PDA

View Full Version : Instructions for scalp washing

dancingrain91
June 25th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Okay, I feel like this is a silly question but everywhere I search for directions all of the links are broken that people are attaching that give step by step instructions for scalp washing with shorter hair. Mine is at bsl and every time I try to do scalp washes using the instructions for people with longer hair, all my length gets wet. So, since that seems to defeat the purpose. So could someone please give me instructions? Thank you!

Sharysa
June 25th, 2013, 06:05 PM
In my opinion, scalp-washing doesn't need many instructions. It's just scrubbing your scalp and then not scrubbing the length of your hair with shampoo too much.

After you're done with scalp-washing, just sticking your head under the shower and gently running your fingers through the rest of your hair will get the job done.

dancingrain91
June 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I guess the part that I have trouble with is how to not get my length wet. My hair is fine and veeeery delicate when wet, so I'd like to reduce how often it gets wet. But I exercise a lot so my scalp has to get clean somehow and I'm just having lots of trouble keeping the length dry. I know it seems silly to have to ask but I'd really appreciate any advice.

neko_kawaii
June 25th, 2013, 08:38 PM
From memory, I think the scalp washing techniques involved wrapping the length somehow, maybe in a towel or plastic and then using a hand held shower head to get just the scalp wet. I haven't done it myself but I remember looking at the articles you want. I wish I could think off the top of my head someone who uses such a technique, you could send them a message. I wonder if there is a thread on the topic. I'll try google for a bit, if I find anything I'll post a link!

neko_kawaii
June 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Searched for "scalp wash only" and here is the first thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49219) that appeared on Google. That should give you some ideas.

LaurelSpring
June 25th, 2013, 08:46 PM
What has worked best for me is to braid it and then hold the braid up with one hand (you can wrap it around your wrist if its long enough) and wash your scalp with the other hand. I usually do this in the sink because its a little easier there than in the shower. It might take a few times to get the coordination down but its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I have tried different ways to wrap it in the shower but the length always gets wet. I love scalp washes in the summer when I sweat.

dancingrain91
June 25th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Thank you both very much for all your helpful replies! I'll experiment with these new ideas and tell you how they work. It could just be coordination flaws, I'm so clumsy. Or it could be that all the ideas I've heard come from people with quite a bit longer hair than I have, mostly classic and longer. Anyways, thank you again!

PraiseCheeses
June 25th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Not to discourage you, but I wasn't even remotely successful with a scalp wash until I passed waist, and I remember others having similar experiences in the archived fora. So don't worry if it doesn't work for you now - it may work very well later. :) A few things that may make a difference:

As others have said, absolutely braid and wrap your length in plastic, and tie it securely. Even so, some wicking will probably be unavoidable.

You need to have a few inches between your head and your wrapped ponytail. Too little space and you won't be able to manipulate during washing or rinsing. Too much space and you run the risk of making the Bird's Nest of Hell. Experiment - and placement will also depend on your position while washing: bent over the sink, or upright in the shower? I think it's best if your roots are washed in the same direction you want them to dry so you don't have to comb through your length.

The movable sprayer head in my kitchen sink was fantastic for controlling direction and water pressure, but being bent over the sink meant all my baby hairs came loose and my roots dried in the wrong direction...

and combing out the roots got the length almost as wet as if I'd done a full wash. Leaving them alone would have meant a BNoH.

It's been a while since that foray into scalp washing; I should give it another shot (and we should compare notes! :)) I think if you have a movable shower head attachment and can stay relatively upright in the shower (leaving the roots nice and neat so you don't have to comb them while wet) it would be the easiest. Scalp-washing is definitely a goal worth working towards, even with so much necessary tweaking. Good luck and please come back and share how it goes! :flower:

EdG
June 25th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I think it is pretty hard to avoid getting one's length wet. One has to hold the length of one's hair above one's head, otherwise water just runs down the length.

Even if some water gets on the length, scalp washing has the benefit that shampoo is applied only to the scalp. The natural oils will not be removed from the length.

I haven't scalp-washed in a while. Instead, I'm diluting the shampoo and washing every 2-3 days.
Ed

Firefox7275
June 26th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Maybe try alternative methods of cleansing: dry shampoo like Batiste (wipe the excess away with a microfibre towel seems gentler and more effective than brushing), condition-wash-condition, choosing a super gentle sulphate free shampoo that is pH 4.5 to 5.5 so does not irritate the scalp into producing more sebum, soap nut extract (acidic pH), cold rinses prior to washing to empty the sebaceous glands, or even conditioner only washing. Sweat is water based so it doesn't necessarily need shampoo to wash, a water only rinse might be easier to do without wetting the lengths.

Whilst diluting shampoo can be worthwhile, the research shows that just 1% sulphate in an emollient base (aqueous cream) can thin even healthy skin, since commercial shampoo is up to 20% sulphates it's not likely you would be diluting below this. Ingredients that can help strengthen weak or fine hair include hydrolysed protein, ceramides, panthenol and, if you are also porous, coconut oil.

cranberrymoonz
June 26th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Washing your scalp without wetting the lengths of your hair sounds nearly impossible to do at BSL. But of course you can try:)

I second the dry shampoo and alternative cleansing methods. Wetting the ends is not too bad as long as you don't brush them or otherwise handle your wet hair too much. Good luck:)

SoulOfTheSea
June 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I love to do scalp washes occasionally, since I hate having a whole head of wet hair and waiting for that to dry. I just secure my hair into a low braided bun with elastics, tightly. Then I wrap a plastic grocery bag around JUST the bun and use several elastics to keep the bag secured tightly. I have a removable shower head with a hose, so what I do is flip my head upside down and just wet my scalp with the shower head. I then kind of smush the shampoo around on my scalp to get it to a lather, and then while my head is still upside down, rinse the scalp with the shower head. I then will squeeze the scalp with my head still down to get rid of excess water.

I think it would be pretty difficult to do this without a removable shower head on a hose, but other than that, this way works like a charm! :)

kidari
June 28th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I was thinking at BSL maybe you could try a version of something that resembles washing the bangs only? You can section out the front portion of your hair from ear to ear and then tie the rest back and tuck it away under your shirt or something. Then bent over the bathtub and with a hose attachment you can wash the entire front portion of the hair only? (All the way down to the length like a bangs only wash instead of a scalp only wash). It would be much easier to do. I have long bangs and shorter layers in the canopy of my head that I feel this will work out very well for me.