, when I reach over for something, what I get is *not* the coconut oil.

Firefox7275
June 26th, 2013, 07:01 AM
It seems like what ever I do the last few inches of my hair feels dry and a little crispy. I oil the ends after I get out of the shower with coconut or jojoba oil but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Right now I am doing poo bars with an ACV rinse but they stay crispy when when I cowash or just use normal shampoo and conditioner. deep treatments dont touch my ends either. My water is a little hard but not bad.

I have done a few catnip rinses but that didnt make a difference, but maybe I need to do more? I also just did a cassia treatment and plan to do a few more soon and see how that works with my hair.
I have fine WL probably 1c or 1a hair, its pretty forgiving so I can do any wash method I want and its fine except my ends always stay kinda crispy.

What is in your shampoo bars? Most are based on alkaline soaps or sulphate surfactants both of which are damaging, soaps can also cause build up especially in harder water. Try chelating, your ends have had years to get mineral build up. Vinegar rinses can also be drying if used regularly. Do be aware tho after a few years the cuticle can be completely absent due to 'weathering'/ mechanical damage, harsh cleansers can accelerate this process by dissolving the lipid cuticle 'glue'. Without the cuticle the cortex is unprotected, cannot properly retain hydration and will not feel smooth, if chelating is ineffective it may be that you simply need to trim the damage off unfortunately. Yo udon't need to be curly to benefit from these, just care about healthy hair
http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/03/indepth-look-at-porosity.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-the-scoop-on-vinegar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAjZjecFPFg

Oils are not moisturising they don't increase or add water, humectants and/ or fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants do that. Many commercial deep treatments don't contain any ingredients that will patch repair or nourish hair, just silicones which are even more oils. Perhaps your conditioning system is not balanced? Ingredients that are beneficial for damaged hair include coconut oil (but don't over do it, use as an ingredient, many find regular oiling is way too much), hydrolysed protein, ceramides and panthenol.

honeybunnie8
June 26th, 2013, 07:55 PM
These are the ingredients of the shampoo I have been using.
Ingredients: Babassu Oil; Grapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil; Avocado Oil; Jojoba Oil; Mango Butter; Castor Oil; Water; Shea Butter; Sodium Hydroxide*; Organic Marsh Mallow Root; Walnut Oil; Rice Bran Oil; Organic Aloe; Essential Oils Of Ylang Ylang, Lemon, Ginger; Rosemary Oil Extract (a natural antioxidant) - See more at: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/48/49/babassu-marsh-mallow-shampoo-bar#sthash.c9RkvIZ9.dpuf

I'll some of the suggestions and see how it works. thanks! :)

Firefox7275
June 26th, 2013, 08:36 PM
These are the ingredients of the shampoo I have been using.
Ingredients: Babassu Oil; Grapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil; Avocado Oil; Jojoba Oil; Mango Butter; Castor Oil; Water; Shea Butter; Sodium Hydroxide*; Organic Marsh Mallow Root; Walnut Oil; Rice Bran Oil; Organic Aloe; Essential Oils Of Ylang Ylang, Lemon, Ginger; Rosemary Oil Extract (a natural antioxidant) - See more at: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/48/49/babassu-marsh-mallow-shampoo-bar#sthash.c9RkvIZ9.dpuf

I'll some of the suggestions and see how it works. thanks! :)

That is a super sneaky ingredients list. Those oils are not in a shampoo or it would not work because there appears to be no surfactant/ detergent, but most if not all of the carrier oils will have been saponified (turned to soap) by the sodium hydroxide (strongly alkaline). I bet that has a harshly high pH. Alkaline soap was traditionally used to degrease household items and fabrics, never intended for the human body or hair, humans used soap wort or soap nuts (both acidic) historically: Tonya McKay's comments on soap is highly relevant here.

biogirl87
June 26th, 2013, 08:52 PM
That is a super sneaky ingredients list. Those oils are not in a shampoo or it would not work because there appears to be no surfactant/ detergent, but most if not all of the carrier oils will have been saponified (turned to soap) by the sodium hydroxide (strongly alkaline). I bet that has a harshly high pH. Alkaline soap was traditionally used to degrease household items and fabrics, never intended for the human body or hair, humans used soap wort or soap nuts (both acidic) historically: Tonya McKay's comments on soap is highly relevant here.Firefox, as far as I know, Chagrin Valley makes all their shampoo bar to be sulfate-free, saponifiying the oils they use in the process of making the shampoo bars. I'm not sure what would be acting as a surfactant among the ingredients honeybunnie has listed. Honeybunnie, you could try contacting Chagrin Valley, letting them about the problems you're experiencing and maybe they'll be able to suggest something as well.

honeybunnie8
June 26th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Yea the bar is all saponified oils, its works for all my hair but my ends.
I have thought about contacting CV and probably will but even if I was using a different wash method I still have the crispy ends. I only just switched to the bars 2mo ago and this has been an issue with my hair for some time.

I'm going to try the chelating shampoo and see how that works and move on from there. :)

Teazel
June 27th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Clarify and ditch the coconut oil. Also try damp bunning.

honeybunnie8
June 30th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Update.
So I clarified and conditioned and only used jojoba oil in my hair and my ends were better then I got a chelating shampoo and used conditioner and now my hair is super shiny and soft.:D.... Unfortunately now nothing stays in my hair to keep it up, even my flexi 8s are slipping out. Lol i know fwp.
I'm going to do another cassia treatment and see if I get some body from that.

10000days
July 2nd, 2013, 05:49 PM

Three days ago I read this thread and thought 'ugh crispy ends- at least I'm not the only one'- BUT I've since 'clarified' as the LHCers call it. Now my ends are soft again!
I used 1 teaspoon of baking soda, dissolved it in a bit of warm water, added it to my normal shampoo, massaged it in, rinsed with cool water, conditioned normally, vinegar rinsed. Now my ends are soft! So like the others said you may just have product build up and I recommend clarifying.

spidermom
July 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
Glad to hear you have overcome your crispy ends for now.
I would ditch the shampoo bars. Hair/scalp prefer acid pH, soap is alkaline. At the very least, use an acid rinse (lemon juice or citric acid or vinegar in warm water)after washing with the bars.

My ends have benefitted a lot from being very careful to massage my conditioner into ends first, then I move higher up my length and massage in more conditioner - 2 or 3 tablespoons total, and squeeze it down my length. I don't think enough conditioner was getting on my ends back when I'd start just below the ears.

Teazel
July 2nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
Yay, I'm glad your problem was just build up! :) I hear you on clean hair slithering out of confinement. It's one of the reasons I wash my length as seldom as I can get away with.

Lockoptimisten
July 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
I just cut My ends 1cm, Wonder if i shouldn't. Maybe it was build-up from My poobars.

WilfredAllen
July 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I have this problem and it's usually build up from conditioners and oils. I have low porosity hair, so those products that others rave about just sit on my hair and don't soak in making it crispy. I stopped using oils and 'cones and I'm trying to stop using conditioner all together. My hair it oily and I am just using a very, very diluted SLS-free shampoo on my scalp and the whole length when it gets too greasy.

I cut alot of hair off two months ago thinking it was all damaged beyond repair :(

Shepherdess
July 8th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Update.
So I clarified and conditioned and only used jojoba oil in my hair and my ends were better then I got a chelating shampoo and used conditioner and now my hair is super shiny and soft.:D.... Unfortunately now nothing stays in my hair to keep it up, even my flexi 8s are slipping out. Lol i know fwp.
I'm going to do another cassia treatment and see if I get some body from that.
I am glad to hear that your hair is doing better! That is wonderful! :)

I started trying coconut oil earlier this year, and I found that it made my hair feel very dry, and I really disliked it. So I agree with what others have said about it.

honeybunnie8
July 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I switched to just jojoba oil and that seems to be working. I love the shampoo bars but I think I have to go back to regular shampoo since my hair gets to dry from it. Which is sad because they give my hair more texture and waves.

ExpectoPatronum
July 9th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I kind of wish I had read about clarifying and conditioning for getting rid of crispy ends a couple of days ago! I took about an inch off of my hair due to my ends being all icky and crispy. :( I guess now I know for next time.

spirals
July 9th, 2013, 12:54 AM
My ends were like hay yesterday. After I got home I did a coconut oil soak for 2 hours and washed with my usual castile soap, but with baking soda added. I globbed some straight baking soda on the ends and massaged a bit, too. I did my usual acid rinse. All of my hair was a bit stiff while wet, but dried ok. I very lightly oiled it, braided for the night, and oiled the tassels after. It is so soft today, ends included. Trim averted.