PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial, bun for "short" thick hair.

lapushka
June 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Thought this was interesting. It's obviously not short hair, but this is a problem you run across when doing buns on thicker hair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfohZwnt09A

Kristen121
June 25th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Thank you! I've been wondering how to make a braided bun that looks pretty and spread out, not just a big "knot" on the back of my head.

Kaelee
June 25th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I don't know if I could even get the "knot"...I love that they call this "short hair" though! It's longer than mine!

It's a shame they have to start with an elastic though..

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2013, 01:08 PM
It's cute.

bradlea
June 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM
The bun is a great idea, but this weird youtube genre of moms who do hairstyles on their little girls really freak me out. I get the impression that they would rather have a doll than a child.

lapushka
June 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM
The bun is a great idea, but this weird youtube genre of moms who do hairstyles on their little girls really freak me out. I get the impression that they would rather have a doll than a child.

I predominantly just wonder where they get the time to style their kids' hair so much. When I was little, my hair, day after day, went into quick, fast, pigtails and we were out the door in no time in the morning.

bradlea
June 25th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah! My mom would do a braided headband on days I needed to look really fancy but that was about it, haha. I'm someone who is obviously passionate about hair and I love playing with it and doing new styles, but I can't imagine having the time, let alone the inclination to do what these mothers do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7bjCSteybc

This is bringing to mind this tutorial for Victorian-style rag curls, like torrinpaige recently posted. As a kid I danced in the Nutcracker every year too, and these two are giving me flashbacks to all the stage moms and their snobby, bratty daughters. Not that I'm judging a ten year old... :whistle:

browneyedsusan
June 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM

The youtube moms might just be creative ladies who like doing their child's hair? I fixed DD's hair when she was little. Her teachers and friends complimented and she adored the attention! When she was 6 or 8, she didn't want me messing with it anymore, so I quit. Now she's 16, and sometimes lets me make a quick hawser or fishtail braid, but she usually does it herself. I'd love to get my hands on her pretty, WL, blondness; but she prefers me to rub her feet, instead of styling her hair.

leslissocool
June 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM
My friend's 6 year old will sit for hours letting me dress her up in crazy complicated hairstyles. I babysat her when our friend (the dad) had stuff to do. Her mother (who I don't know even now, I never met her) called my house and told me she kept asking to come to my house.

My daughter let's me do crown braids already, she's 3 :D. Some kids really like it. Nope, no bratty kids and I'm no supermom but my kid really like nail polish and dress up. Plus I'm gentle with hair and I enjoy doing her hair.

Now I have that problem with my coarse hair! I couldn't do a Nautilus or a knot bun until my hair reached BCL, and I still have issues because it's so much hair.

leslissocool
June 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
The youtube moms might just be creative ladies who like doing their child's hair?

You'd think in a forum about hair we of all people wouldn't judge moms doing their kid's hair for fun :rolleyes:. Or buying them a gazillion hair toys.

Kristen121
June 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I wish my DD would hold still long enough for me to style her hair in something more than a ponytail. She's only 4, so I'm hoping once she's school age she'll have a little more patience.

Vanilla
June 25th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I like how she ties the ends off. Makes them much easier to hide. I'm going to try this tomorrow (if I wake up early enough)

honeybunnie8
June 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I like it. I think I might try it tomorrow. I'm tired of a lazy bun with my flexi 8 anyway. ;)

bradlea
June 25th, 2013, 08:20 PM
You'd think in a forum about hair we of all people wouldn't judge moms doing their kid's hair for fun :rolleyes:. Or buying them a gazillion hair toys.

Oh, I don't mean to give the impression that I'm judging them for that! Or judging ANY mom who has the time and inclination to do their daughters' hair every day. I'm certainly not. It's something about the moms in particular that I've seen, with very popular videos, that rubs me the wrong way.

marykatz
June 25th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Cute. I wish my whole braid was as thick as one of hers.

Vanilla
June 26th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I tried it and it looks awesome (and it holds very well). This would be great for people with thin hair too.

WaitingSoLong
June 26th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I predominantly just wonder where they get the time to style their kids' hair so much. When I was little, my hair, day after day, went into quick, fast, pigtails and we were out the door in no time in the morning.

I cannot believe the kids sit still for it.

I don't know if I could even get the "knot"...I love that they call this "short hair" though! It's longer than mine!

It's a shame they have to start with an elastic though..

Yes, I was turned off at the initial elastic. :( I do two braids NOT in elastics and make them into an oval bun with a stick, secure with spin pins. Bobby pins make me cringe.

I love that "short" is (from what I can tell) waist length. That is short to me also! And her hair doesn't look any thicker than mine (which I conside my hair to be thick but I know there are MUCH thicker heads o'hair out there.)

kpzra
June 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Oh, I don't mean to give the impression that I'm judging them for that! Or judging ANY mom who has the time and inclination to do their daughters' hair every day. I'm certainly not. It's something about the moms in particular that I've seen, with very popular videos, that rubs me the wrong way.

They seem very bossy towards their kids. I've seen some act like their kid is a manikin head with how the treat/move/pull the hair.

WaitingSoLong
June 26th, 2013, 09:15 PM
They seem very bossy towards their kids. I've seen some act like their kid is a manikin head with how the treat/move/pull the hair.

This reminds me of some tutorials I have seen online using mannequins, where they YANK the hair and TUG IT hard or rip the brush through. Yeah, like we would do that on a real person?

kpzra
June 26th, 2013, 09:55 PM
This reminds me of some tutorials I have seen online using mannequins, where they YANK the hair and TUG IT hard or rip the brush through. Yeah, like we would do that on a real person?

I love when they just stab pins into a fake head to keep hair out of the way. :suspect:

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Yes, I was turned off at the initial elastic. :( I do two braids NOT in elastics and make them into an oval bun with a stick, secure with spin pins. Bobby pins make me cringe.

Me too. Here's a Jamie Leigh spin on it. I wish I could braid worth a crap. How about this... french braid from the top half way down, like for a half up, finish the braid for the first braid.
Flip over, french braid upside down the other half up to meet the other braid. Then wrap the two braids around each other and secure. . .. I'd like to see someone else give it a try!
http://imageshack.us/a/img18/2752/t9yd.jpg

Jorja
June 27th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Me too. Here's a Jamie Leigh spin on it. I wish I could braid worth a crap. How about this... french braid from the top half way down, like for a half up, finish the braid for the first braid.
Flip over, french braid upside down the other half up to meet the other braid. Then wrap the two braids around each other and secure. . .. I'd like to see someone else give it a try!

That looks really nice and intricate. I don't dare try it, I'd end up with a birds nest trying to braid up.

I love the girls hair in the video, I'm going to try this for work today.

WaitingSoLong
June 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM

I have done that before a long time ago but found the upside-down braiding was way too exhausting and not worth it.

I tried this braid/bun today (original post) and it was a total failure for me. The braids would not stay put no matter what I did, I suspect because of the loosening part, there was nothing tight enough to secure any pins to, even with spin pins. Plus my hair MUST be either thinner or longer than the girl in the video because my braids wrapped around a couple times.

Now I have a headache :/

Jorja
June 28th, 2013, 03:14 AM
I also tried the hairdo yesterday from the video, I couldn't tie the ends right as my hair is made of steel and wouldn't bend - it kept flinging the band off. Other than that it was very comfy and stayed all day. Took 6 spin pins though!

Bagginslover
June 28th, 2013, 04:46 AM

This looks lovely!! Going to try it out tomorrow!!

The way she ties off the braids in the video, wouldn't that be damaging bending them over like that all the time?

bradlea
June 28th, 2013, 07:50 PM

Exactly. I am not calling them bad mothers for liking hair. They just seem to care more about decorating their child than actually having one.

kpzra
June 29th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Exactly. I am not calling them bad mothers for liking hair. They just seem to care more about decorating their child than actually having one.

Heck, I'm just happy if my daughter lets me brush her hair. She does like sponge curlers in it though.

spirals
July 1st, 2013, 09:35 PM
My mom will do my hair if I ask her to, but she's clueless. She has a 1b pixie and I'm a 2c/3a waist-length. :lol: I only get to see her every few years, so having her touch on my head is nice. When I was a kid she cut it to chin because she didn't know how to deal with my curls. She had previously spent time every day blowdrying it straight.

illicitlizard
August 15th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Reviving old thread, why have I not thought of this? Have been frustrated with how uncomfortable buns are with my current shorter and blunt ended hair, this made a really decent braided bun, feels so comfy and secure. I also didn't ponytail my hair first...
https://i.imgur.com/amauaJCm.jpg

Feral_
August 16th, 2020, 04:47 AM
Reviving old thread, why have I not thought of this? Have been frustrated with how uncomfortable buns are with my current shorter and blunt ended hair, this made a really decent braided bun, feels so comfy and secure. I also didn't ponytail my hair first...

Very impressive!

ynne
August 18th, 2020, 08:00 PM
Ah, I was mislead by the title. :) I wonder what's the minimal length it needs?

It looks really pretty and elegant!

Lucy McLucyFace
August 21st, 2020, 07:32 AM
I gave this a try and it worked surprisingly well :D only problem is I don't have any proper U pins to hold it so I could only use my one hair stick and a few bobby pins so it didn't last long. But I'm happy nonetheless and I'll retry it once I acquire proper pins.
I also used an invisibobble tie for the ponytail and some regular elastics for the end of the braids so it was much heavier than the one in the video

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42353&d=1598016530

lapushka
August 21st, 2020, 11:11 AM
Very pretty you guys. :D

Kat
August 22nd, 2020, 10:44 PM
*Sigh* My hair is currently around her length, but not nearly that thick. If I tried it with two braids, I would have to wrap them around many times. It doesn't have nearly the same look (then it's just a giant vortex bun). For that effect where I wrap each braid around only once, my hair would probably have to be BSL or shorter...

(The other problem I face with this sort of thing is, when I do a braided bun I have to twist the braids the same way I would if my hair wasn't braided. If I just lay the braid(s) against my head in a coil like that, it wants to fall down. I would have to use probably a million pins-- and I mean Good Hair Days/u pins that actually hold some hair, not bobby pins. If I used bobby pins, I'd probably need 10 million. And when I twist them, then my bun doesn't look pretty like this does... it just looks like a hot mess. {Certainly not flat, and it doesn't look pretty and braided, it looks like an awful mess of knots, as if I took a braid and put it in blender and stuck the result to my head. Rather than "pretty" it just looks unkempt.})