PDA

View Full Version : What are ways to add protein?

lind01
August 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Hi everybody. I just read Krin's Diagnostic Tips and have determined that my hair needs more protein. The only thing that comes to mind is using an egg mask in my hair or the protein packs you can buy at Sally's. What kinds of things do you use to add protein?

Flaxen
August 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
The whole protein molecules in eggs really aren't that great as a protein treatment. You need them (the molecules) to be broken down to be able to penetrate the hair. Look for products that have some kind of "hydrolysed" protein high on the list. Commercial protein products are often called reconstructors, and a good one at Sally's is the Ion line. For a natural protein treatment, you can try 1 Tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce in 1 cup of water. Pour this over your hair after shampooing, and rinse at the end of your shower. Always follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment. :smile:

Golden21
August 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I found a shampoo and conditioner at my dollar store that is called Protein and Balsam. My hair absolutely loves it, it is so soft and silky.

I do think you need to be careful for buildup if you use it though.

jera
August 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I work out a lot lot so I eat a lot of protein rich foods like eggs and protein bars or soy protein. If you choose to use eggs on your hair, use the yolks. They're the most protein rich. ;)

Kirin
August 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM
The best way is to do protein treatments, such as protein packs, as daily protein use though beneficial at first, can start to dry out the hair.

Food protein sources usually don't work well as their molecules are too large to penetrate the hair. However, you dont need anything expensive.... a good protein conditioner used as a deep treatment will work. Look for words like "reconstructing" "revitalizing" and "repairing".

If at any time using treatments your hair starts to become strawlike, gritty dry at the ends, limp and velcro like clumping sticking together, step back from the protein and give more moisture.

Elainehali
August 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I put some hask placenta "no rinse instant hair repair treatment" in a mister bottle with water.

I spray it on dry hair and...hope for the best!

lind01
September 2nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks everyone. Flaxen, I did get a protein pack from the Ion line and really liked it.

Flaxen
September 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Flaxen, I did get a protein pack from the Ion line and really liked it.
Oh, good! Thanks for the update. :grin: