PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil Soak + SMT

pressedflowers
June 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Would it be possible to do a 1-hr coconut oil treatment followed by an SMT in the same night? Or is that too much for one night?

The last time I did coconut oil, I had really, really stiff ends even though I used basically half a bottle of V05 conditioner to rinse out. I thought maybe if I rinsed it out then followed up with an SMT my hair my end up softer. Thoughts?

SoulOfTheSea
June 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM
It sounds like that would work to me, because conditioner takes oil out easier than shampoo. Since an SMT is mostly conditioner, along with other goodies, I don't see why not! :) I think I've read of other community members who've done this also; I just can't recall who and where I read it! :o

jacqueline101
June 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM
You might do a test area before you do your whole head of hair to make sure it turns out alright.

neko_kawaii
June 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM
It would certainly work to make removing the coconut oil easy, but it sounds like your hair may not like coconut, not all do. Have you tried any other oils?

spirals
June 19th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I've found that after a co soak mixing baking soda into my wash routine works well.

Hairwish
June 19th, 2013, 01:07 AM
It worked fine for me when I did this.

Natalia
June 19th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Sounds fine to me, i bet my hair would like that. Lol your giving it ideas!

pressedflowers
June 19th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks everyone, I was worried it would really weigh my hair down but my hair actually feels really soft. And actually it felt much softer even when I was just rinsing the coconut oil out, prior to the SMT. I'm using the same brand oil I did the first time so I'm not sure what changed. Maybe I used too much the first time, or not enough, or some weird thing like that. :shrug:

cranberrymoonz
June 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM
remember that coconut oil turns solid at cold temperatures. I don't know about the weather where you live, but when I use coconut oil in the winter, my ends become stiff when I go outside.

Firefox7275
June 19th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I combine coconut oil and honey/ sugar syrup which is a well loved combination according to YouTube, can't see the point in doing two separate conditioning treatments. Hair is fantastic afterwards. You can't rinse coconut oil out, it is not water soluble. Any ingredient can be overused, plenty of people do well from light protein but not heavy, or aloe vera within a conditioner but not straight up.

pressedflowers
June 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I combine coconut oil and honey/ sugar syrup which is a well loved combination according to YouTube, can't see the point in doing two separate conditioning treatments. Hair is fantastic afterwards.

Great point! Next time I will add some coconut oil to my SMT and leave it in for an hour, and "get two birds stoned at once" if anyone gets the Trailer Park Boys reference :) That way I can get the benefits of the oil plus the moisture treatment without doing them separately. Thanks!!!