PDA

View Full Version : "Running Errands in 95 degree heat" hair

Scarlet_Heart
June 25th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'm taking my son out shopping and running errands with me today. Lucky for him, he doesn't have much hair (he's 6 months old). It's really hot today and I wanted to keep my hair off my neck. I am not quite at BSL at the moment. I had a major postpartum shed/thinning and had to cut it back (and hubby cut it too short). I digress. So I can't do most of the buns I always used to do when my hair was at waist.

But I was messing around with my favorite hair fork minis and came up with this. I'm sure I'm not the first, but this is a great style for medium length hair for hot days.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/eelaynuh/971498_10104642131717714_536960897_n_zpsb07c7f21.j pg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/eelaynuh/media/971498_10104642131717714_536960897_n_zpsb07c7f21.j pg.html)

How to:

It's really simple.

1. Do a french braid and loop the ends instead of pulling them all the way through the elastic.
2. starting from the loop, roll the braid underneath itself.
3. When you get to the base of the braid, tuck it tightly underneath.
4. Pin with whatever you've got: hair forks, spin pins, u-pins, etc.

Of course, when my hair was at waist, I would just coil the braid into a bun and use a hair stick or two (or spin pins) to keep it in place. But it isn't long enough for me to do that right now. So until it grows out again, this is great for the hot days. HTH :flower: Stay cool, friends!

arelrios
June 25th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I most say I love your hair color Scarlet... I am wearing my hair similar to yours (really hot in here as well: 90+ degrees) Instead of forks, I used a hair tie with a bit of bling ;)
Happy growing... ( I also love your sig pic)

shutterpillar
June 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Beautiful! I do something very similar, except after I roll the french braid under itself, I pin it with spin pins. :) Works great in the heat!

Kaelee
June 25th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Oh, I'll have to try the looped end! That might be where I was having trouble with this style.

Scarlet_Heart
June 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I most say I love your hair color Scarlet... I am wearing my hair similar to yours (really hot in here as well: 90+ degrees) Instead of forks, I used a hair tie with a bit of bling ;)
Happy growing... ( I also love your sig pic)

Thank you! I'm growing out some henna.

Oh, I'll have to try the looped end! That might be where I was having trouble with this style.

I hope it helps, Kaelee!

melusine963
June 25th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Looks like the tucked faux french braid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88390), except done with a real french braid. It looks great!

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Your hair style is cute.

spirals
June 25th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'm at waist, and this inspires me to do double french braids ending in a bun. I'm getting bored with my styles, and in the heat it just needs to be up all the time. Regular buns pull and hurt (hair is heavy). Thank you for this post.

juliaxena
June 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I actually found this style to be hot last year when first wearing it in summer. Too much hair clumped together not high enough above my neck. But I am glad if it works for others.

browneyedsusan
June 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for sharing! I'll try it tomorrow! :)

leslissocool
June 25th, 2013, 04:09 PM
That looks really cute! I say, you're rocking the hot weather :cool:.

browneyedsusan
June 26th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I think my hair is a little too short--it's falling out. :justy: --runs off to modify hairdo and try again.--

juliaxena
June 26th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Those GTS micros are cute too!

Scarlet_Heart
June 26th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Those GTS micros are cute too!

Thank you! :toast: But guess what! They're OruAka! Ordered them custom and they were very reasonable. I love GTS, but they are a little too rich for my blood. I just have one fork from them that my husband bought me as a gift. But these are a favorite of mine.

browneyedsusan, do you have layers? Try wetting your hair down a little first and then make it really TIGHT!! I use an old body spray mister and I mix water with just a teeny little bit of jojoba oil (and tea rose for fragrance). So I spray it up good, comb it through, and then I do the french braid. It comes out neater.

browneyedsusan
June 26th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks, ScarletHeart!
I don't have regular layers, rather a severely overgrown pixie! I can use all the help I can get because I have never had my hair this long, and don't have any experience to draw on. (Today, I ended up with a piranda frenchbraided in, but got a headache after 5 or 6 hours and took it out.) I will give it this rolled, tucked frenchbraid another try, with your suggestions. :)