PDA

View Full Version : So a Hair Dresser Automatically Knows Better?

MadHatter
August 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM
No, I don't think so.
This isn't a rant about hair dressers, but about perception.
My grandmother's hair dresser is, no doubt, very good at what she does. I had gone to her to see if there was anything she could do to pull the henna out of my hair, but she couldn't think of anything that wouldn't destroy my hair. I applaud her for being honest with me, when, I'm afraid, so many other hair dressers would just go ahead and bleach.
My grandmother went to her today to get her hair cut. When she got back, she told me S (the stylist) was talking about how pretty my red hair was, and that I should start applying chemical dye (yes, I know, even henna is chemical, everything is chemical. But I'm talking harsh, synthetic stuff here) to the roots if I wanted to keep up with the red. I automatically said something to the effect of "Nope, chemical color is damaging and red fades like you wouldn't believe." My dad said something like "Well, have her do it, she's a professional, and she knows what she's talking about." Yeah? I'm sure she's more knowledgeable than I am in many respects (where hair is concerned), but chemical dye is damaging no matter who puts it on your head. AND RED FADES. Anybody who has used chemical red can attest to that.
I don't care if someone went to beauty school. That doesn't mean that chemicals will suddenly become harmless in their hands.
Seriously :rolleyes:

manderly
August 29th, 2008, 11:24 PM
There are so many people out there who just don't have a clue what they're talking about. I tend to bite my tongue when I don't know facts.

I bought some nutratint from a health food store yesterday and told the girl who was helping me that the orange in my hair was henna and I wanted to blend with my natural color. She then told me that henna washes out. I tried hard not to roll my eyes and said, "no, no it doesn't. It's quite permanent." Sigh.

Barca
August 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Oh yes...red fades the quickest out of any chemical dye color- I don't care who does it! It starts going from red to brown in a matter of about a week. Keep up with your henna, it's beautiful!

manderly
August 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Oh, PS.

I had red strips done in the front of my hair when I was in college. First they stripped my hair to white (I know this makes colors fade even faster) then colored red. I went from blood red to pumpkin orange after my first wash.

Red sucks chemically, and is notoriously known as the most difficult color to maintain.

Rini
August 29th, 2008, 11:31 PM
This is not specific to hairdressers, but there is a sad lack of "alternative" methods out there. Obviously, henna doesn't earn a hairdresser money, so they don't learn about it. Similarly, alternative medicines are mocked by pharmacists as they don't make them money. Sadly, I think it's all about money :(

I quit hairdressers long ago. I was always very frustrated with their methods and attitude. With much detailed research and some experience, I find that I am more knowledgeable than they are (even in chemical colouring).

Stick with what you are doing, your hair is breathtaking!

spidermom
August 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Since you asked about pulling henna out of your hair, maybe the stylist thought you would like chemical red better because it fades.

Darkhorse1
August 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Sigh. It's a sad statement when people believe a person is 'qualified' because they are trained. I mean, yes, she could apply your dye for you--better because she can get to places you can't. But, so could a friend of yours. It doesn't have to be a pro to apply henna. Just someone who can paint, correct? And if you like the results of henna rather than the harsher chemicals, why does it matter to your family?

*shakes head*. I've seen some pretty bad dye jobs---and from good colorists. Accidents happen, so does this have to occur for people to realize that ANY pro--doctor to hair stylist/colorist, can make mistakes?

I'd reccomend a good colorist if you wanted something really obscure, that resulted in needing to strip your hair of it's color (an east indian girl I taught wanted four blue streaks, and had a hair dresser do it as they had to strip the dark from her hair first. It came out amazing! Subtle, but amazing!) to apply a funky color, but heck---if you are comfortable doing it, go for it!

I'm not. I've got a lot of hair and I prefer someone to do it for me. I use a demi-permanent color because it's got no peroxide, and am happy with the results. :)

GlennaGirl
August 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
SM brings up a good point. The hairdresser may have been thinking that the OP *wanted* a color that would fade out and that she could eventually change. I agree that red is the hardest chemical color to "keep in". I had SO MUCH frustration with chemical reds. I read somewhere that the red color molecule is larger than other colors and that's why it washes out quickly. Or something to that effect--I may be oversimplifying.

Xandergrammy
August 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I have nothing to say except that every time I see your siggy pic, I'm in awe of your perfect looking hair. :inlove:

longhairedfairy
August 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Ditto to what Xandergrammy said :)

pixiegirl
August 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
You have very beautiful hair MH. You are right to think for yourself and not take risks.

ladyshannonanne
August 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hair dressers are taught a certain set of values, shall we say, when it comes to hair. It's like growing up in a certain church; you learn one way of doing things, and then suddenly, everything else is wrong.

There are very few stylists (except the rad ladies at the Indian salon down the street!) who understand Henna. Most of them think that if you're talking about Henna, you mean cheap, metal-ridden stuff. That's the only kind they know about, and they don't realize that good, pure Henna will give the nicest, richest longest-lasting red hair they've ever seen.

Hair stylists really don't know everything. (Except mine! Hee hee!) But, seriously, I've had my hair screwed up by stylists more times than I've had it done the way I wanted it.

Hatsumomo
August 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
My dad tries to pull that one when I talk about my ex-hairdresser coming out with a load of rubbish. That said, it's not just hairdressers....some people can be so naive of other people's knowledge.

jojo
August 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM
well she was right on one score you do have pretty red hair!

MadHatter
August 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Since you asked about pulling henna out of your hair, maybe the stylist thought you would like chemical red better because it fades.

That's probably what she was thinking.
But, I'm not gonna go that route. It'll end in damaged hair/scalp and frustration.
I wasn't put out by the stylist, just by the perception that many people have that somebody who went to school for something is automatically going to know better than anyone else, and we shouldn't think about things for ourselves.

That said, it's not just hairdressers....some people can be so naive of other people's knowledge.
Exactly!

I really think it's too bad that hair stylists aren't taught about BAQ henna. When I was consulting with S, she starting talking about how she would be especially reluctant to do anything with my hair because she didn't know how the henna I used was "based". I'm assuming she was thinking that any and all henna one can buy has metallic compounds in it. I flat out told her that the henna I used was henna, henna, and only henna. Maybe a twig would sneak in on occasion. But she still kinda acted like she didn't think I knew what I was talking about.

And to all who complimented my hair, thank you :)
I just wish it wasn't such a pain to do roots. Then I wouldn't have gone to see a stylist to begin with.

sahiba
August 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Don't go according to the stylist .... just follow LHC for hair advice . "Its safe and without any side effect... and very very effective ." :wink: :)

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 11:36 AM
I wasn't put out by the stylist, just by the perception that many people have that somebody who went to school for something is automatically going to know better than anyone else, and we shouldn't think about things for ourselves.

I think that's pretty natural, actually. I assume that our accountant knows better how to manage the details of the bookwork I do for our business every day simply because she was trained for it and I wasn't. When she tells me to change something, I do so without question, even if it doesn't make sense to me.

Everybody assumes that I know not only medical terminology but can diagnose symptoms simply because I've been typing reports about it for 30+ years (and a lot of times, they're right).

RoseRedDead
August 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
This is not specific to hairdressers, but there is a sad lack of "alternative" methods out there. Obviously, henna doesn't earn a hairdresser money, so they don't learn about it. Similarly, alternative medicines are mocked by pharmacists as they don't make them money. Sadly, I think it's all about money :(

Rini, you have hit the nail on the head. If hairdressers cannot profit enough from it, they won't sell it/do it/whatever. It's just basic logic.

I've never coloured my hair, nor have I been to a hairdresser in about... 2 years, maybe. But I am aware how difficult it is (from listening to others) to keep red chemical colour looking good.

Actually <scratches head for a moment>, you'd think that people would figure out that henna is the EASIEST red, insofar as it IS permanent, even if the application is messy.

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 01:21 PM
My hair stylist told me that henna is kind of like putting a coat of shellac or varnish on your hair. It seals in moisture; it also seals out moisture.

MadHatter
August 31st, 2008, 07:33 PM
My hair stylist told me that henna is kind of like putting a coat of shellac or varnish on your hair. It seals in moisture; it also seals out moisture.

Hm. I think if that were the case, henna would be removable. Personally, my hair can be as dry or as moisturized as it was pre-henna, depending on if I'm conditioning it.

Nat242
August 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM

I'm not sure about that. If anything, my hair retains moisture better since I started using henna - I don't know why, but it does. Prior to using henna deep treatments did very little for my hair. I know some people find henna to be drying in the long term (many people seem to experience a temporary drying effect for a day or so after application), but that effect seems to be uncommon, and certainly not universal.

GlennaGirl
August 31st, 2008, 07:52 PM
I have no moisture problems from henna. :confused::confused::confused:

spidermom
August 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hm. I think if that were the case, henna would be removable. Personally, my hair can be as dry or as moisturized as it was pre-henna, depending on if I'm conditioning it.

Well, I don't know about that. Have you ever tried to remove shellac or varnish from wood? It's not easy.

Anyway, I won't assume my hair stylist knows all there is to know about henna since I know salons don't use it. But maybe henna is sealing in moisture for those of you who express satisfaction with it. My hair seemed brittle when I had henna on it.

MadHatter
August 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
Well, I doubt that shellac or varnish are truly comparable to Lawsone.:)

From hennaforhair.com (http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/)

When you hear that henna has “metal”, “lead”, or “coats the hair” and “leaves it brittle”, that refers to a compound henna dye, full of these metallic salts.
Hair bleach, permanent hair color, and permanent wave solution are a disastrous combination with compound (metallic salt) henna dyes. These can result in green, purple, or totally fried hair.
Some pre-mixed hennas have para-phenylenediamine. Some pre-mixed hennas have very little henna whatsoever.
Body art quality henna does NOT have metals, lead, nor does it “coat the hair”. This website is dedicated to providing you with the information to learn to dye your hair with 100% pure henna, indigo, cassia and amla without using pre-mixed "compound henna".

prosperina
August 31st, 2008, 11:58 PM
I ran into a hairstylist once who didn't know henna was a plant. :rolleyes: They don't know about henna because they're not trained to use it. Therefore I consider most of them not qualified to do anything color related to my hair.

vampodrama
August 31st, 2008, 11:58 PM
henna has done absolute wonders to my hair. but yeah, I have also head many times from "wise" people that henna will destroy my hair in about, oh, 3 days or so, because it's omg so awful and my head will explode if I don't stop using henna immediately.

those wise people have been either hairdressers or people who have been brainwashed by hairdressers (you know, the people who believe that bleaching hair by a professional will create no damage whatsoever etc).

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
I'm glad she was honest to you and I agree she thought the red would fade out be less perminate.

chen bao jun
September 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Like, everything I click on today is very old and has been already resolved. Odd.

kganihanova
September 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM
Well that would be previous poster, who seems to want to up her post count :)

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Well that would be previous poster, who seems to want to up her post count :)

Agreed. *Very* odd, and creepy!

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
No, I don't think so.
This isn't a rant about hair dressers, but about perception.
My grandmother's hair dresser is, no doubt, very good at what she does. I had gone to her to see if there was anything she could do to pull the henna out of my hair, but she couldn't think of anything that wouldn't destroy my hair. I applaud her for being honest with me, when, I'm afraid, so many other hair dressers would just go ahead and bleach.
My grandmother went to her today to get her hair cut. When she got back, she told me S (the stylist) was talking about how pretty my red hair was, and that I should start applying chemical dye (yes, I know, even henna is chemical, everything is chemical. But I'm talking harsh, synthetic stuff here) to the roots if I wanted to keep up with the red. I automatically said something to the effect of "Nope, chemical color is damaging and red fades like you wouldn't believe." My dad said something like "Well, have her do it, she's a professional, and she knows what she's talking about." Yeah? I'm sure she's more knowledgeable than I am in many respects (where hair is concerned), but chemical dye is damaging no matter who puts it on your head. AND RED FADES. Anybody who has used chemical red can attest to that.
I don't care if someone went to beauty school. That doesn't mean that chemicals will suddenly become harmless in their hands.
Seriously :rolleyes:

I agree. It sounds like she doesn’t know too much about henna and it doesn’t make sense that she is recommending to start coloring your hair when you came to her to remove henna.

neko_kawaii
September 23rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Agreed. *Very* odd, and creepy!

I'm working on the theory that she is a ghost in the computer but the evidence I have suggests I am also a ghost and I'm pretty sure I am not. . .

Jacqueline, come dispel the myth!

millyaulait
September 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Today really has been full of thread resurrections! :magic:

spidermom
September 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
There are many old threads arising from the vaults like zombies to stalk the forums "brainsssssssssssss, brainsssssssssssssss"

Panth
September 23rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
There's always the report button if you feel it's annoying...

stachelbeere
September 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
subscribing for the lols :)
maybe she simply doesn't read the posting dates? I was confused at first - and on a very long, old but active thread (such as the 'show me your paranda' thread) I replied to a comment from the first page which brought it to the last page. Awkward moment for me :/

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
subscribing for the lols :)
maybe she simply doesn't read the posting dates? I was confused at first - and on a very long, old but active thread (such as the 'show me your paranda' thread) I replied to a comment from the first page which brought it to the last page. Awkward moment for me :/

Nope, I'd say what she does is very well calculated. People started calling her out on her latest 2008 bender, so she starting reviving threads from exactly a year ago, maybe hoping we wouldn't notice it says 2012 instead of 2013.

stachelbeere
September 23rd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Nope, I'd say what she does is very well calculated. People started calling her out on her latest 2008 bender, so she starting reviving threads from exactly a year ago, maybe hoping we wouldn't notice it says 2012 instead of 2013.

well it's hard not to notice... if I wanted to up my 'posts count' I would comment multiple times on more recent threads and attack all the other topics like the ones on the friendship board etc. But then again I'm me not her. Why would anyone care how many posts you have, it's not like you're getting a prize for that... hmmm

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
well it's hard not to notice... if I wanted to up my 'posts count' I would comment multiple times on more recent threads and attack all the other topics like the ones on the friendship board etc. But then again I'm me not her. Why would anyone care how many posts you have, it's not like you're getting a prize for that... hmmm

Personal accomplishment, perhaps? Either way, I think it's very inconsiderate of people who have made recent threads and whose current issues and questions are now buried under two pages of un-dead posts.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
Personal accomplishment, perhaps? Either way, I think it's very inconsiderate of people who have made recent threads and whose current issues and questions are now buried under two pages of un-dead posts.

This.^^ Not to mention, it's just plain... annoying!!!

stachelbeere
September 23rd, 2013, 04:00 PM

could this be some kind of unconscious trolling? :)

Squiggy
September 23rd, 2013, 04:05 PM

Plus the fact that she has been doing this all day long, with probably over a dozen old posts! Maybe more, I'm not going to go count! Inconsiderate to people with current threads and to everyone who now has to read time stamps on every thread. Can the mods do anything?