PDA

View Full Version : Camping Hair?!

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Im going camping next week for the first time in about... Oh dear... 3 or 4 years!
That is just too long in between in my opinion!!

Anyway....

My hair has obviously gotten a LOT longer since then and I am just now realizing I have no idea what to do with my hair the whole time... I mean... Last time it wasnt even shoulder length, so I had no choice other than to just let it do whatever it wanted.
Now Im at hip, so Im a tad clueless on this particular subject.

Every day I pretty much put it up in a nautilus or lazy wrap bun with my wooden hair fork, but I realize its a bad idea to use wood with water..... SO, what should I do here?

I do have a few glass sticks, and Im definitely going to be using those... But I will be in and out of the water about a hundred times a day because I am part fish.
Braids??
Different types of buns?
Wear it down while IN the water and put it up later?

BAH!? Im so confused...

Im leaning towards braiding most of the time, either Dutch/French or pigtail braids. Then bunning in the evenings.
I will be camping for four days. If that helps anything. lol

Advice?

Sharysa
June 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Braids are definitely a good bet. And if you're going to be in a place with lots of trees/shrubs/prickly things, I actually don't recommend buns. Especially not with hair-sticks.

Lots of greenery means lots of twigs, lots of leaves, lots of bugs, and at least a few nigh-invisible spiderwebs.

morrigan*
June 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM
You can french or duch braid it and then put in bun with amish pins or something similar. Crown and spiral braid is useful too and you can leave it for more than one day.

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Braids are definitely a good bet. And if you're going to be in a place with lots of trees/shrubs/prickly things, I actually don't recommend buns. Especially not with hair-sticks.

Lots of greenery means lots of twigs, lots of leaves, lots of bugs, and at least a few nigh-invisible spiderwebs.

I actually think the place we are going is a groomed camping ground... Not entirely sure though, never been there. :P

You can french or duch braid it and then put in bun with amish pins or something similar. Crown and spiral braid is useful too and you can leave it for more than one day.

I am sadly not capable of crown or spiral braid yet... I may want to play around and see if I could figure it out before I go though... That might work!!
And I dont have Amish pins either... lol.

The tools I have include:
Wooden fork
glass stick X2
Teensy hair ties
Scrunchies
bobby pins
regular hair ties

Sharysa
June 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Well, that actually means hairsticks would be viable after all.

Still, you might want to switch from buns to braids while sleeping.

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Well, that actually means hairsticks would be viable after all.

Still, you might want to switch from buns to braids while sleeping.

I actually sleep with a silk cap, and after I switch to that... I refuse to do anything else. :P

Im more just worried about the being in and out of water all day. :/

SerinaDaith
June 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Honestly a little oil before swimming and braids seems best especially if you are not worried about dust. I have been camping for 10 days in heat and dusty wind so silk scarves and braids are my best friends. I was in town for the last four days and I go out again tomorrow for another 10 days. I washed my hair the first day back and will again tonight then from here on out it'll get to be dirty till I come home.

Anje
June 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Personally, I'd leave the glass sticks at home. Too much risk of them getting broken. (ETA: This goes about quadruple in the water. Many bodies of water won't even allow you to have glass beverages near them for a reason. If you were to lose one and it eventually broke, it could end up going through someone's foot. Not cool.)

When I go camping, my hair tends to be in a braid or bun. For buns when camping, I tend to secure with a stick that won't upset me if I lose it (read: cut-down chopstick), a U-bent double-pointed knitting needle, or a well-loved and somewhat banged-up fakkare (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=VP10435).

Oh, and consider packing oil and extra hairties. I know when I go camping with other longhairs, I often tend to end up giving them braids.

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Honestly a little oil before swimming and braids seems best especially if you are not worried about dust. I have been camping for 10 days in heat and dusty wind so silk scarves and braids are my best friends. I was in town for the last four days and I go out again tomorrow for another 10 days. I washed my hair the first day back and will again tonight then from here on out it'll get to be dirty till I come home.

I was thinking about bringing some Coconut Oil and/or Olive Oil for braiding too! I might just have to do that.
Especially since I still have some layers in my hair that are not too fond of staying happily in a braid.

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Personally, I'd leave the glass sticks at home. Too much risk of them getting broken.

When I go camping, my hair tends to be in a braid or bun. For buns when camping, I tend to secure with a stick that won't upset me if I lose it (read: cut-down chopstick), a U-bent double-pointed knitting needle, or a well-loved and somewhat banged-up fakkare (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=VP10435).

Oh, and consider packing oil and extra hairties. I know when I go camping with other longhairs, I often tend to end up giving them braids.

My glass sticks are VERY thick for sticks, and Im really not a huge fan of either of them... Lol. They are primarily for wearing my hair up in the shower.
I really need to get myself a U knitting needle... Ive been meaning to do that.
And My plan was to pack my whole collection of hairties, and I just had someone else mention oil!
Thank you!

morrigan*
June 17th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I think that for swimming is best to oil hair and then braid it in whatever will stay the best

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I think that for swimming is best to oil hair and then braid it in whatever will stay the best

Thats what Im thinking too...
Olive oil and Dutch/French... Here I come! haha

gillybeanxo3921
June 17th, 2013, 03:50 PM
If I were you, I would put your hair in a french or dutch braid for swimming and leave it in the whole time, then detangle and rebraid afterwards. If you're going to be in and out, I would just leave the same braid- why cause unnecessary mechanical damage by detangling over and over? So detangle before bed, and then sleep on a braid.

I'm a braid kinda girl hahah, so personally, that's what I'd do.

And yes, definitely coconut oil! Coconut oil will reduce tangles and if my sources are correct, has some kind of compound that helps moisture enter the hair and stay in it, so swimming with the oil in should be beneficial :)

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 04:20 PM
If I were you, I would put your hair in a french or dutch braid for swimming and leave it in the whole time, then detangle and rebraid afterwards. If you're going to be in and out, I would just leave the same braid- why cause unnecessary mechanical damage by detangling over and over? So detangle before bed, and then sleep on a braid.

I'm a braid kinda girl hahah, so personally, that's what I'd do.

And yes, definitely coconut oil! Coconut oil will reduce tangles and if my sources are correct, has some kind of compound that helps moisture enter the hair and stay in it, so swimming with the oil in should be beneficial :)

I think Im going to do exactly this, but I will put it in a satin cap while I sleep cause I find it SO comfy and easy. :D

neko_kawaii
June 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
The last couple times I've been swimming I've done some variety of interlaced braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M). The same thing can be done with a singe Dutch braid. Just need a pin or two to secure the end.

For car camping I do what I do every day - whatever strikes my fancy. I'm going backpacking in July and I'll probably do a low braided cinnabun held with spin pins simply because it will spare me the occasional irritation of my braid interacting with my backpack while allowing for a bandana and hat. I might sleep in the same braid (removed from the bun) but sometimes at the end of the day a fresh braid just feels nice. I'll almost certainly rebraid in the morning because I've found a fresh braid makes for a more secure bun.

I don't oil my hair everyday when I'm at home so I can't see the need for oiling my hair when I'm away from home, unless doing so is a bit of a treat. *shrug*

Indigo Girl
June 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I always keep my hair in an oiled braid whenever I camp.

Have fun!

Vrindi
June 17th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Pigtail braids and French braids worked best for my hip-length hair. Don't bother with bringing the hair sticks. They'll get broken or lost. Keep a few elastics on your wrist or in your back pack or something. If you need a stick, you can find one outside! Coconut oil for swimming and sun protection. Also, wear a hat (this is why pigtail braids worked best for me, I could easily put my hat on over.)

patienceneeded
June 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I'm going camping next week too! We go quite often in the summer, this will be our first trip of many this summer.

I usually just braid my hair and call it good. Braids work for everything! After 2-3 days a french or french/dutch braid hides the greasies well. I'll be taking a few hairties and maybe one of my acrylic sticks. Maybe. I generally avoid buns, as they do not work well with hats, and hats are a must-have. Lots of times I'll wear a ballcap and run a braided ponytail through the opening in the back of the hat. Above all, keep it simple! You're camping!

Have fun!

tigereye
June 17th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I'd leave the hair toys at home - too much risk of breakage/loss/damage.
Personally, I'd put it in a French or Dutch braid (easy to re-do on site, and keeps most of the tangles at bay). I'd keep it that way in the water, and when out of it, I'd use a pencil as a hairstick to bun the braid.
Pencils are my go-to for cases where I'd have worried about my regular hair-toys, since they're cheap, can be made almost any required length, and it doesn't matter if the pencil gets water damaged by soaking wet hair. Just take a couple plus a good sharpener to keep them from catching your hair in case of lead-breakings or pencil-snappage.

I usually oil my braid when I'm camping but its more as a treat for my hair and to keep my braid nice.

Stellaaa
June 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
What everybody else said.
Braids.
I did geological field work, in the jungle, with classic, or thereabouts, length hair. It was almost always is a simple english braid (only because I don't know how to do french or dutch).
Same with scuba diving. Braids.

anitacs9101
June 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I don't like braids personally for camping because my hair tends to fall out of them. I love cinnabuns with Amish pins because they are comfy, easy and super-secure even without a hair tie. I suppose 3 inch hair pins should work the same if you don't have Amish pins. I think it holds and looks much better if you pin it as you go instead of all at once, so it actually looks like a cinnamon bun instead of a big lump.

Darkessa
June 17th, 2013, 08:51 PM
That interlacing braid is a good idea if my braid tail begins to annoy me!
I guess oiled braids are SUPER awesome for camping!! Imma do it!

I also just bought a cowboy hat today for my trip!! :D

alexis917
June 17th, 2013, 09:02 PM
For camping I like to put my hair in a messy cinnabun.
Not the prettiest style, but when my hair is braided I'm always paranoid it'll get caught in spiderwebs/on twigs/etc...
Honestly, as long as your hair is out of the way, I'd call it a success!
Have fun- I'm jealous, I haven't gone camping in forever!

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I agree maybe the braids would be best.

spirals
June 17th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I have tangly wavy curls. Braids work best for controlling it. Besides, using hair toys in buns would present a risk of losing said toys. Also, my hair is heavy, so if I wear a bun, it comes out at night. If I were camping, I wouldn't want to bother with taking it down. I'd braid it neatly and leave it in as many days as possible, smoothing with oil, which would double as lotion/moisturizer (yay, less stuff to bring). My scalp is bound to get itchy, so I'd bring a bottle of scalp spray for that, or plan to wash once. I use castile soap, which is biodegradable. I'm fond of twin braids. They're comfy to sleep in, cute, and easy to pin up if needed.

Misty'sMess
June 18th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Last march I did the two week climb to Everest basecamp-no showers or hot water, sometimes it was even -17 degrees and the water was frozen. I wore my hair in a braid the entire time, it's easy to hide dirty hair and you can easily wear a hat. It was great fun, my hair loved being ignore and grew from hip to tailbone while I was away.

I hope you have a nice camping holiday :)

Darkessa
June 18th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thank you again everyone for the suggestions! They are all super helpful! :D

truepeacenik
June 18th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Swimming. In fresh water? No need for oils. That's for chlorine and salt. And other additives.
I have thigh length hair, and in fresh water I just braid.

In a salt pool, I soak my hair in fresh water (it's a no oils pool) and bun with spin pins that I've painted to avoid rust. I use the same ones, as this is still less than ideal.

At your length, I'd braid and not worry. Maybe two braids.

misty- basecamp? You go. Dreaming of the summit yet?

I don't climb anymore, but I do hike the 14ers in Colorado. Should get up to the sierras.

Darkessa
June 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Swimming. In fresh water? No need for oils. That's for chlorine and salt. And other additives.
I have thigh length hair, and in fresh water I just braid.

In a salt pool, I soak my hair in fresh water (it's a no oils pool) and bun with spin pins that I've painted to avoid rust. I use the same ones, as this is still less than ideal.

At your length, I'd braid and not worry. Maybe two braids.

misty- basecamp? You go. Dreaming of the summit yet?

I don't climb anymore, but I do hike the 14ers in Colorado. Should get up to the sierras.

Its fresh water.
But I think I will oil for the hold and sun protection anyway, I still have some stubborn non-braid-loving hairs. :)

Carrie Ingalls
June 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Echoing what others have said: leave the glass sticks at home.

As to the oil, go for it! The purpose in this case is not to try and protect it from chemicals but it should help to tame the mane a bit and my any detangling a little easier while camping. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying the oil will provide "sun protection"...it is my understanding that there is nothing in oil that would provide any protection from the harmful UV rays of the sun. If you are looking for protection from the sun I would suggest some variety of head covering (personally I am partial to Buffs) such as a bandana.

When I'm backpacking I always make sure to oil (for detangling purposes) my hair before I hit the trail (and I don't bring any extra oil with me), and wear it up in a bun (my go to "failed" figure eight).

Also, depending on the condition of the water (algae growth etc) and how long you are camping you may want to make sure you let your hair dry completely from time to time to avoid potential funky aromas. (This coming from someone who puts her hair up soaking wet after washing...but I have known people who were swimming multiple times a day without letting their hair dry...and eventually realized it was starting to get funky/moldy).

Darkessa
June 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Echoing what others have said: leave the glass sticks at home.

As to the oil, go for it! The purpose in this case is not to try and protect it from chemicals but it should help to tame the mane a bit and my any detangling a little easier while camping. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying the oil will provide "sun protection"...it is my understanding that there is nothing in oil that would provide any protection from the harmful UV rays of the sun. If you are looking for protection from the sun I would suggest some variety of head covering (personally I am partial to Buffs) such as a bandana.

When I'm backpacking I always make sure to oil (for detangling purposes) my hair before I hit the trail (and I don't bring any extra oil with me), and wear it up in a bun (my go to "failed" figure eight).

Also, depending on the condition of the water (algae growth etc) and how long you are camping you may want to make sure you let your hair dry completely from time to time to avoid potential funky aromas. (This coming from someone who puts her hair up soaking wet after washing...but I have known people who were swimming multiple times a day without letting their hair dry...and eventually realized it was starting to get funky/moldy).

I think Im still gonna bring my glass sticks, only because they arent a huge deal to me AND they are suuuper thick anyway.

Also, I have heard that Coconut Oil can help protect from sun damage. Obviously nothing can be perfect when it comes to protection from the sun, but it cant hurt!! :)

I will be camping for 4 days, and I have no idea what the water will be like...
I plan on washing my hair at least once during the trip, and I will most likely let it dry several times throughout each day. So Im not hugely worried about that! Thank you for the tip though, I would have never thought of that!

BambooBeauty
June 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
We go camping a lot and I wear my hair it a French braid or two French pig tails. I leave them like that until they look messy and I take them out and re do them. I go in the water like that and sleep with my hair like that too. When I go camping I don't use shampoo I just oil my length to protect it before I braid.

Darkessa
June 19th, 2013, 02:22 PM
We go camping a lot and I wear my hair it a French braid or two French pig tails. I leave them like that until they look messy and I take them out and re do them. I go in the water like that and sleep with my hair like that too. When I go camping I don't use shampoo I just oil my length to protect it before I braid.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking, except I cant sleep with braids... For some reason it just drives me nuts.
SO! I use a satin cap, and I will while camping. :D
Thank you!

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 10:56 PM
When I'm camping, I just put my hair in a braid with an ouchless band every day.