PDA

View Full Version : Seborrhoeic dermatitis and Monistat/Roaccutane?

oktobergoud
June 25th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hi!

I'm not sure if I have Seborrhoeic dermatitis (what a word, pfew!), but I have something that looks a lot like it. My friend has it too and said it was worse when she had long hair, and the longer my hair gets, the itchier my scalp gets. And more flakes! I'm seeing a dermatologist for my acne and will ask her about my scalp the next time I visit her, meanwhile I've been Googling and read that a 'anti-fungus' cream could do the trick. So I was wondering: would something like Monistat help for this? Would it make my scalp a little bit better, or wouldn't it work at all?? I'm also going to start taking Roaccutane, so my overly oily skin will clear up. I do hope that will also solve the problem with my scalp, or at least a little. I feel my scalp is getting too oily too fast, which results in flakes and itchy, oily scalp.

Thing is, as soon as it's starting to get itchy it gets so annoying! When I scratch, my nails are covered with white, greasy flakey substance. It also really HURTS at some spots, like my scalp is on fire! The reason I wash it more often than I should (around every 3 days and then it's stretched because I can't take the itching anymore!) is basically because I feel like it itches less when my scalp is clean. I don't use sulfates, don't use oil or conditioner or anything on my scalp, tried tea tree oil mixed in my shampoo, clarifying, I only use henna etc. etc.

I don't really want to try everything out just yet, since I'm seeing a dermatologist anyway so might be better to ask her opinion of course. But it will still take about 2 months before I see her again! So, long story short, I was wondering if Monistat COULD make my scalp a little better, if that would technically be possible? I still have some left so I might just try it if it could work. And could this also clear up after Roaccutane treatment or should that make it even worse, or doesn't it affect the scalp at all? I believe it makes your skin a lot more dry, right? Would that also be for the scalp?

Well that's my rant haha!

Firefox7275
June 25th, 2013, 10:16 AM
What you are asking is medical advice from a largely unqualified audience, you don't even have a diagnosis yet so we can't tell you what prescription might or might not be effective! You don't need to see a dermatologist to diagnose seborrhoeic dermatitis, it's an easy diagnosis that any family doctor can make. A number of conditions look like SD, it's VERY for a layman easy to worsen a skin complaint with self treatment based on a self diagnosis. Isotretinoin can worsen some scalp complaints and improve others, it's truly horrible medication with truly horrible side effects that affect your entire body it doesn't target your face.

If you have acne and a itchy sore scalp complaint that suggests to me systemic inflammation and possibly skin flora imbalance. Consider taking a tough look at your diet and lifestyle, consistently eat a wide variety of anti inflammatory nutrient dense wholefoods, manage stress, daily physical activity as per your government's guidelines. You can adjust both the amount and composition of your sebum with targeted nutrition, as well as helping to balance hormones and calming inappropriate immune responses. Be sure all your skincare and haircare products are pH 4.5 to 5.5 because this will respect the skin's barrier function and protective acid mantle (includes the beneficial flora). Lastly stop scratching, that releases histamine and you can get stuck in the 'itch-scratch cycle': instead use cold compresses. Also wash your hair in cool water, no towel turbans or steaming your hair as heat also encourages histamine release.

ETA have you had oral antibiotics for your acne or another condition in recent months/ years? If so did you take freeze dried probiotics to restore your gut flora? That can also mess with the skin flora.

oktobergoud
June 25th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ask for MEDICAL advice, I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was just wondering if anti-fungal treatment really had an effect, because a lot of people use Monistat on their scalps here. Maybe they noticed their scalp was healthier or less flakey?
Like I said before: I'm seeing a dermatologist anyway so I can always ask her to look at my scalp, I'm not intending to go to her ONLY for my scalp, but more like 'oh and I have scalp problems too, what could it be?' :)

And I'm NOT taking Roaccutane for my scalp, but I was just wondering if it could also clear my scalp (as a positive side effect! It's definitely not the reason I'm going to start the treatment :)) . Also: I don't want to try anything on my scalp just yet, I was just wondering if I should/could try out the Monistat. But I don't intend to try anything out before I have asked my dermatologist about it!

I know Roaccutane is a very, very heavy medicine. However, I've discussed this with my dermatologist and am going to start this treatment.

Thank you for the tips! I do use a towel turban but I'm going to stop using it and see if it works. I know I should stop scratching, I really try too. It also seems like as soon as I've washed my hair, the itching is gone. Maybe it's just a sign I should wash my hair? Maybe I just need to wash my hair every other day? :/

And I did got oral antibiotics for my acne a few months ago! But only for a month and I didn't notice any difference in my body/acne/scalp so I don't think that had an effect. I have this scalp problem ever since I started to grow out my hair, so definitely for 1,5 year or so. It's not unbearable, but annoying sometimes.

Thank you for your reply and the tips :)

Firefox7275
June 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ask for MEDICAL advice, I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was just wondering if anti-fungal treatment really had an effect, because a lot of people use Monistat on their scalps here. Maybe they noticed their scalp was healthier or less flakey?
Like I said before: I'm seeing a dermatologist anyway so I can always ask her to look at my scalp, I'm not intending to go to her ONLY for my scalp, but more like 'oh and I have scalp problems too, what could it be?' :)

And I'm NOT taking Roaccutane for my scalp, but I was just wondering if it could also clear my scalp (as a positive side effect! It's definitely not the reason I'm going to start the treatment :)) . Also: I don't want to try anything on my scalp just yet, I was just wondering if I should/could try out the Monistat. But I don't intend to try anything out before I have asked my dermatologist about it!

I know Roaccutane is a very, very heavy medicine. However, I've discussed this with my dermatologist and am going to start this treatment.

Thank you for the tips! I do use a towel turban but I'm going to stop using it and see if it works. I know I should stop scratching, I really try too. It also seems like as soon as I've washed my hair, the itching is gone. Maybe it's just a sign I should wash my hair? Maybe I just need to wash my hair every other day? :/

And I did got oral antibiotics for my acne a few months ago! But only for a month and I didn't notice any difference in my body/acne/scalp so I don't think that had an effect. I have this scalp problem ever since I started to grow out my hair, so definitely for 1,5 year or so. It's not unbearable, but annoying sometimes.

Thank you for your reply and the tips :)

Sorry but you are asking for medical advice, even if you don't intend to be - I'd be in serious trouble if I addressed this in either of my healthcare roles (pharmacy/ lifestyle)
with a client was both undiagnosed and I hadn't even seen! Nobody can tell you if an anti fungal agent or the Roaccutane will improve or worsen a condition that has not been diagnosed: you may have SD, you may have something with a similar presentation, you may have two concurrent issues (this is not uncommon). Even if you have SD the causative agent is not the malassezia yeast, it's the oleic acid in your sebum and the yeasts 'waste'. I don't understand why you would tell us you have some Monistat in the house if you absolutely will not use it before seeing your dermatologist.

Be aware that acne is an inflammatory condition as much as it is an infective one. Dermatology tends to focus on the bacteria and/ or the sebum production and/ or local inflammation wich obviously makes sense, they don't always focus on the defective skin barrier, systemic inflammation or dietetics. Sometimes a holistic approach (which to me includes both mainstream medicine and self care) is highly effective. Don't be too quick to mentally separate your two skin complaints, there is often a common root.

So did you take a course of freeze dried probiotics (acidophilus/ bifidobacteria) after the antibiotics? Not having an effect on your acne does not mean no effect on your gut flora or skin flora, they are different bacteria in different locations. Anti fungals are not active on all fungi/ yeasts, antibiotics are not active on all bacteria, there is specificity.

Honestly use cold compresses for the itching, perhaps get some squishy gel packs and store them in the refrigerator. By all means wash your scalp more often, just use a super gentle pH appropriate product (note that 'pH balanced' is often a broader range than I have given, can mean around 7 which is too high). Aloe vera inner leaf gel is proven anti inflammatory, collagen inducing and healing, it's a nice ingredient in scalp care products. Stretching washes is not the be all and end all, how damaging it is depends on products, techniques and how porous your hair is. By contrast a healthy scalp is key to healthy hair.

alexis917
June 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Maybe you just have extreme dandruff?
Accutane literally poisons your sebum glands...your scalp might just be as dehydrated as your skin.
My friend had been on Accutane (something I narrowly avoided) and used a special dandruff shampoo.
She also used a lot of Aquaphor, which is my secret weapon for chapped lips.
Hopefully, your dermatologist will be more helpful than me! Good luck!

Boudicca
June 25th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Hi!

I'm not sure if I have Seborrhoeic dermatitis (what a word, pfew!), but I have something that looks a lot like it. My friend has it too and said it was worse when she had long hair, and the longer my hair gets, the itchier my scalp gets. And more flakes! I'm seeing a dermatologist for my acne and will ask her about my scalp the next time I visit her, meanwhile I've been Googling and read that a 'anti-fungus' cream could do the trick. So I was wondering: would something like Monistat help for this? Would it make my scalp a little bit better, or wouldn't it work at all?? I'm also going to start taking Roaccutane, so my overly oily skin will clear up. I do hope that will also solve the problem with my scalp, or at least a little. I feel my scalp is getting too oily too fast, which results in flakes and itchy, oily scalp.

Thing is, as soon as it's starting to get itchy it gets so annoying! When I scratch, my nails are covered with white, greasy flakey substance. It also really HURTS at some spots, like my scalp is on fire! The reason I wash it more often than I should (around every 3 days and then it's stretched because I can't take the itching anymore!) is basically because I feel like it itches less when my scalp is clean. I don't use sulfates, don't use oil or conditioner or anything on my scalp, tried tea tree oil mixed in my shampoo, clarifying, I only use henna etc. etc.

I don't really want to try everything out just yet, since I'm seeing a dermatologist anyway so might be better to ask her opinion of course. But it will still take about 2 months before I see her again! So, long story short, I was wondering if Monistat COULD make my scalp a little better, if that would technically be possible? I still have some left so I might just try it if it could work. And could this also clear up after Roaccutane treatment or should that make it even worse, or doesn't it affect the scalp at all? I believe it makes your skin a lot more dry, right? Would that also be for the scalp?

Well that's my rant haha!

Hi. Not a doctor, but do have seb derm, and was on Roaccutane.

Background: My sebderm is on my face (t-zone), and only affects my scalp very slightly. I was put on Roaccutane to treat sudden, stubborn acne.

The sebderm on my face cleared up when I was on Roaccutane. By my max dose, it was gone and my skin was pretty much flawless. However, it did return after I stopped taking the medication. I was so relieved that my skin was actually producing sebum again that I didn't care.

My scalp is another story. My hair was like straw while I was on accutane, and my scalp was painful and dry. The only thing that gave me some relief was applying jojoba oil to it - which was a godsend.

oktobergoud
June 25th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Sorry but you are asking for medical advice, even if you don't intend to be - I'd be in serious trouble if I addressed this in either of my healthcare roles (pharmacy/ lifestyle)
with a client was both undiagnosed and I hadn't even seen! Nobody can tell you if an anti fungal agent or the Roaccutane will improve or worsen a condition that has not been diagnosed: you may have SD, you may have something with a similar presentation, you may have two concurrent issues (this is not uncommon). Even if you have SD the causative agent is not the malassezia yeast, it's the oleic acid in your sebum and the yeasts 'waste'. I don't understand why you would tell us you have some Monistat in the house if you absolutely will not use it before seeing your dermatologist.

Be aware that acne is an inflammatory condition as much as it is an infective one. Dermatology tends to focus on the bacteria and/ or the sebum production and/ or local inflammation wich obviously makes sense, they don't always focus on the defective skin barrier, systemic inflammation or dietetics. Sometimes a holistic approach (which to me includes both mainstream medicine and self care) is highly effective. Don't be too quick to mentally separate your two skin complaints, there is often a common root.

So did you take a course of freeze dried probiotics (acidophilus/ bifidobacteria) after the antibiotics? Not having an effect on your acne does not mean no effect on your gut flora or skin flora, they are different bacteria in different locations. Anti fungals are not active on all fungi/ yeasts, antibiotics are not active on all bacteria, there is specificity.

Honestly use cold compresses for the itching, perhaps get some squishy gel packs and store them in the refrigerator. By all means wash your scalp more often, just use a super gentle pH appropriate product (note that 'pH balanced' is often a broader range than I have given, can mean around 7 which is too high). Aloe vera inner leaf gel is proven anti inflammatory, collagen inducing and healing, it's a nice ingredient in scalp care products. Stretching washes is not the be all and end all, how damaging it is depends on products, techniques and how porous your hair is. By contrast a healthy scalp is key to healthy hair.

Okay, well, let me rephrase my question then! :) "Have people who had problems with their scalp and used Monistat noticed a difference?". Oh and for your question: I have Monistat in home because of all the other people here on the board: to try to see if it increases growth! However, I was too lazy for it (and thought it was too smelly) so I didn't continue using it. I don't remember how my scalp reacted to it, so I don't know of it worked for me or not. I did not buy Monistat just to 'cure' my scalp, it's just laying around there still. I wouldn't repurchase it for my scalp in this case, but was wondering if I could try it out since I have it here anyway.

About the acne: I know about all that. I have suffered from it for 13 years now and thought about Roaccutane for a long time before finally deciding to try it. For me nothing else worked, I tried A LOT, trust me.

And no, I did not take freeze dried probiotics, I don't even know what that is!! :P However, like I stated before: my problems have been exactly the same for about 1,5 year or maybe even longer. I just can't see how it matters that I take these probiotics if nothing has changed in my body? As in, literally nothing? Also the antibiotics I got were very 'light', with hardly any side effects (not sure if that makes a difference, but my doctor told me that!). My scalp has been like this before the antibiotics as well, not sure if that is important to the probiotics question?

I'll look into the PH shampoo, thanks! How can I find out how a shampoo is 'PH balanced'? Is there a list online for it, is the package supposed to say it, do you have any recommendations? I'll definitely wash my hair often, it's just the problem that my hair is fine and porous, so I'd rather stretch it. But I agree, a healthy scalp is most important! Maybe the itching/flakes/grease is just a sign that it needs to be washed?

Thank you for the tips and your reply! I'll look into those shampoos :)

Maybe you just have extreme dandruff?
Accutane literally poisons your sebum glands...your scalp might just be as dehydrated as your skin.
My friend had been on Accutane (something I narrowly avoided) and used a special dandruff shampoo.
She also used a lot of Aquaphor, which is my secret weapon for chapped lips.
Hopefully, your dermatologist will be more helpful than me! Good luck!

I don't think so? It's not too flakey, I think it only comes 'loose' when I scratch! I'm not taking Accutane yet, so my scalp isn't dehydrated yet, it's actually overly oily :(

Thank you! I'll look into Aquaphor, thanks for the tip :)