PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hull Dye success!! Bleached blonde hair to brown (PICS)

10000days
June 17th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Hello everyone! I’m thrilled to share my walnut hull dye experience!

First things first- here are my before and after photos:
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/NM09_2010/LHCwalnutpost.jpg
(In the second photo I’m comparing a henndigo experiment to my roots- so just ignore that part.)

Naturally I have ash brown hair, and (stupidly) last year I decided to bleach it to a light blonde- regretted it about a month later after the condition seriously deteriorated, and I started losing heaps of hair every time I went to get my roots done. As a final goodbye to bleach, I had foils done on my roots for two consecutive appointments (about 2 months apart) to make the demarcation line less noticeable.

I started thinking about how to get it close to my natural colour without touching anything that would damage my cuticles any more like ammonia or peroxide (yes, even avoiding dark hair dyes). I did a thousand henndigo and henna/indigo two-step experiments but they always turned out too red or too grey/green, I researched Elumen but couldn’t afford it and got too impatient to go through another round of experimentation. I also read that Elumen fades and that walnut hull dye doesn’t, so I opted for the latter. I also tried colour-deposit only dyes but they all had red tones that I was trying to avoid.

(Please keep in mind while reading that I had over-bleached hair when I started: not stretchy over-bleached, just dry over-bleached. So you may need to tweak the process to suit your needs.)

Preparing the dye

(1) Buy “black walnut hull powder”. I got mine off Ebay. 50g of powder is enough for three BSL-Waist length applications.

(2) Boil the powder in tap water for an hour each day for three days (don’t forget to add water when it evaporates otherwise it will become a useless crispy powder, and don't close the lid of the pot because it may go alllll overrr thhhe kitchennn. Both of these happened to me; so learn from me). When you’re not boiling it, let it sit in the pot. I just left the liquid in the iron pot under the sink and reapplied whenever I felt like getting messy- until I ran out of the mixture. (I think boiling is also important for killing any potential mold that wants to grow.)

(3) Also, use an iron pot: to get an ashy colour you need to use a ‘mordant’, I don’t know the science behind it but basically the dye needs to react with a metal like iron.

Applying the dye
(1) Get a friend. If you get a friend to help you, you will be a much happier walnut user than I was… Apply like you would hair dye or henna: thoroughly cover the hair. It is just water and powder so it is RUNNY. Don’t think you can apply it neatly- it is impossible.

(2) Use heat. The dye will NOT WORK, that is, it will not stain your hair, without heat. I used hot rollers one time, and lay in front of a heater the other time: both were good. You basically need ‘one dose’ of heat; not three hours in front of a heater (although you can definitely try this and it may be good but I just don’t think it would be bearable). A heat cap would be perfect but I don’t have one and couldn’t buy one locally (Ebay let me down with a minimum cost of $130…).

If using hot rollers: I recommend just wrapping the hair over the rollers (make sure the outer surface is not made of metal) then covering the roller in gladwrap and foil on top of that to keep the heat in. You can also direct a hairdryer at the rollers to keep them warmer for longer.
If using heat cap/heater: Have lots of gladwrap or a shower cap to wrap around your hair once you’re done applying the dye. I would set up pillows on the ground outside or on a floor that’s not covered in carpet unless you’re in the mood for a renovation.

Disproving myths
The dye does (partly) rinse out; it’s not as super permanent as people say it is.
It does NOT stain everything it touches. Perhaps the paranoia of the permanency of walnut hull dye relates to fresh hulls and not dry powdered ones.
Advice
Don’t do a deep treatment for a while after using the dye because it strips it out of your hair.
Other
This one is just a semi-warning (“semi” because I can’t be sure this had to do with the walnut): I did feel sick (of the vomit/vertigo sort) when I was using this stuff for two or three days straight in an unventilated bathroom. So if the walnut did cause this then I recommend you boil the walnut hull powder outside or open all the windows in the kitchen, and apply the dye outside or turn on all the ventilation in the bathroom.
Also, after you rinse it out and condition your hair will have a waxy texture. I haven’t (yet) used shampoo straight after an application so I’m not sure what the effect is.

I hope some of you find this helpful! I’m here to answer any questions with DELIGHT :)

morrigan*
June 17th, 2013, 03:53 AM
It looks great! I was interested in that when i was trying to darken my hair, but never get around. Can you use fresh hulls too ?

10000days
June 17th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Can you use fresh hulls too ?

Yeah you can, there is heaps of stuff online about it- you just need to google it. The process is the same though regardless whether you use fresh ones or powder. :)

morrigan*
June 17th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Okay thank you ! I might decide to try that :D

PolarCathy
June 17th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I just have an idea to throw in (worked well with runny indigo): thicken it up, after the last boiling-cooling down phase, obviously, with xanthan or guar gum. That way you'll get a gel-like consistency. Gelatin, no, it will be drippy.

morrigan*
June 17th, 2013, 05:01 AM
This would probably work great, i know that gelatin doesn't work because of heat i tried once, but cant remember why.

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Your hair looks great.

millyaulait
June 17th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Wow, that's amazing! Looks so beautiful too. :)

mamivampire
June 17th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Your hair looks really good like that! Congrats on the successful dye :o

10000days
June 17th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I just have an idea to throw in (worked well with runny indigo): thicken it up, after the last boiling-cooling down phase, obviously, with xanthan or guar gum. That way you'll get a gel-like consistency. Gelatin, no, it will be drippy.

Oh cool! I will definitely try this and let you know how it goes :) Thank you!

10000days
June 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Your hair looks great.

Thank you!

Wow, that's amazing! Looks so beautiful too. :)

I know- I find it hard to believe that this has worked so well! I thought I wouldn't have nice hair until it grew out! Thanks so much!

Your hair looks really good like that! Congrats on the successful dye :o

Thank you! :) I've always felt more like myself in brown or black :)

jeanniet
June 17th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Black walnut contains juglone, a substance that is extremely toxic to plants and somewhat toxic to animals. It's also an allergen to some people, so doing a patch test first is a good idea. What may be more concerning is that inhaling the dust (as in woodworking) seems to be pretty hazardous, so I suspect that the ill effects you experienced were due to inhalation toxicity. I had considered using the dye in the past, but decided the negatives outweighed the potential benefits as a dye. Anyway, if anyone wants to make the dye from powder, I'd suggest the use of a mask to avoid breathing any dust.

The color does look good. I'm just not sure it's worth it.

10000days
June 17th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Hi jeanniet :) : Yeah I researched the juglone toxin before I started but everything I read about related to plants; and I really don't think a biological comparison can be made between humans and plants! A number of people online said a few bad things about walnut hulls but not once did I read something specific that related to humans. So on balance I thought it was safe and went for it.

I agree with the dust inhalation warning- but that stops being an issue after the powder is mixed with water. It's replaced by the fumes issue, hence my suggestion to make sure the dye is made/used in a ventilated place.

And thank you- I love the colour, I'm so happy others think it looks good too! :)

I really want to emphasise to potential walnut dye users, in my opinion, it's a really, really good dye option for bleached blondes wanting to go darker. I'm not going to need the dye much because I want to grow out my natural colour. So if you're a natural blonde and want to go dark then perhaps walnut dye is not the best option for you because you'd have to rub the dye into your scalp every month. But for those who just want to darken the lengths and leave them be- walnut dye is heaven sent!

MaryO
June 18th, 2013, 02:02 AM
It looks lovely! :-)

10000days
June 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM
It looks lovely! :-)
Thank you so much! :)

Kat
June 18th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Pretty! My natural color is very like your "before" pics, and when my mom was dyeing some yarn with black walnut dye (fresh husks, though), I tossed in some hair I collected from my brush. I was surprised to find that more than anything, it brought out the red tones in my hair, rather than making it darker brown... and it looks like it had the same effect on you. I'm considering adding some black walnut to my next henna gloss. Very nice!

curlywurlygurly
June 22nd, 2013, 04:15 AM
The colour looks lovely. Thanks for the tips

10000days
June 22nd, 2013, 05:03 AM
Pretty! My natural color is very like your "before" pics, and when my mom was dyeing some yarn with black walnut dye (fresh husks, though), I tossed in some hair I collected from my brush. I was surprised to find that more than anything, it brought out the red tones in my hair, rather than making it darker brown... and it looks like it had the same effect on you. I'm considering adding some black walnut to my next henna gloss. Very nice!

Thank you! It's definitely a warm brown but I would not go so far as to call it the red-brown that henna gives.

The colour looks lovely. Thanks for the tips

Thanks and you're welcome! :)

long&blonde
June 23rd, 2013, 08:39 PM
so very pretty! well done!

10000days
June 23rd, 2013, 10:03 PM
so very pretty! well done!

Thank you!! :)

Cassie_
July 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure how long ago you dyed, but it's been a month since your original post. How is the color holding up?

10000days
July 18th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Hey Cassie, I dyed my hair with walnuts in the same week that I made the original post. The colour is not really holding up that well; I've had to re-do it many times. The parts of my hair that were much more damaged (a horizontal strip of my hair was accidentally badly over-bleached) have absorbed the colour really well and permanently. But above and below this area the colour fades quickly. The dye never fully comes out but after 2 washes it's closer to the 'before' pic than the 'after' pic, sadly.

I love the conditioning effects and my hair feels stronger so I'll keep it up but I'm disappointed that the dye doesn't stick around for longer... Still working on how to make it more permanent...

UStoUKmomma
July 18th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Looks like a gorgeous shade of brown! Love it! If I ever decide to ditch my blonde (I lighten...), I will keep this in mind.

UStoUKmomma
July 18th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Ooh, I just read the last post...what a shame the color doesn't last well! Have you tried with fresh vs powder?

Vik
July 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
If I may chime in. I can actually help here (I think). I had my hair highlighted to almost a light blonde (after having gone dark brown all over) at some point and this is how I safely got back to my natural color. Naturally I am somewhere between a dark honey blonde and a light golden brown. I can HIGHLY recommend the below, have used the lighter shades myself (Gold Blond, Copper Blond and Natural Brown) and know many people who (still and frequently) use those on dark(er) hair.

For something all-natural and good for hair, I would recommend a German organic/all-natural hair dye line by the manufacturer "Logona". Like I said I have personal experience with it and can vouch for it. The trick is to find the color you will be happy with. You can MIX different colors to get a shade you like.

Their colors are permanent, but like all natural products not as strong as conventional synth. chemicals.

There are two kinds, the powders, which have to be mixed with boiling water much like your hulls, and have to stay on for an hour or more, and are admittedly messy, but results are great.
The other one is their cream colors, no mixing, it goes on right out of the tube. Not as strong as the powders and some fading, but for your purpose you can achieve great results.

Read up on them, you can buy from their online shop, Amazon, or some health websites. One, maybe two applications and you are good to go. Pricey, but for what you are trying to do (which I have done before) it WORKS! At first it *may* (not always) feel a bit dryish, not too bad, that will go away on its own, but I can recommend this to help it along: http://www.logocos.us/logona/shop/product/1273-conditioner-spray

The company website with all the colors: http://www.logocos.us/logona/shop/category/91-all-hair-color
This site used to offer small samples, obviously no more, but has their own evaluations of the products which may be helpful: https://www.bewellstaywell.com/Logona-All-Natural-Herbal-Hair-Colors-p/logoherbcolor.htm

And no, I am not affiliated with any of the companies, but was in the same situation, had too light hair, grown to hate it and wanted to get rid of it yesterday, but didn't want to hurt it any further.

Hope this helps!

Cassie_
July 18th, 2013, 03:20 PM
10000days - Oh, I am sorry it has not been lasting longer. But I very much appreciate you keeping us updated on your results. It is such an interesting topic, and I am glad you started a thread about it.

Vik - Thank you also for your experience. The brand you are recommending is not related to walnut hull dye, do I understand that correctly? You are just giving an alternate recommendation on how someone might go from blond to their more natural brown? I am sure your suggestions will be very helpful to many, I was just a little confused because the thread is about walnut hull dye.

10000days
July 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Vik: Thanks so much for the info! I had a look at those links and I like the sound of it! The "Brown Umber" colour is actually made with walnut hulls (in partial answer to Cassie's question). I will do some more research on this Logona range but I'm afraid that any colour that I buy will turn out too warm/red/gold. I have a very cool natural tone.
Two days ago my order for Vegetal Color in ash blonde came through (which is a semi-permanent or temporary colour that is not made of natural ingredients like Logona), you can see it here: http://www.herbatintusa.com/semi-permanentvegetal.aspx, but unfortunately it comes out quite warm. I'm very surprised because the pictures online are basically grey (which is what I'm kind of going for)! So I suspect the same will happen with these...

I'm currently mixing this Vegetal dye with indigo and walnut dye to see if I can make it ashier... I might make a new thread about that if there's anything worth sharing. Do you know which colours from the Logona range I could mix to get a cool/ashy colour? Anyway, I'll do more research on Logona because I like the ingredients!

Cassie: I'm glad you're finding this interesting! I'll definitely update you if I find a way to make the walnut dye stick better.

10000days
July 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ooh, I just read the last post...what a shame the color doesn't last well! Have you tried with fresh vs powder?

I can't get my hands on fresh walnut hulls! *cries* I would be all over that if I could!

Vik
July 18th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Double post - internet issues apparently

Vik
July 18th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Cassie_ It is not pure walnut hull, but I posted it in order to help the original poster (10000days) with her dilemma.

10000days Yeah, it is quite difficult to get a cool tone out of anything natural, but if all else fails, try black tea (yeah, just the random tea bags you can buy in the store). Make very strong and (tricky part) dip the lengths (which are usually the hardest to dye as overprocessed hair doesn't want to take on color), then lean into the bowl/bucket or whatever you can use that works and last but not least lean over a sink or the bathtub and dump the broth on and leave on as long as you possibly can. Not extremely cool tone, but not as warm as most other solutions. Yes, I have tried that as well and yes, it worked on me. And yes, it was tedious and ridiculous but also good for the hair AND I got it darkened.

As with anything, do a strand test first.

As for walnut hulls (to get away from the o/t) I have read, heard and been told by people who have actually done it that the fresh shells are most intense, last significantly better and do not omit those cumbersome odors. I am sure you can buy regular walnuts in a store. Get cracking. ;) Yes, that works. A mess, but it IS the same thing. As for residual pesticides which may or may not be present I cannot make that call, you'd have to investigate locally.

10000days
July 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Vik, I'll give the black tea a try, thanks.
Oh don't worry, I stand test like a mad person every time I think of something new to do to my hair. God, if I didn't, the world would not be a happy place- I've created some pretty horrendous colours in my tests.

Regarding walnuts- the shell is the hard casing, whereas the hull is the fleshy part covering the shell. It's this hull (fresh) that I can't get near me; and I've read that the hull is where the dye is most plentiful. But I have PLENTY of shells...maybe I'll try it now. Okay I'm off to boil walnut shells- will update as soon as I get the stuff in my hair! :)

Vik
July 19th, 2013, 05:48 AM
10000days - oh, several health food stores sell walnuts in shell and HULL around here (in the colder months - so I thought since you are in Aussieland you would have the "cooler months" now).

10000days
July 19th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Vik, you know what, I might try calling around. Someone may have them. Haha what's with the "cooler months"- it's just cooler months. We do get cold weather, you know haha :)

seamonster
July 20th, 2013, 02:00 AM
It came out really nice, and does it provide any conditioning benefits to the hair or make it dry like henna?

Anywhere
July 20th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I wanted to do this years ago but never was able to get hulls.. and I read somewhere that the hulls are poisonous back then too.. (I was like 12 when I looked it up though..) it looks really good though!

10000days
July 20th, 2013, 10:32 PM
It came out really nice, and does it provide any conditioning benefits to the hair or make it dry like henna?

No, it definitely doesn't condition my hair but it has a similar effect to cassia (ie, hair seems stronger but its not softer). Although someone did tell me my hair looked softer (again, like cassia!). It's not drying.

I wanted to do this years ago but never was able to get hulls.. and I read somewhere that the hulls are poisonous back then too.. (I was like 12 when I looked it up though..) it looks really good though!
Thanks!
Poisonous to plants, I think; but it's probably safer to approach anything new with caution :)