PDA

View Full Version : Tips To improve the Texture of Dry Hairs.

Silky
August 30th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hiii Friends.
I m silky and i have dry and wavy hair. And i need some tips to improve my hair texture, so that it can atleast be healthy is nothing else. Please do take into consideration that i have very busy schedule and i cannot give much time in hair care. If only you have some quick and easy tips with which my hair can become comparatively better than what is now, i will be very grateful to you. Waiting for your replies here.:cheese:

jel
August 30th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hi Silky, and welcome to LHC!

To give you useful tips or advice we have to know what things you do already. What is your routine? Do you use shampoo and conditioner, every day or once a week? How long is your hair and do you wear it down or in updos, do you use a hair dryer or straightener?

If you look at the Articles section above there is a good section on hair care, with several articles targeting beginners or newbies. I'd suggest you read through those first.

There are 2 simple things I would recommend for adding moisture to hair. One is adding a little honey to your conditioner (just mix in your hand before applying as normal, after washing) and keeping it on for 5-10 mins before rinsing. Honey is a humectant and works well in wet hair. The other advice is oiling - either a drop of oil after washing, as a leave in, or about a spoonful of oil 2-10 hours before washing, as heavy oiling. Or both! But please check out the articles first, before deciding what you're going to experiment with.

Silky
August 31st, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hi Silky, and welcome to LHC!

To give you useful tips or advice we have to know what things you do already. What is your routine? Do you use shampoo and conditioner, every day or once a week? How long is your hair and do you wear it down or in updos, do you use a hair dryer or straightener?

If you look at the Articles section above there is a good section on hair care, with several articles targeting beginners or newbies. I'd suggest you read through those first.

There are 2 simple things I would recommend for adding moisture to hair. One is adding a little honey to your conditioner (just mix in your hand before applying as normal, after washing) and keeping it on for 5-10 mins before rinsing. Honey is a humectant and works well in wet hair. The other advice is oiling - either a drop of oil after washing, as a leave in, or about a spoonful of oil 2-10 hours before washing, as heavy oiling. Or both! But please check out the articles first, before deciding what you're going to experiment with.
hiiii Jel

Thanks for your advice. I have dry hairs so i shampoo and condition once in a week, and i also apply oil once in a week. I dont use any straightners or irons. I have never undergone any sort of chemical treatment till date. When i have applied oil in my hair, i style it as braid and when its dry i just do up a half pony. U said that i should use honey with my conditioner, so wont it make my hair sticky or something? Also what kind of oil i use for my hair. In your pic your hairs are shiny, healthy and smooth. How can i get hair like yours?? Waiting for your reply.

A lot of people have to dampen hair before oiling in order for the oil to work as it needs to- not everyone has to do that, but I know that I do.

Also I have had more success from using Fox's Shea Butter (http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586) on my ends than with oil.

If you have even an hour a week to devote to hair care a moisture treatment can really help. Many people here swear by Snowy's Moisture Treatment which is 2 parts conditioner, to 1 part aloe vera gel, to one part honey. Slap that on dry hair for an hour or two covered with saran wrap and towel and you will have some beautifully conditioned, shiny locks.
Hiii NurseMama.
Thank you for your advice about oiling and conditioner. I will definitely take out that much time for my haircare. And i will let you know the result of your advice. Once again thanks a lot.

I would also try washing your hair twice a week instead of once. You can skip the shampoo if you want, but rinse your scalp and hair in water, massaging your scalp with your fingertips. You can condition your hair afterwards.
The reason why I think this is important is that very often, a dry scalp needs stimulation/massage, and the hair needs extra conditioner. Dry skin cells (and accumulated dirt) on the scalp are not good for dry hair. So, S&C once a week, but do rinse/condition at least once in between.

ETA: I am battling the same problem myself. I tried washing my hair less, but ended up with even drier hair.
Hiii Lamb.
I am very much thankful to you for sharing your experience with me and giving me wonderful tips about wahing my hair. I will definitely give it a go and will let you know the result.

NurseMama
August 31st, 2008, 04:54 AM
A lot of people have to dampen hair before oiling in order for the oil to work as it needs to- not everyone has to do that, but I know that I do.

Also I have had more success from using Fox's Shea Butter (http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586) on my ends than with oil.

If you have even an hour a week to devote to hair care a moisture treatment can really help. Many people here swear by Snowy's Moisture Treatment which is 2 parts conditioner, to 1 part aloe vera gel, to one part honey. Slap that on dry hair for an hour or two covered with saran wrap and towel and you will have some beautifully conditioned, shiny locks.

Lamb
August 31st, 2008, 05:34 AM
I would also try washing your hair twice a week instead of once. You can skip the shampoo if you want, but rinse your scalp and hair in water, massaging your scalp with your fingertips. You can condition your hair afterwards.
The reason why I think this is important is that very often, a dry scalp needs stimulation/massage, and the hair needs extra conditioner. Dry skin cells (and accumulated dirt) on the scalp are not good for dry hair. So, S&C once a week, but do rinse/condition at least once in between.

ETA: I am battling the same problem myself. I tried washing my hair less, but ended up with even drier hair.

jojo
September 1st, 2008, 12:54 AM
I have a wirey bit in the front of my hair and the only thing i have found which works for me is putting conditioner on and leaving overnight!

ScrimHazard
September 1st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Silky - if that's you in your avatar, you have gorgeous hair!!!

Isilme
September 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
Get a small mister bottle, fill it with lukewarm or warm water, squirt in some conditioner. Shake. Let cool, Voila, mist! Wonderful hair once it dries!:)

Aisha25
September 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM
You can try 2 parts conditioner and 1 parts honey mix it then apply to hairs leave for some time maybe 30-40 mins then rinse off with warm waters. It is very good and makes my hairs very nice and soft. Also you should try one thing at time that way hairs dont fall so much.
Aisha

plainjanegirl
September 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM
I have a wirey bit in the front of my hair and the only thing i have found which works for me is putting conditioner on and leaving overnight!

Do you put conditioner on wet or dry hair?

plainjanegirl
September 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM
You can try 2 parts conditioner and 1 parts honey mix it then apply to hairs leave for some time maybe 30-40 mins then rinse off with warm waters. It is very good and makes my hairs very nice and soft. Also you should try one thing at time that way hairs dont fall so much.
Aisha

Can you do this but then shampoo it out? Cause the smell of honey in my hair I do not like. How often do you do this?

Aisha25
September 1st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Can you do this but then shampoo it out? Cause the smell of honey in my hair I do not like. How often do you do this?
You dont like smell then yes you can shampoo it out. I did this 2 times a month. You can do everytime you wash no harm I just did my last wash as a final conditioner and my hair is very silky from it.

sipnsun
September 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Plainjanegirl, I found that if I rinse my hair very well, (5 min. or more) it doesn't have any honey smell at all. (DH hates honey and would tell me if I smelled like it).

Silky, you could also try a leave in conditioner on your ends. I couldn't get a comb through my hair without one.

danacc
September 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
You can also try CWC when you wash with shampoo. Apply conditioner to the length only. Leave the conditioner in your hair and apply diluted shampoo to the scalp only. Massage the scalp area. Rinse everything together--the shampoo from the scalp and the conditioner from the length. Apply conditioner to the length only again. Let it sit, then rinse again.

If your conditioner has 'cones, you'll need to shampoo the length on occasion. If your conditioner does not have 'cones, then the length will stay clean with the shampoo that drips down it during the rinse in addition to the conditioner which is usually a mild cleanser itself.

Katze
September 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Silky, I remember you posting before that you were considering glued extensions because your hair wasn't nice enough for a special event?

If that is you in the pic, your hair is enviable already. It may be that it just needs a tiny trim and a deep moisturizing treatment. Again, as others have recommended, don't try TOO many new things at once.

SMT, or Snowy's Moisture Treatment (see the thread in the Recipes section, sorry I don't know how to link) is a favorite of many people here. Someone has already recommended mixing conditioner and honey; SMT is similar to this, but also has aloe vera. When I leave SMT on my hair for an hour or so, I have visibly softer and smoother hair.

TEXTURE, however, is something you are born with, unless your hair is chemically or heat-damaged. For example, my hair is fine; I cannot change the TEXTURE to make it coarser (though I wish I could!). What I can do is care for the hair I do have, avoid harsh treatments, and keep it well moisturized.

hope this helps, and I hope you are feeling better about your hair. It is really quite beautiful!

Katze

Silky
September 4th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Thank you guys for your wonderful tips for my dry hair.......i will try all this out and let you know which treatment works for me the BEST. Once again thank you very much. If you have other suggestions for me do post it.:)

*BelievingAgain
September 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hi Silky, welcome! I know you'll find lots of help and well-wishes on this board.

If you don't have much time, you could try oiling the ends of your hair (everyone has their favorite, my personal's are olive oil, or avocado oil, or jojoba oil or coconut oil) before you shampoo and condition.

Also, check out the articles section of the site, I think it has some really great tips for all kinds and conditions of hair. Again, welcome! :flower:

Silky
September 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hi Silky, welcome! I know you'll find lots of help and well-wishes on this board.

If you don't have much time, you could try oiling the ends of your hair (everyone has their favorite, my personal's are olive oil, or avocado oil, or jojoba oil or coconut oil) before you shampoo and condition.

Also, check out the articles section of the site, I think it has some really great tips for all kinds and conditions of hair. Again, welcome! :flower:
Hiii *BelievingAgain, thanks for the welcome and i do like this community as i got plenty of suggestions to try and everyone is very nice over here. I apply oil after two days of my hairwash and leave it on my hait untill its time for the next wash that is probably a week from the last wash. So do you think i have to make any changes in my wahing schedule or is it fine?

Silky
September 4th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Aisha
hiii Aisha.
I wanted to ask you that weather is it fine to apply this hair pack of conditioner and honey on oiled hair?? Or i have to apply it on dry hair only? Waiting for your reply here.

Aisha25
September 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM
hiii Aisha.
I wanted to ask you that weather is it fine to apply this hair pack of conditioner and honey on oiled hair?? Or i have to apply it on dry hair only? Waiting for your reply here.
Hi silky it is fine to do this if you have them in oil. I do it when my hair is wet and after shampoo,but you can do it before head bath. I dont think you need to change much in your routine dear just oil heavely on night before wash and take care while in the wash too. Dilute your shampoo if you use this and be gentle after wash just air dry your hairs then apply a little oil to them then braid.
Aisha

Silky
September 4th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Hi silky it is fine to do this if you have them in oil. I do it when my hair is wet and after shampoo,but you can do it before head bath. I dont think you need to change much in your routine dear just oil heavely on night before wash and take care while in the wash too. Dilute your shampoo if you use this and be gentle after wash just air dry your hairs then apply a little oil to them then braid.
Aisha
Cool tip Aisha. I m sure trying out your advice wont make much changes in my routine. Thanks a bunch.

Silky
September 5th, 2008, 04:44 AM
ummm.....aisha just one more question, wont my hair feel sticky and would not it be hard to wash honey out of my hair??

carolineb
September 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
No Silky, you just need to rinse it off with warm water long enough and you will certainly be fine. It is just 2 parts of conditionner for 1 part of honey... :)

Aisha25
September 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
No Silky, you just need to rinse it off with warm water long enough and you will certainly be fine. It is just 2 parts of conditionner for 1 part of honey... :)
What she said ^ if anything it will make it more silky.:razz: If you have any vinegar then you can mix that with water and pour over hair after you rinse the honey and conditioner out than rinse the vinegar water mix out it helps make more shine too.

Silky
September 6th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Thank you for your help guys. Today i tried CWC out and it really worked for me. I got clean scalp but no dried ends. I really loved that technique, and now its time for your suggested hair pack. I will let you know how it turned out for me.:)