PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a Sleep Bonnet

Kelli Kat
June 22nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Normally I wear my hair down when I go to bed. If I try to sleep with a braid or with it up in a scrunchie I wake up with a headache, but I'm always tossing around trying to get it out of my when I trying to sleep, so I bought a bonnet today. I'm really hoping it doesn't give me a headache. Anyone else wear a bonnet to sleep in. How do you like it?

ladyfey
June 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM
I LOVE mine, it has massively improved the condition of my hair, much fewer tangles. Mine just ties with a string of lace that is encased in the silk, so it isn't tight at all and doesn't cause me any discomfort. I hope you like yours as much!

bradlea
June 22nd, 2013, 03:10 PM
Mine works when I keep it on throughout the night, but unfortunately I tend to remove anything I am wearing in my sleep, hahah. Bonnets, hair ties, ear plugs, clothing, doesn't matter. I'm hoping that with persistence my sleepy self will learn to leave it alone. It's never given me a headache, but mine is elasticized and it has left an indentation on my forehead before, which is annoying but it's usually disappeared before I leave my house.

Ladyfey, where did you get yours? I think I would like the string much better than elastic!

jeanniet
June 22nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
I have several, all silk, beanies and longer caps. I've been wearing one at night for about four years now, so it would feel strange to not have anything on my head at night. One disadvantage, I think, it that they can get warm in summer. I live in an area where it's pretty cool at night all year round, but if you were somewhere with night temps in the high 60s or above, a cap might be uncomfortable for you--that is, unless you like being warm when you sleep!

ladyfey
June 22nd, 2013, 03:45 PM
Mine works when I keep it on throughout the night, but unfortunately I tend to remove anything I am wearing in my sleep, hahah. Bonnets, hair ties, ear plugs, clothing, doesn't matter. I'm hoping that with persistence my sleepy self will learn to leave it alone. It's never given me a headache, but mine is elasticized and it has left an indentation on my forehead before, which is annoying but it's usually disappeared before I leave my house.

Ladyfey, where did you get yours? I think I would like the string much better than elastic!

I got mine at blensblend.com Very happy with it and she sent a conditioner sample as well.

battles
June 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
I've been wearing one at night for a month or so. I love it! The condition of my hair has improved quite a bit over that time, since my hair isn't completely tangled when I wake up.

Wildcat Diva
June 22nd, 2013, 05:19 PM
I wear a satin one from Sally's. I usually do a side braid underneath, or a cinnabun on the very top of my head held with spin pins. I like it fine, but I do get a bit paranoid wondering if my nape hairs will be damaged by it.

Vanilla
June 22nd, 2013, 05:52 PM
I wear a sleep bonnet too. I notice that my forehead hairs are getting caught underneath it and they are breaking. The condition of the rest of my hair has improved a lot since wearing it, so I'll deal with that small amount of breakage.

Kelli Kat
June 22nd, 2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks Everyone for the responses

Mine is elasticized.

I have several, all silk, beanies and longer caps. I've been wearing one at night for about four years now, so it would feel strange to not have anything on my head at night. One disadvantage, I think, it that they can get warm in summer. I live in an area where it's pretty cool at night all year round, but if you were somewhere with night temps in the high 60s or above, a cap might be uncomfortable for you--that is, unless you like being warm when you sleep!

Its still in the 90s here up until around midnight or so and then drops to around 80. But with a/c hopefully it won't be too bad.

I wear a satin one from Sally's. I usually do a side braid underneath, or a cinnabun on the very top of my head held with spin pins. I like it fine, but I do get a bit paranoid wondering if my nape hairs will be damaged by it.

That's where I just bought mine. Its a satin one as well.

shutterpillar
June 22nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
I sleep with one, and I love it. :) The hair on the left side of my head is a bit thinner from sleeping with my hair loose (it gets caught under my shoulder and rubbed while I move) so it is important that I wear a sleep bonnet. I have one that ties underneath, and I have one with elastic. I think I prefer the one with elastic because it stays on the head better. The only down side is that it leaves a strange mark on my forehead in the morning.

jeanniet
June 22nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
I got mine at blensblend.com Very happy with it and she sent a conditioner sample as well.

I have two from blensblend and am also very happy with them. The elastic can be pretty loose and I don't have a problem with losing them at night. What i do with mine is put a loose fold-over elastic tie (one I've made, not the tighter ones in the stores) around the outside to hold my curls in a very loose ponytail. Ideally, curlies are supposed to pineapple at night (put the hair in a pony on top of the head), but I can't seem to do that successfully, so I do the tie around the outside instead.

patienceneeded
June 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM
I have a cheap bonnet from Sally's. I'm a bit ambivalent about it. It stays on fine, it's only fallen off once. I am a bit worried that the elastic will cause breakage along the hairline and nape. I don't wear it very often, it kind of annoys me. I think a nicer cap that doesn't have just cheap elastic around the bonnet might be better. My MIL is going to use my cheap bonnet to make a pattern for a longer sleep sack (like the myprettyantoinette or bensblends extra long version). Hopefully she'll be able to make me a nice one that I actually like to wear. We're going up for the 4th, so perhaps we can get a pattern figured out then.

jacqueline101
June 23rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
I have two and a mesh one for hot weather.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2013, 09:07 AM
I mentioned it in another thread already, but mentioning it here seems more appropriate! :oops:

I just discovered this Etsy shop for sleep caps, called Silky Cocoon:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilkyCocoon

dwell_in_safety
June 23rd, 2013, 12:50 PM
I wear a black satin cap purchased at Sally's. I bought it back in March and since then have only had it slip off my head once, that I can remember. Not to worry because I do also use a satin pillowcase, but I like the extra protection the cap gives and my hair is always in amazing condition. The cap also lets me alternate between twin braids, side braids, etc tied off very gently with the tiny scrunched marketed for toddler girls, that I don't have to bun. Previously I had been braiding my hair and bunning it with spin pins on top of my head and I do think that wasn't good for my hair at all as it frequently pulled on individual hairs.

Bagginslover
June 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
I wear one most nights. Bought 4 online, and I rotate them (only run a wash once a week, so need a few ;) ). The elastic on mine is beginning to loosen, they were only cheap so I'm not upset, I'll just change it when it goes completely, and perhaps add some under-chin ribbon ties to combat me losing them from time to time during the night ;)

Kelli Kat
June 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
I wear a black satin cap purchased at Sally's. I bought it back in March and since then have only had it slip off my head once, that I can remember. Not to worry because I do also use a satin pillowcase, but I like the extra protection the cap gives and my hair is always in amazing condition. The cap also lets me alternate between twin braids, side braids, etc tied off very gently with the tiny scrunched marketed for toddler girls, that I don't have to bun. Previously I had been braiding my hair and bunning it with spin pins on top of my head and I do think that wasn't good for my hair at all as it frequently pulled on individual hairs.

That's the kind I bought. A black satin one from Sally's. It lasted all of about five minutes last night. I spent more time putting it back on I think then I did sleeping. I'll keep looking around and see if I can find something that works better for me. Because I really like the idea of wearing one, I hate my getting caught behind me all night being pulled.

StephanieP3
July 1st, 2013, 02:19 PM
I recently got one from CVS (I work there) and it is in the hair accessory section, mixed with the wraps and stuff all with black men and women on the front. I got one treated with vitamin E and olive oil. I am a massive toss and turner, and it stays on my head perfectly! And doesn't give me a headache. (as my hair gets longer more and more things give me one!)

Anje
July 1st, 2013, 04:06 PM
I love mine to death, no matter how awful it might make me look. I can (and have) left the house without combing my hair in the morning because it hasn't acquired any tangles overnight when I wear a bonnet.

I firmly maintain that there is a learning curve to wearing one, though. It took me maybe 2 weeks of wearing it every night before I managed to stop pulling it off and flinging it across the room in my sleep. XD So if you wake up to find it 15 feet away in the morning, don't give up.

clioariane
July 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I've been reading about this on other forums and would like to try it to see if it really decreases breakage!

Konstifik
July 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I am very headache-prone as well, but I've found that my bonnet doesn't cause any headache at all! So I love it :)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 5th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I love mine to bits! Now just have to introduce it to my SO:couch:

Kelli Kat
July 7th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I bought a different one yesterday. This one is made out of terry cloth. Yeah, it didn't last as long as the satin one did. Its back to the drawing board.

Keepitgrowing31
July 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Hi,

I always sleep with a silk sleep cap. I like mine very much. It is as if I am wearing nothing on my head at all. I bought mine from www.blensblend.com . Great sleep caps and they come in all sizes.

Natalia
July 8th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I want to but I shower before bed and my hair takes long enough to dry. I keep saying im goign to order one lol

Scarlet_Celt
July 8th, 2013, 04:16 AM
I just ordered one! I've been meaning to order one for ages, so I'm glad I finally did! I'm hoping it will reduce overnight tangling.