PDA

View Full Version : emergency hair spray/sugar water/other?

olivelover
June 17th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I'm a little nervous, as today is my first braiding-for-money experience, and I'm doing a girl's hair for her defending her final paper.
The part I'm most nervous about though is not even the actual braiding, but that she's coming late in the evening, while her event is in the morning, and even though she's not planning to sleep, I need to be sure her style stays put for quite a longtime.
she suggested hair spray, but I'm worried, partly because it's not good for the hair, partly because I've never used it. I've never used sugar water either, do I'd be happy if any of you could share your experience with that.

Her hair is quite similar in texture to mine, if that's of importance. (1b/f/ii)

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2013, 05:51 AM
My hair held well with it.

ravenreed
June 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I use occasionally use hair spray without problems. I make certain that I clarify and condition before brushing my hair.

shutterpillar
June 17th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I use alcohol-free hair spray. Mostly because the alcohol makes my scalp get welts all over it (I cant use shampoo with it in the ingredients list either), but i've never had any problems out of it and it holds very well. I use the little spritz bottle, not the aerosol can. Actually, the exact one I use is Loreal Everstyle Alcohol-free Styling Spray. Just ask her to do as ravenreed mentioned and wash her hair well before she brushes it.

Firefox7275
June 17th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Just use a well reviewed hairspray like Elnette: it's not damaging with occasional use and a fine mist, plus your customer has asked for that. Don't 'soak' or 'wet' her hair in alcohol, keep moving the can around the head and build up layers as the alcohol rapidly evaporates off. Sciencey Hairblog looked at hairsprayed hair under the microscope and it was drenching in alcohol that caused damage not light layers IIRC.

Honey and sugar are water based humectants, you don't know how that will behave if she gets caught in the rain, sweats, gets damp in the shower, the weather is humid. Plus she can mist again over hairspray in the morning, you can't just keep applying layers of honey or sugar water or you end up with weird crystalised/ crunchy hair.

Agree she should wash not comb the hairspray out if a good deal is used, possibly undo the whole braid under the shower and coated in a slippy shampoo?

Kaelee
June 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Also, honey/sugar might attract bees or other insects. That wouldn't be good. :run:

olivelover
June 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Thank you so much for your advice! I will use alcohol-free hair spray, and explain the part about washing it out evore bushing. I guess, it really shouldn't bedamaging if it's just once for a special occasion. Thanks again! :blossom::blossom::blossom: