PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss and Dehydration

Purdy Bear
June 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM
After visiting the Dr with dizzy spells I was told it could be dehydration. This was before the UK weather decided to improve all of a sudden - we are basking in 25 degree heat as I type.

I thought to myself I might look to see if it causes hair loss and surprisingly it does:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5052377_can-dehydration-cause-hair-loss.html

http://drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/HAIR%20LOSS.htm

In the UK the medical profession say to drink 2 Lts of water a day, that is roughly 4 pints of which I only have 2. Today I have been actively trying to increase my liquid consumption and have managed about 1 1/2 Lts so far.

How much do you drink a day, not including any caffeine drink as this I am told dehydrates?

NB for those who don't know I have 90% hair loss due to Alopecia Univarlis but it would be interesting to see if it improves in a few months time by rehydrating.

leslissocool
June 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Try coconut water, it hydrates!

Potassium deficiency and dehydration go hand in hand.

I drink a lot of water, over the recommended amount. I wake up and drink 16oz, then drink coffee, then before eating breakfast I drink another 16oz, eat, then snack, then before lunch another 16oz, then when I work out I drink 2 more 16 oz glasses, then before I eat dinner I drink another and then 2 more before I go to bed (with my vitamins). For every glass of coffee or tea you should drink 2 glasses of water (tea dehydrates too, specially caffeinated like green and black).

What helps: Large glasses. I have ones that are a bit over 16oz, it creates a visual effect when I drink (makes me drink more).

I don't drink anything other than coffee. So, it's either coffee or water, and when I'm thirsty I drink water.

When I don't work out I don't drink that much water, so IMO working out makes you thirsty and that's good so you drink more.

alexis917
June 19th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I don't know if this is counterproductive...
But I love hot sauce and spicy food, so I'm pretty much confined to drinking water all day.
I don't like soda anyway, so I suppose it's not all bad.
Maybe eating something spicy would help....

jeanniet
June 19th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I have been chronically dehydrated for years due to bladder issues--not severely, but enough. I'm trying hard to drink more water lately. On a good day I probably drink a quart of fluid, and right now that's my aim. In the past, I've honestly probably gone days drinking less than a pint a day. Of course, you also have to figure in food, and I do eat quite a bit of fruit and fresh veggies, but not always. I can't say that my fluid intake affects my hair at all, but obviously a chronically dehydrated state isn't all that good for you either, so I think the more you can drink, the better.

I try to start most days with a smoothie that has 12 oz. of fluid in it (plus the fruit and greens). I figure if I forget to drink the rest of the day, at least I got something.

PrincessIdril
June 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Honestly I probably don't drink enough, I just don't often feel thirsty.
But the "2 lts of water a day" thing isn't true, tea and coffee do count towards your fluid intake and we get plenty of water from food. Your body doesn't care if it comes from a baked potato or a glass, it will absorb it just the same. There are even suggestions that drinking that much water (in addition to food water) won't do anything more than dilute your urine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/shouldiworryabout/water.shtml

goldloli
June 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM
hmm maybe 5 liters in total

I drink about 2 liters of decaff tea in the mornings, then at least another 2 liters of water during the day and another liter at night. That sounds like so much and I wanna say less but no, I actually really do drink that much. I use pint classes also, just keep refilling them as soon as they are empty. If I havent had anything to drink in like 15 mins I start feeling dry mouth.

I sweat loads even when its cold, and my facial skin gets dehydrated easily so I guess thats why I crave so much. Also I work out a few times a week and have a high salt diet (for the sweating and also medical reasons).

door72067
June 19th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I average 9-12 cups per day which is 2+ liters

I keep a 20oz bottle on my desk at work and keep refilling it all day and at home, I keep an 8oz glass on the counter and drink every time I pass it by (refilling as needed)

in addition to morning tea, milk in cereal, etc

Vivalagina
June 19th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I drink about 3 liters of water a day. I have a 1 liter water bottle that I refill 2 or 3 times a day. I also usually have 2 cups of tea, a cup or two of OJ or milk, and occasionally a small coffee.

Firefox7275
June 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
After visiting the Dr with dizzy spells I was told it could be dehydration. This was before the UK weather decided to improve all of a sudden - we are basking in 25 degree heat as I type.

I thought to myself I might look to see if it causes hair loss and surprisingly it does:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5052377_can-dehydration-cause-hair-loss.html

http://drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/HAIR%20LOSS.htm

In the UK the medical profession say to drink 2 Lts of water a day, that is roughly 4 pints of which I only have 2. Today I have been actively trying to increase my liquid consumption and have managed about 1 1/2 Lts so far.

How much do you drink a day, not including any caffeine drink as this I am told dehydrates?

NB for those who don't know I have 90% hair loss due to Alopecia Univarlis but it would be interesting to see if it improves in a few months time by rehydrating.

Do you consistently meet or exceed ALL our government recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle?

A lot of your daily water intake should come from healthy wholefoods, seven to nine servings of fruit and veg a day (UK five is minimum, research supports nine, many countries advocate this number), seafood, plain meat (not bacon, ham, sausages, deli meats which are salt laden), beans, lentils and so on. Water alone does not hydrate you, the body needs complex fibrous carbohydrates, protein little and often, essential fatty acids and certain minerals to help hold water. Excessive caffeine, alcohol, sugar and salt can all dehydrate us. In the UK the average diet is off on every count - we average two servings of produce a day, a third of a serving of oily fish a week, way too much salt and sugar, little mineral and fibre rich foods other than processed breakfast cereals (which are packed with salt and sugar!). Numerous nutrient deficiencies can contribute to hair loss and hormone imbalances. The body naturally dehydrates overnight, what you eat as well as what you drink first thing helps rehydrate you.

jeanniet
June 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Do you consistently meet or exceed ALL our government recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle?

A lot of your daily water intake should come from healthy wholefoods, seven to nine servings of fruit and veg a day (UK five is minimum, research supports nine, many countries advocate this number), seafood, plain meat (not bacon, ham, sausages, deli meats which are salt laden), beans, lentils and so on. Water alone does not hydrate you, the body needs complex fibrous carbohydrates, protein little and often, essential fatty acids and certain minerals to help hold water. Excessive caffeine, alcohol, sugar and salt can all dehydrate us. In the UK the average diet is off on every count - we average two servings of produce a day, a third of a serving of oily fish a week, way too much salt and sugar, little mineral and fibre rich foods other than processed breakfast cereals (which are packed with salt and sugar!). Numerous nutrient deficiencies can contribute to hair loss and hormone imbalances. The body naturally dehydrates overnight, what you eat as well as what you drink first thing helps rehydrate you.

I think you're right on the money with this. I notice I'm thirstier on days when I don't eat what I normally would in terms of fruits and veggies (about 7-10 servings, mostly because I like big salads). I think certain foods also require more water from the body for digestion.

humble_knight
June 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM
On a good day, 7-9 litres. On an average day 3-5 litres.

Tea Lady
June 19th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for this information, Purdy Bear. I am recovering from thinning (still not 100% what the cause is, but I am doing everything I can to combat it). I absolutely do not drink enough, unless I make a conscious effort. I am one of those that just doesn't seem to get thirsty. It's odd, really!

Tea Lady

Firefox7275
June 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks for this information, Purdy Bear. I am recovering from thinning (still not 100% what the cause is, but I am doing everything I can to combat it). I absolutely do not drink enough, unless I make a conscious effort. I am one of those that just doesn't seem to get thirsty. It's odd, really!

Tea Lady

Thirst means you are already dehydrated and you can ward off being significantly dehydrated with much less fluids than you need for optimum hydration, it's healthier and better for hydration to sip constantly than to down a glass in one hit and flood your blood so your kidneys go into overdrive. Thirst is not an advance warning system it's an emergency alert and is manipulated by what sort of things we eat and drink as well as our lifestyle habits.

It's not so much a case of making a conscious effort forever but dropping an old bad habit in favour of a new good habit, soon the hand to mouth action will become unconscious as it is for many smokers. Keeping a drink in plain sight as much as possible is a visual cue, every time you drain your glass or botttle refill it immediately. Pop a drink by your bed each night so you can have a swig if you awake in the small hours, most of us won't bother to get up unless we are actively thirsty or struggling with insomnia.

And if you are eating your nine servings of fresh fruit and veggies each day you may not need two litres of fluids unless you are working out or in hot weather.

Bagginslover
June 21st, 2013, 04:16 AM
When I'm at work, I actually drink more than during my holiday periods (I work in a school, so get long holidays). At work I drink 3-4 pints of tea a day (I have a pint mug, I LOVE it!), then at least 2 more normal sized mugs at home plus other drinks (squash, juice or lemonade). I also have several cups of water with lunch.

Whwn I'm off work, my day is much less structured, so I have to actively remember to drink (and eat!), and so often forget til I'm actually thirsty.

I've never had a dehydration problem drinking things other than water, even in the holidays when I drink very little.

nakima
June 24th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I fill a gallon jug and try to have it gone by the end of the day. it helps:)

rainfortheend
June 24th, 2013, 11:43 PM
I drink lots of water and take a hyaluronic acid/glucosamine supplement to moisturize my skin and hair. When I drink water, it used to pass through my body without doing much hydrating, but this has made a difference. My shedding has lessened dramatically.