PDA

View Full Version : I went in for a HUGE cut.

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 12:24 AM
And was told 'no.'

At first, I was planning to go for six inches. 1) to get rid of damage that was centralized in the 2nd inch from the bottom. (As of earlier I had 4 inches of layers I wanted to cut off. This two inch from the bottom was the longest layer not trimmed in four years. Its also around where I tie off my braids.) 2) to get a blunt hemline. 3) I swore I had a 'fraying' hemline.

J flat out looked at me like I was crazy and told me she was *not* going to cut off six inches today. "If I do, you'll go home and cry."

I saw her on a whim about three months ago because my usual girl was booked. J, unlike V, never thought I was 'insane' for wanting long hair nor did I what I asked to simply 'amuse me'. The last trim I had in December, I caught V rolling her eyes at me when I said I wasn't done growing. While I adore V and her amazing skills, I noticed she did a lot of the eye-rolling and lip biting whenever I mentioned my goals. She cut off the inch if I asked but if I said 'cut off six inches' she'd gladly go for it. No questions asked.

No, not J. J gets me. Gets my passion. RESPECTS my passion.

When I saw her for the first time, I was having a bad reaction to cones and my attempt to fix it. She understood I was concerned about the shampoos we carry, their high sulfate content and the fact that I didn't want to have horrible itching/flaking because of them. She could see that my scalp was already angry at me. She also noticed my natural wave pattern and decided to treat my hair like a curly haired gal. She painstakingly detangled my hair with a *wide tooth comb* (something V refused to do. She'd hold my hair up and kind of tug the knots out. I can't say she ever ripped it through but its obvious she wasn't used to handling long hair.) She then used her denman brush to keep tension while she flat ironed it (after putting heat protectant on) then went over with a smaller comb while she trimmed. And while she trimmed, she had me stand up, hold onto the chair and she got onto her *knees* to make sure everything was straight. She then went over the end with clippers fro a precise blunt line.

Girl. Got. Skill.

Anyhow, today was my annual "Big Cut". I always cut my hair on the summer solstice. (yes, I follow the Moon Method, since childhood. Partly 'cause Dad's a farmer and as an adult, I'm a Pagan. It goes hand in hand.) So, yeah, I was ready for six inches.

This visit went better than the last.

She washed my hair after having gone through our selection of shampoos and pointing out we had an option for me. (Hypo allergenic, low sulfate poo. It was low in fragrance too.) I got the BEST scalp massage. As usual, I conked out at the bowl.

She then detangled with her wide tooth comb, and because of my waves, she blew my hair (on low, no less!) straight to, again, ensure the straightest hemline. She flat ironed for precision. (Yup, heat protectant as well. I don't mind using hot tools at the salon. I don't use them at home except once or twice during the winter and I figure it won't make a difference.) Again, she had me stand up. Again, she got onto her knees to make sure the line went straight.

I felt bad for her being on her knees part, but we're about the same height and she wanted the line to be parallel to the floor.

Before she even started cutting, she decided to inspect my ends. She agreed to the damage, but called me insane to think I had thinning ends. She explained part of the illusion was because the last four inches of my hair not only have layers, but they're *old* layers that have not been trimmed in years AND she can tell this section of hair was thinned with thinning shears. Now that I have considerable length, on top of the fact that I have a vibrant red dip dye, there's an illusion to what I call 'damaged, thin ends.) The untrimmed layers are fragile because of the bleach and since I often tie around this area I had mechanical damage. It was minimal, J explained, but because the section of hair had not been trimmed in ages, she was willing to concede two inches had to go. Everything above that was healthy.

She'd cut six inches if I insisted, but she knew for a fact I'd go home, regret it, and cry.

I had to agree I would.

Two inches later, I feel bald. It felt like a huge weight got lifted and I keep reaching to my tailbone to feel my ends and they're gone. I paw around and find the end at the small of my back. It is *so* weird and I have to remind myself this is still long. The longest its been since middle school and the *healthiest* its been since...like..ever.

So, I'm glad I met such a passionate, conscientious, *respectful* and thoughtful stylist... on an accident, no less. While I may not see her very often since I'm still actively growing, I want to get her as many referrals as I can so she doesn't go anywhere. I loved V's work and her ethics but J... J is one of those 'one in a million' stylists that simply 'gets it'. And its not just because she understands the LHC mindset but because she gets *everyone*s mind set. Seriously, this girl has got mad skill. I've seen her curly haired cuts. Her men's cuts. Her elder ladies cuts. Everyone who sits in her chair gets treated like they matter. Because y'know what? They do.

:happydance:

I found my gem.

ps: I'll be posting pictures once I get the camera charged up. :D

akilina
June 22nd, 2013, 12:34 AM
Thank you for sharing such a good experience :crush:
I totally want to see pics!

spirals
June 22nd, 2013, 12:39 AM
I don't know why, but this post is making me cry. I'm so happy for you. And probably peri-menopausal. :lol:

Ravenwind
June 22nd, 2013, 12:54 AM
That's awesome :) It's rare to find a hair stylist that actually listens and understands.

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 01:06 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DqLEmgt9-XA/UcVMnnRlJXI/AAAAAAAAAOw/KZqAISnB_NE/s1600/June13.png

Pardon the brassyness of my ends. Its time for me to freshen up the color.

bradlea
June 22nd, 2013, 01:10 AM
Awesome story to hear about, and thanks for making it so engaging! Also, the hair is lovely and your hemline looks quite thick to me.

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 01:11 AM
Awesome story to hear about, and thanks for making it so engaging! Also, the hair is lovely and your hemline looks quite thick to me.

Thank you. I have the gift for gab. ^-^;

And I swore, *swore* my ends looked something flimsy and fairy tailish and super thin. I guess J's right. I was out of my mind. I blame the moon.

meishkamooshka
June 22nd, 2013, 01:15 AM
Hahaha, I think I have to agree with J that you're insane to think those are thin ends! :P

I'm so very happy to read about your positive experience, and, clearly, a stylist who really knows how to treat her client well! :D :flowers:

Gorgeous hair!

SnowWhite
June 22nd, 2013, 01:15 AM
Wow looks amazing! And great to have a hairdresser that actually does what you want her to do :)

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 01:19 AM
Hahaha, I think I have to agree with J that you're insane to think those are thin ends! :P

I'm so very happy to read about your positive experience, and, clearly, a stylist who really knows how to treat her client well! :D :flowers:

Gorgeous hair!

MEISHIE-ISHKA! ... -gasp- I *adore* your smokin' hot avvie!

Also, thank you.

PetuniaBlossom
June 22nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
Your hair looks great. I'm so happy you found a hairdresser who totally 'gets it' and will talk you out of what would have been a mistake. Here's hoping you and she have a long and mutually beneficial partnership for beautiful hair.

BrightEyes
June 22nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Oh my goodness, your hair is beautiful!!

I'm so happy you've found such a great stylist. As a stylist myself, I know it can be very hard to find one who supports you in your hair goals. When you do find one, like you said they are a gem!! I'm currently trying to find a new one, my stylist of 7 years quit and now I am a little stressed about finding a stylist who won't tell me my hair is too fine to grow long :(

I hope J can help you achieve your long hair goals :)

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Your hair looks amazing.

shutterpillar
June 22nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
It looks great! I am so happy you found someone you like who respects your goals for your hair. :)

jeanniet
June 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Your hair looks great, and I'm so happy for your good experience. I went to a salon for the first time in about four years, and also had a great experience, so I share your joy. :D

Kaelee
June 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Awesome!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

PeacenQuietGal
June 22nd, 2013, 10:50 AM
Hi AngelicDemise - I thoroughly, heartily, enjoyed readingy your post! But then, the pictures... oh my goodness, your hair is inspiring! And, if I weren't already commited to a year without trims, I would start with trimming with the moon, and summer solstice myself (although not for religious reasons). Thank you your post, I enjoyed it so much! :)

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hi AngelicDemise - I thoroughly, heartily, enjoyed readingy your post! But then, the pictures... oh my goodness, your hair is inspiring! And, if I weren't already commited to a year without trims, I would start with trimming with the moon, and summer solstice myself (although not for religious reasons). Thank you your post, I enjoyed it so much! :)

Thank you! You're a total sweetie. Your trimless year is a worthwhile goal and I applaud you for it. I tried going a full year without trims and couldn't do it. Just too much layering, y'know? I never wanted layers to begin with and I wanted to start getting rid of it. My whole goal the last few years has been to gain as much length while getting rid of layers. It took a lot of patience and solid planning on doing what had to be done. I'd trim about quarter of an inch to an inch every two months for about two years now. I'm finally gotten to the point where I only have two more inches left from a *horrible cut* that I got four years ago. I'm sure that if I had a hemline I was pleased with, I would have endeavored 12 months of no trimming. After all, every stylist that I've gone to has mentioned I really don't need such frequent trimming. (I haven't started visiting a salon until I started working for one.)

Micayla47
June 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
wow! your hair is spectacular! what city are you/J in?

leslissocool
June 22nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
YAY!!! I'm happy for you!

Yup, that hair looks fantastic! J was right!

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
wow! your hair is spectacular! what city are you/J in?

I'm in the Bellevue/Kirkland area of Washington.

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
YAY!!! I'm happy for you!

Yup, that hair looks fantastic! J was right!

Yeah... -blush- I can't help but wonder what the hell I was smoking. I *swore* it looked like crap and was like, a thousand times worse than it actually is.

leslissocool
June 22nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Yeah... -blush- I can't help but wonder what the hell I was smoking. I *swore* it looked like crap and was like, a thousand times worse than it actually is.

Heck, I'm actually thinking of seeing J when I'm down there! DH has a week of vacation, I'd have to take the kids with us but he can drop me off at the salon. :whistle:

DancingQueen
June 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Wow, that is awesome! I wish I could find a stylist like that - I came close once, but then she had to leave work because she had a baby. Congratulations; and your ends look amazing; no need to cut 6 inches at all! :)

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Let me know when, so I can book your appointment, since y'know, that's what I do for a living. 8)

leslissocool
June 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Let me know when, so I can book your appointment, since y'know, that's what I do for a living. 8)

Oh I will :evil: I'd want your company!

lapushka
June 22nd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Your hair looks nice. It's so slick! Something I can only dream of with my 2a texture. Or wait, she flatironed it, right? :oops: Don't know what your usual texture is.

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Its a 1b/c with mostly b. I do have some random little spirals that frame my face, hence the c. Its just wavy enough that the hemline doesn't come out as blunt as I want it sometimes. I think that's why V likes to curl the hair when she's done (and why other stylists insist I get layers. Its just easier to keep a blunt line without having to be so precise.). Again, don't get me wrong, I don't mind if its not perfectly blunt since the ends are mostly up and hidden anyway but I adore the fact that J goes out of her way for perfection.

I told her I wanted no layers and a blunt hemline. She'll do what it takes to give me that even though my hair's going up anyway. I wouldn't mind fairy tailing if I was more of a 1c/2a. IMHO fairy tail ends look nicer the tighter the wave/curl as it makes the hair look so soft and delicate. My hair is just too straight to look pretty that way. At least that's what I think.

ooo
June 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Thank you for sharing! It's good to know these kind of stylists are out there.

lapushka
June 22nd, 2013, 03:41 PM
Its a 1b/c with mostly b. I do have some random little spirals that frame my face, hence the c. Its just wavy enough that the hemline doesn't come out as blunt as I want it sometimes. I think that's why V likes to curl the hair when she's done (and why other stylists insist I get layers. Its just easier to keep a blunt line without having to be so precise.). Again, don't get me wrong, I don't mind if its not perfectly blunt since the ends are mostly up and hidden anyway but I adore the fact that J goes out of her way for perfection.

I told her I wanted no layers and a blunt hemline. She'll do what it takes to give me that even though my hair's going up anyway. I wouldn't mind fairy tailing if I was more of a 1c/2a. IMHO fairy tail ends look nicer the tighter the wave/curl as it makes the hair look so soft and delicate. My hair is just too straight to look pretty that way. At least that's what I think.

In any case, it's a nice hair stylist story! She's definitely a keeper.

patienceneeded
June 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
Wonderful story! Glad to see that someone else has found a stylist the are planning on keeping! Your hair looks lovely!

SunlightShines
June 23rd, 2013, 12:13 AM
Your hair looks great! I'm so happy that you found someone that listens and cares about what you want for your hair! Definitely a gem! :)