PDA

View Full Version : What could this mysterious red oil be?

GabrielleRose
June 20th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I stumbled upon this video while on youtube and I have absolutely no clue what this oil could be. Any thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENojimQYFFs

Kaelee
June 20th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Huh. She doesn't tell you what it is, just says to go to her facebook page.

I can't pass by fast enough! (And she probably naturally has hair that thick...mine is that thick without "red oil"!)

The only oil I've seen that can look like that is Red Palm Oil, though the oil probably has stuff mixed in it that could MAKE it red. Other oils that I've seen which are that color are things you definitely don't want to use as a hair treatment! :lol:

GabrielleRose
June 20th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Exactly, and I have actually messaged her to see what info I could get from her and this is what she said:

The Red Oil is made to encourage new hair growth, give shine, repair dry or damaged hair and significantly reduce hair fall. Although, The Red Oil has worked wonders for me and many others, you must remember it contains NO chemicals, and is an all natural product, therefore the extent of product working varies from person to person. While on the Red Oil treatment, you must remember you have to use it exactly as directed, eat a proper diet and stay hydrated to speed up the process to healthy hair. This product was created in a salon on Dubai over 15 years ago and the ingredients are not disclosed to avoid copy products. The changes can be noticed with regular use after a month or 2 depending on the extent of the damage to your hair. Like any treatment, this prdouct must be used regularly for best results. (Every 4 days) We can ship anywhere in the world or It can be picked up in person from Mississauga, Brampton or Niagara Falls, Canada
Venus Beauty Products List:
Red oil is $20 for 250ml or
Red oil $30 for 500ml.
Shampoo 350ml is $10
Conditioner 350ml is $10

GabrielleRose
June 20th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I think her hair is naturally thick too.

Someone had commented asking if it was red palm oil and she said no that its not and supposedly it can not be purchased any where else.:rolleyes:

Kaelee
June 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Uh huh. I'm really going to put something on my head when I have NO IDEA what's in it. It could be any number of things, any of which could cause an allergy or just in general be horrible for you. Who knows what's in that stuff? I'll be passing on that like a hot potato.

A lot of Indian and Arab women have naturally thick hair...at least the ones I've seen, if they take care of their hair, it tends to be very thick, at least from what I've seen. Not always, but often.

Kaelee
June 20th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Google found this: http://dubailivenews.blogspot.com/2012/07/ojon-hair-products-restore-damage-with.html but I don't know if it's the same stuff.

ETA: Also this (different stuff) http://zab-mylife.blogspot.com/2010/08/jadayel-hair-lenghtening-oil.html

Kyla
June 20th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Google found this: http://dubailivenews.blogspot.com/2012/07/ojon-hair-products-restore-damage-with.html but I don't know if it's the same stuff.

Ojon is a silicone oil that can be purchased everywhere, so I don't think that's it. I agree that her hair is likely that thick naturally, and I think she is probably getting paid to tell others about "red oil." And seriously, not being told the ingredients of something can be extremely dangerous for some people, I hope they are at least included with other info about the product when she sells it.

teela1978
June 20th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Some Ojon products have silicone oils in them, but I'd hesitate to call Ojon "a silicon oil" as the name derives from the nut their oils are extracted from. Isn't it all nut butters and such? Something like chi serum I'd call a "silicon oil" (and it's awesome stuff), but not Ojon.

Kyla
June 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Some Ojon products have silicone oils in them, but I'd hesitate to call Ojon "a silicon oil" as the name derives from the nut their oils are extracted from. Isn't it all nut butters and such? Something like chi serum I'd call a "silicon oil" (and it's awesome stuff), but not Ojon.

I specifically meant their rare blend hair oil, which I've used (and liked) and has dimethicone in it, which is all I meant by silicone oil. If the words silicone oil mean something different than that, that's my mistake and I apologize for my word choice. :p I realize my earlier post was a bit poorly worded anyways- as with any product, I doubt one can find it "anywhere" as I said.

ETA: I know I'm beating this to death, but I also wanted to add I wasn't trying to say that silicones in products are inherently bad either, I use them on occasion and think they are dandy. :)

The entire ingredients list of the ojon rare blend oil is as follows:

Dimethicone, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Butylene Glycol, Propanediol, Glycerin, Water/Aqua/Eau, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Elaeis Oleifera (Palm) Kernel Oil, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Seed Oil, Commiphora Wildii Oil, Ximenia Americana Seed Oil, Sucrose, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Vetiveria Zizanoides Root Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Dipteryx Odorata Seed Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis (Tiare) Flower Extract, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Maltol, Pantethine, Panthenol, Sodium Chloride, Saccharide Isomerate, Polyquaternium-55, Phytantriol, Panthenylethyl Ester, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Flower Wax, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamte, Vanillin, Linalool, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzaldehyde, Red 40 (Ci 16035)

cathair
June 21st, 2013, 12:02 AM
Ojon is a silicone oil that can be purchased everywhere, so I don't think that's it. I agree that her hair is likely that thick naturally, and I think she is probably getting paid to tell others about "red oil." And seriously, not being told the ingredients of something can be extremely dangerous for some people, I hope they are at least included with other info about the product when she sells it.

If I remember right, the only product that is pure 'Ojon oil' is the tub of Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment (http://www.boots.com/en/Ojon-Damage-Reverse%E2%84%A2-Restorative-Hair-Treatment-100ml_1276019/) (not the one that ends in Plus, that has other rubbish added I think). I think the rest of them must be either diluted or fractionated because Ojon oil isn't liquid at room temperature. It is also a brown-ish colour (picture here (http://glam24-7.com/communities/5/004/011/621/685/images/4589425218_380x380.jpg)). So I am pretty sure that is not similar. Palm kernal oil (I learn this from Earthnut, thanks again for the excellent research) is very similar to Ojon oil. So I agree I don't think it is that. I wonder if the colour has been added to hide what it actually is. I just have this feeling it is probably an oil that is cheap with colour and smell added, but I have nothing to back that up.

I also agree that not knowing the ingredients can be extremly dangerous; I wouldn't buy anything from her. Thank you for the heads up the rare blend oil has Dimethicone, I had thought about trying it but hadn't investigated it.

Kyla
June 21st, 2013, 12:44 AM
If I remember right, the only product that is pure 'Ojon oil' is the tub of Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment (http://www.boots.com/en/Ojon-Damage-Reverse%E2%84%A2-Restorative-Hair-Treatment-100ml_1276019/) (not the one that ends in Plus, that has other rubbish added I think). I think the rest of them must be either diluted or fractionated because Ojon oil isn't liquid at room temperature. It is also a brown-ish colour (picture here (http://glam24-7.com/communities/5/004/011/621/685/images/4589425218_380x380.jpg)). So I am pretty sure that is not similar. Palm kernal oil (I learn this from Earthnut, thanks again for the excellent research) is very similar to Ojon oil. So I agree I don't think it is that. I wonder if the colour has been added to hide what it actually is. I just have this feeling it is probably an oil that is cheap with colour and smell added, but I have nothing to back that up.

I also agree that not knowing the ingredients can be extremly dangerous; I wouldn't buy anything from her. Thank you for the heads up the rare blend oil has Dimethicone, I had thought about trying it but hadn't investigated it.

Ah, before this thread I honestly thought that Ojon was just a brand, not a specific type of oil. It being both is quite confusing! Thank you for the extra information!

cathair
June 21st, 2013, 12:52 AM
Ah, before this thread I honestly thought that Ojon was just a brand, not a specific type of oil. It being both is quite confusing! Thank you for the extra information!

No problem at all, glad to be useful :) I hope I remembered that all acciurately :D

Wikipedia has Ojon oil down as:

Ojon oil extracted from the nut of the American palm (Elaeis oleifera). Oil extracted from both the nut and husk is also used as an edible oil in Central and South America.

So it basically is a palm kernal oil (not just palm oil, they are quite different), but from a slightly different species of tree, Elaeis oleifera, rather than the one they most commonly use for food, which is Elaeis guineensis.

Konstifik
June 21st, 2013, 03:02 AM
From wikipedia: For the reddish oil used in cooking and commonly called "red oil" in Nigeria and other countries, see palm oil.

So my guess is either palm oil or st. john's wort oil.

ooo
June 21st, 2013, 06:01 AM
I'd like to add Taliah Waajid African Healing Oyl (http://www.amazon.com/Taliah-Waajid-African-Healing-Oyl/dp/B00552467Q)to all the speculations. In the end I think it's a blend of oils.

jacqueline101
June 21st, 2013, 06:52 AM
I'm wanting to know about the mystery oil myself.

teal
June 21st, 2013, 07:54 PM
So... anyone have a basement chemical analysis lab, time to spare and $20 wasting a hole in their pocket? Lol! :p

Seriously, though, I'm curious about the contents too.

BlazingHeart
June 21st, 2013, 09:27 PM
Ha. I might know someone who'd be able to do the chem analysis (I'd have to ask her to be sure), but this screams scam to me, too. One of the things that makes me suspicious of the contents is the settling she shows - the 'red' oil, at room temperature, is straw yellow with a thin layer of red...something...at the bottom. Interestingly, the jar she says is 'tinted' seems to be almost exactly the same color as the red layer in the 'untinted' stuff that hasn't been shaken. Hmm...

McFearless
June 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM
I didn't watch the video, but seabuckthorn oil is red, but stains yellow. I love it on my face and have used it on the scalp, diluted of course as it is very potent. I don't see a purpose for it on the hair itself however. It is expensive as well.

GabrielleRose
June 21st, 2013, 09:48 PM
I still have no clue as to what it is, and I'm tempted to waste money just to see what it is! But Kaelee you are absolutely right, without knowing what is in it could possibly cause a horrible reaction. Knowing me I'd probably have a horrible reaction!

Kaelee
June 21st, 2013, 10:04 PM
I still have no clue as to what it is, and I'm tempted to waste money just to see what it is! But Kaelee you are absolutely right, without knowing what is in it could possibly cause a horrible reaction. Knowing me I'd probably have a horrible reaction!

I keep having thoughts of the Khol used in that part of the world which is often made from antimony or lead. Eeep!

Wildcat Diva
June 22nd, 2013, 12:21 AM
I bet the squints on "Bones" could figure it out for us.

GabrielleRose
June 22nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
So she got back to me on the total if I were to order the shampoo, conditioner and oil (largest size), it would be in total with shipping $62.

Also, the shampoo is not sulfate free.

teela1978
June 23rd, 2013, 06:42 PM
I specifically meant their rare blend hair oil, which I've used (and liked) and has dimethicone in it, which is all I meant by silicone oil. If the words silicone oil mean something different than that, that's my mistake and I apologize for my word choice. :p I realize my earlier post was a bit poorly worded anyways- as with any product, I doubt one can find it "anywhere" as I said.

ETA: I know I'm beating this to death, but I also wanted to add I wasn't trying to say that silicones in products are inherently bad either, I use them on occasion and think they are dandy. :)

The entire ingredients list of the ojon rare blend oil is as follows:

Dimethicone, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Butylene Glycol, Propanediol, Glycerin, Water/Aqua/Eau, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Elaeis Oleifera (Palm) Kernel Oil, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Seed Oil, Commiphora Wildii Oil, Ximenia Americana Seed Oil, Sucrose, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Vetiveria Zizanoides Root Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Dipteryx Odorata Seed Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis (Tiare) Flower Extract, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Maltol, Pantethine, Panthenol, Sodium Chloride, Saccharide Isomerate, Polyquaternium-55, Phytantriol, Panthenylethyl Ester, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Flower Wax, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamte, Vanillin, Linalool, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzaldehyde, Red 40 (Ci 16035)

I guess I'd consider a silicone oil to be just dimethicone or cyclopentosiloxane... too much time in a chemistry lab :)

Elenna
September 6th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Ojon oil is a great product, but expensive & inconvenient to buy.

Are we talking about different Ojon products? Because the ingredient list I found for Ojon oil is:

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Cinnamomum Camphora (Camphor) Bark Oil, Citrus Reticulata Leaf Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Orbignya Speciosa Kernel Oil, Elaeis Oleifera (Palm) Kernel Oil, Cananga Odorata Flower Oil, Viola Odorata (Sweet Violet) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosmary) Leaf Extract, Agave Tequilana (Blue Agave) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Butyrospermum ParkII (Shea Butter), Magifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Potassium Stearate, Dimethiconol Meadowfoamate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Butylene Glycol, Potassium Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Phenoxyethanol, Caramel.

Ojon oil is a mix of natural oils & butters and other stuff. Info about palm oil is found on wikipedia. The Elaeis Guineensis is in fact African unrefined red palm oil (also known as dendê oil used in cookery). The other palm oil is from an American palm Elaeis oleifera (also known as batana oil). Besides the oils (safflower, orange, soybean, etc) the other butters are murumuru seed, shea, mango, & babassu oil. I don't see any "ojon oil" ingredient anywhere. I think it's marketing to cover up that palm oil is in the product & to charge a pretty steep price.

teela1978
September 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Depends on the product. They sell a solid tub of stuff that is mostly "ojon" (american palm/bantana) oil:

Elaeis Oleifera (Palm) Oil, Prunus Africana Bark Extract, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Lecithin, Citronellol, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance)

This thread is interesting:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76772

Catladyintown
October 4th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hi all I checked out the video and it says in the description box what in the oil. Here it is.
This product was created in a salon on Dubai over 15 years ago and the ingredients include: Olive, coconut, Vitamin E, avocado extracts, Vitamin K, almond, Rose hip & mustard seed, Vitamin A & C, castor, lavender, wild flower & herb extracts. The 8 day process of preparation and the meticulous attention to every small detail, makes this one of the best natural hair oil treatments in the world.

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hi all I checked out the video and it says in the description box what in the oil. Here it is.
This product was created in a salon on Dubai over 15 years ago and the ingredients include: Olive, coconut, Vitamin E, avocado extracts, Vitamin K, almond, Rose hip & mustard seed, Vitamin A & C, castor, lavender, wild flower & herb extracts. The 8 day process of preparation and the meticulous attention to every small detail, makes this one of the best natural hair oil treatments in the world.
I'm glad the mystery is at rest. But does it work to grow hair.

Catladyintown
October 4th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Don't know but here is another post about her business practices. I would be a little scared to order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd-yxKq_Cx0
Red oil by Venus Artistry

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Don't know but here is another post about her business practices. I would be a little scared to order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd-yxKq_Cx0
Red oil by Venus Artistry

That's unbelievable. I mean to raise prices like that. I'm glad I didn't buy from her she sounds like a con artist.

Kaelee
November 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
WOW! That whole thing seems shady!!! And the shipping, unless they're sending it overnight express or something, is just absurd!

DweamGoiL
November 3rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
I would not order this product even before watching the warning post. The fact she's in her bathroom boasting about it and there are NO other testimonials from anyone accredited in the industry. Her clear opening statement that she was going to share what it's made of and then not doing so did not earn brownie points with me. Her dancing around flinging and whipping her head back and forth as if your envy of her flowing locks and the beauty and thickness of her mane is all you need to give her your money really just TOTALLY turned me off. Then, when she goes on to state she has relationship advice, it was like "you've got to be kidding me! How old are you? How many times have you been married?" I am sensing snake oil ;)

If nothing else, I did find the ingredients in the Jadayel oil, which also happens to be red, quite interesting since most of us here already use a lot of these oils, but not mixed together. It inspires me to mix and experiment...hehehe.

In2wishin
November 3rd, 2013, 05:10 PM

That is probably what gives it its color.