PDA

View Full Version : Wavy/curly, parting hair and frizz?

daredevil14
June 24th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Is there a link between some kind of hair "parting" and frizz? I've parted my hair in the middle since almost 2 years and it is still like that, my strands and ends are s-curly, however starting from the middle, not from the root! (Roots are thick waves). If I closely examine my root hair, I feel like it's wavy strands that are trying to curl, I also have a frizzy area which, whatever I've done and will do, nothing will help it other than braiding it with coconut hair oil but it's naturally frizzy or damaged (why not growing up healthy again then?).

So anyway, I am going to "readjust" the parting of my hair by combing backwards (natural way?) while fully wet in the shower, may this show more curls and tame the frizz? Is their like a certain science behind this?

Firefox7275
June 24th, 2013, 04:18 AM
There is a link between using a comb and frizz yes because combing separates the strands and breaks up the curls, I am sure you have been told about the Curly Girl method before? CG has you combing only to detangle and only when in the shower with dripping hair slathered in conditioner, not at any other time. Have you read up on the method on Naturallycurly.com yet?

Frizzy and damaged are not synonymous: are you seeing mid shaft breaks, white dots, split ends? If your hair is damaged work out what is damaging it - is it rubbing on your pillow or car headrest for example? If your hair is frizzy work out what you are doing to dry it out and what to moisturise it. Oils are beneficial but they do not add water (= moisture) so cannot be said to moisturise and do not condition hair when used alone.

daredevil14
June 24th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Yes! I've been CO-washing for a long white now. My hair has always been the same, well-defined s-curls among frizz! I am actually sleeping on a satin pillow case also, it's better now but the thing is, even when fully wet and moisturized, the frizz is still a mess and if I closely examine, they are growing from the root already "thick/frizzy", also curly hair is never the same after each shower, if I am lucky, I get well defined curls with almost some tiny frizz, if I am not, I will end up with bad ends and lots of frizz!

cranberrymoonz
June 24th, 2013, 04:40 AM
I don't believe the parting of your hair has anything to do with the amount of frizz or the damage in your hair. I second checking the curly girl method! Make sure to read some topics around the forums to learn what damaged hair looks like and what actually damages hair. It seems especially unlikely that your hair would grow back damaged. You probably misinterpret frizz for damage, or you actually damage your hair. You may feel like you don't do anything damaging to your hair, but even the simplest things like regular shampooing, rubbing with a towel or regular tight ponytails can be very damaging, especially if your hair is naturally fragile.

I'd like to know a bit more about your hair care routine before recommending anything else:)

Firefox7275
June 24th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Are you doing the full Curly Girl method? CO-washing and a satin pillowcase is great but the whole method works as a system. If you have frizz when dripping wet and 'moisturised' I'd suggest you have not chosen the right product/ ingredients for your hair properties/ dew points or are simply not using enough product. Most conditioners and gels will 'glue' dipping wet strands into clumps if you use enough, might look or feel gross but they will. They may struggle if you continue to break up the curls with a comb. I picked up the CG method bit by bit and tried untold cheats, although I could see improvements it didn't work well for me until I stopped cheating and started researching ingredients.

A common mistake I see is choosing a product or routine that is not a rounded or balanced at all, it's occlusive (sealant) or humectant (attracts water) or detangling only. Moisture = water so the products must be capable of adding, increasing or holding water (balance of occlusives, humectants and/ or proteins), true conditioners also help the cuticle lay flat and patch damaged areas (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants, pH 4.5 to 5.5).

Looking different from day to day is partly a feature of curly hair, partly a function of the humidity/ dew points, partly down to you learning what techniques and amounts works for your hair. Humectants will moisturise hair in certain dew points, give you frizz in others.

daredevil14
June 24th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I don't believe the parting of your hair has anything to do with the amount of frizz or the damage in your hair. I second checking the curly girl method! Make sure to read some topics around the forums to learn what damaged hair looks like and what actually damages hair. It seems especially unlikely that your hair would grow back damaged. You probably misinterpret frizz for damage, or you actually damage your hair. You may feel like you don't do anything damaging to your hair, but even the simplest things like regular shampooing, rubbing with a towel or regular tight ponytails can be very damaging, especially if your hair is naturally fragile.

I'd like to know a bit more about your hair care routine before recommending anything else:)

Well I've been reading about this for 2 years now, I followed all the tips in order not to damage my hair or at least minimize it: wet-combing at shower, never use any heat products, air dry, no chemicals, no cones, no sulfates, no towels, etc...

I may add that I had 3 chemical straightnings when I first started to grow my hair in the 1st and early 2nd year (now I will be 3 years next month), this "frizz or damage" started to show and grow last year, besides, if it's really damaged, then it would have grown up right? I mean if these chemical straightnings really damaged my hair (which I doubt), then my ends would not be healthy! (They mostly are!)

I do put my hair in a ponytail, it was tight but now generally a loose one for work, but again, if I wear it up for 3 or 4 days down, then shower and condition, frizz (or damange) will always remain!

Are you doing the full Curly Girl method? CO-washing and a satin pillowcase is great but the whole method works as a system. If you have frizz when dripping wet and 'moisturised' I'd suggest you have not chosen the right product/ ingredients for your hair properties/ dew points or are simply not using enough product. Most conditioners and gels will 'glue' dipping wet strands into clumps if you use enough, might look or feel gross but they will. They may struggle if you continue to break up the curls with a comb. I picked up the CG method bit by bit and tried untold cheats, although I could see improvements it didn't work well for me until I stopped cheating and started researching ingredients.

A common mistake I see is choosing a product or routine that is not a rounded or balanced at all, it's occlusive (sealant) or humectant (attracts water) or detangling only. Moisture = water so the products must be capable of adding, increasing or holding water (balance of occlusives, humectants and/ or proteins), true conditioners also help the cuticle lay flat and patch damaged areas (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants, pH 4.5 to 5.5).

Looking different from day to day is partly a feature of curly hair, partly a function of the humidity/ dew points, partly down to you learning what techniques and amounts works for your hair. Humectants will moisturise hair in certain dew points, give you frizz in others.

I moved actually from a mediterranean climate to a desert-tropical one where it's hot and humid, I continued co-washing here but I couldn't find products without cones, so I used cones and sulfates for a while but now found ONE (yes, ONE masque/deep conditioner) without any cone! So yes, I think that I am not using enough products or even the right products but I don't have an option! This is why I found coconut oil to be helpful since it's natural and doesn't buildup. I'd really love to add more products but I can't find any here that are cone-free! Also, I remember that my hair was "always" like this, it only became curly after almost 2 years, so why am I feeling upset? Maybe because I am noticing it more these days.

Here's an old topic for me with some "healthy" and "frizzy" pics inside:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112406

Suze2012
June 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Does the one product that you use contain any aloe or glycerin?

If it does and as you say you live in a hot humid environment either of those two things could be pulling too much moisture into your hair.
Mine doesn't agree with either aloe nor glycerin on a humid day so I avoid them in the summer as well as cones. If I do use them and it is humid my hair will get frizzy and feel very dry - even though it's full of moisture.
Both aloe and glycerin are humectants and soak up moisture.

You could try the method in the below video perhaps?
It's just a gentle mix of baking soda for washing and apple cider vinegar for conditioning and at least the products are easily obtainable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObaleW6yzOk

daredevil14
June 24th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Glycerin, most likely yes! Now even if I spend most of my time indoor with air-conditioning that is almost everywhere? I mean, I let my hair air dry in a "cool" conditioned indoor places. Does this have an effect? I have to go out and walk outside of course so does such an exposure pull moisture?

Suze2012
June 24th, 2013, 06:52 AM
If you live in a humid area there will be more moisture in the air..plus when you wash your hair and have used glycerin it will soak up moisture from a shower or bath too.

My hair is good with glycerin in our UK winter - I actually spray it on as it gives lots of shine and lovely curls but in winter I avoid glycerin completely.
Dew points and relative humidity are pretty tough to figure out though so I just go by experience and if the outside temperature is above about 16 degrees centigrade mine will tend to frizz up with glycerin on it.

Firefox7275
June 24th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Well I've been reading about this for 2 years now, I followed all the tips in order not to damage my hair or at least minimize it: wet-combing at shower, never use any heat products, air dry, no chemicals, no cones, no sulfates, no towels, etc...

I may add that I had 3 chemical straightnings when I first started to grow my hair in the 1st and early 2nd year (now I will be 3 years next month), this "frizz or damage" started to show and grow last year, besides, if it's really damaged, then it would have grown up right? I mean if these chemical straightnings really damaged my hair (which I doubt), then my ends would not be healthy! (They mostly are!)

I do put my hair in a ponytail, it was tight but now generally a loose one for work, but again, if I wear it up for 3 or 4 days down, then shower and condition, frizz (or damange) will always remain!

I moved actually from a mediterranean climate to a desert-tropical one where it's hot and humid, I continued co-washing here but I couldn't find products without cones, so I used cones and sulfates for a while but now found ONE (yes, ONE masque/deep conditioner) without any cone! So yes, I think that I am not using enough products or even the right products but I don't have an option! This is why I found coconut oil to be helpful since it's natural and doesn't buildup. I'd really love to add more products but I can't find any here that are cone-free! Also, I remember that my hair was "always" like this, it only became curly after almost 2 years, so why am I feeling upset? Maybe because I am noticing it more these days.

Here's an old topic for me with some "healthy" and "frizzy" pics inside:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112406

Coconut oil is great for reducing porosity and increasing elasticity - and I am a massive fan - just understand that alone it is not a moisturiser or conditioner (tho it could be an ingredient of one). I honestly think the best option you have is to ship a batch of products in, either purchase them on the NaturallyCurly swap boards, US Curl Mart or UK Curly Emporium depending which will ship to where you are. Or you could purchase a bulk 'conditioner base' and get into a little DIY tinkering.

Ponytails are definitely damaging, they can cause mid shaft splits and pull hair out at the roots especially from the crown and hairline. I just read today in the book 'Science of Black Hair' that after a hair is pulled from the roots it may take four months to start regrowing. I definitely have some small clumps at the back of my head that are shorter, I strongly suspect these are from when I wore a ponytail (not even that tight, no snag elastics) 24/7, but I have been growing out that damage for over two years. Hairs that are shorter are more at risk of sticking out or frizzing.

Also the chemical straightening can contribute to frizz, it damages not only the protein structure making the hair more porous but also the lipid cuticle glue which helps make hair water resistant. I wonder if you are confusing 'normal' damage that you might only see under a microscope but feel the symptoms of with 'severe' damage whereby hair is obviously fried and snapping off. I know what you are saying in the other thread about guys who try to grow their hair but it looks terrible, my pet hate is badly damaged hair on either gender which yours absolutely is not it just looks a little dry which is partly down to climate and partly being a curly.

Coconut oil is beneficial for damaged or porous hair, also ceramides, 18-MEA (I have never found this in a CG product tho), panthenol, hydrolysed protein in moderation. I think you have gorgeous curls, does look like you need more conditioner to weigh them down a little or reduce frizz. The others make a good point about glycerin if you are going from humid outside to dry air conditioned inside, you should be fine with some aloe vera if you are using a good styler/ sealer. One option is to make a DIY Ecostyler custard (with any plain gel and your coconut oil) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5s1eO4sWo

cranberrymoonz
June 24th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Your hair is beautiful! Are those pics before or after chemical straightening? I don't see any damage, just a little second day frizz. Nothing to worry about. Just wetting your hair on the second day might help. I'll leave product recommendations to the curlies;)

daredevil14
June 25th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Thank you! This is actually way after (2 years period) the straightenings which I had in the past which I really regret doing them! I had no culture of hair at all, I was growing my hair from 0 and so I said that straightenings will make it more manageable, I've approximately done all of them in my 1st year of growing my hair. In the 2nd year, I discovered what does combing and conditioners mean, my hair also started to become curly (?), it was simply thick/wavy. During my 3rd year, I discovered CO-washing, natural conditioners, DIY stuff, cone/sulfate-free, coconut oil, being completely natural, etc...

Things have now indeed changed when compared to my 1st year, My hair used to look awful! :D