PDA

View Full Version : update on hair status. The good and the bad...

mazza
June 16th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hi all

Good to be back here after a little break :)

First off good news, my hair is at shoulder length and I was looking to go back to the salon to tidy the mess up and just even it out the back. It looks wild and bushy.

And the bad news, my Male Pattern Boldness has started to get a bit worse. On my crown area, it looks like a mirrored "L" shape hair line. This has put me off going to the salon now.

I was on a oil mixture but I have held this back a few ago because I dont think it was doing anything and I was getting tired from mixing oils every three days. I still take my multivitamins and have a handful of pumpkin seeds everyday.
I am really lost to where I should start :(
I am not keen on going on going with Propecia or Minoxidil because of the side effect risks. Theres Nizoral but would this strip the nutrients of my hair?

I did get the blood test for my thyroid and iron levels and it was all fine. I couldnt get referred to a dermatologist because the doctors say its down to age but I am 29 :| But even then, the prices to go to see a dermatologist privately are pricey for each session makes me wonder if its worth the price. I did ask around and most dermatologist want a blood test and charge you £150 for the first session only and take it from there.

Whats interesting is I brought Aubrey Biotin shampoo and it improved my hair line. and this was only from using it for two weeks. I could stick with it however I dont know if this will fully cure my hair loss/MPB or if it temporary thickens the hair. See the list of ingredients on iherb:
http://www.iherb.com/Aubrey-Organics-Men-s-Stock-Ginseng-Biotin-Shampoo-8-fl-oz-237-ml/10462

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

mashy
June 16th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Hi all

Good to be back here after a little break :)

First off good news, my hair is at shoulder length and I was looking to go back to the salon to tidy the mess up and just even it out the back. It looks wild and bushy.

And the bad news, my Male Pattern Boldness has started to get a bit worse. On my crown area, it looks like a mirrored "L" shape hair line. This has put me off going to the salon now.

I was on a oil mixture but I have held this back a few ago because I dont think it was doing anything and I was getting tired from mixing oils every three days. I still take my multivitamins and have a handful of pumpkin seeds everyday.
I am really lost to where I should start :(
I am not keen on going on going with Propecia or Minoxidil because of the side effect risks. Theres Nizoral but would this strip the nutrients of my hair?

I did get the blood test for my thyroid and iron levels and it was all fine. I couldnt get referred to a dermatologist because the doctors say its down to age but I am 29 :| But even then, the prices to go to see a dermatologist privately are pricey for each session makes me wonder if its worth the price. I did ask around and most dermatologist want a blood test and charge you £150 for the first session only and take it from there.

Whats interesting is I brought Aubrey Biotin shampoo and it improved my hair line. and this was only from using it for two weeks. I could stick with it however I dont know if this will fully cure my hair loss/MPB or if it temporary thickens the hair. See the list of ingredients on iherb:
http://www.iherb.com/Aubrey-Organics-Men-s-Stock-Ginseng-Biotin-Shampoo-8-fl-oz-237-ml/10462

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I really am not an expert at all this stuff but after I had some hair loss because of hormonal issues I started taking "hair skin and nails" from Superdrug and found it improved it loads. I contains biotin and if that's helped before it may be worth trying.
Its not expensive and is sometimes on offer, also it is basically just vitamins so I doubt there is any risk in trying that.

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I agree the vitamins help and a trim would be nice.

faellen
June 16th, 2013, 04:53 PM
29 isn't as young as you think when it comes to MPB. My ex started balding at 20. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you... Personally was going to suggest Minoxidil but yeah, side effects is a risk :( I hope you find something that works for you.

spirals
June 17th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Castor oil? It's helped my eyebrows grow back somewhat with regular use in the last year. They started balding in my late 30s, just as happened to my mom.

mazza
June 17th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks all for the replies :)
The vitamins I am on is called: Multibionta Vitality. Its got biotin as well. I notice superdrugs have taken your product off the their website. I was originally on hair-vit by healthaid last year. I stopped taking them because I thought my IBS was causing it but looking at my diet change and noting what my stomach doesnt like, I dont think this would have caused any harm. I still have some spare so I can continue using them again.

I was actually on castor oil since this February. Again, it did improve instant thickness of hair. If I continue using castor oil three times a week, would it rid me of my MPB? I might need to be a bit more patient with the castor oil and see how it works towards the end of the year.

spirals
June 17th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I've gotten lax, but at first I was using it every night. But then, I wash my face every day, whereas one doesn't wash hair every day. Pinkycat said it helped her eyebrows a bit, too.

DancingQueen
June 18th, 2013, 02:46 AM
If you are looking for pills, be careful not to take too many supplements; that can be very unhealthy. That being said, I had really good results with Priorin (there is a thread somewhere on the boards). 1 pill with breakfast, and 2 with dinner, and my hair was growing like never before. It did get thicker, which was the whole point.

I know castor oil should be really good as well, but personally, I prefer coconut oil. Both of them are said to help regenerate hair growth. Stay clear of almond oil though; which is a natural hair inhibitor.

I hope you find a way to fix it; good luck with everything. :)

mazza
June 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
whats Lax? :)

I would mind trying priorin. I was on hair-vit. Check out the ingredients in the formula tab:
http://www.healthaid.co.uk/shopexd.aspx?id=683

Agree with taking too many supplements. With priorin, theres only four listed ingredients on the website but I could be wrong:
http://www.priorin.se/sv/kvinnor/produktfakta/priorin-kapslar/#ingredienser
Can you recommend a safe place to order priorin to the UK or stick with hair-vit?

FYI, anyone interested here is the priorin thread its here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98006

I really should try to go to the hairdressers again and get a good clean up but I need to bit brave going there first and look for a good hair dresser.

TazM
June 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
My partner is bald, well mostly bald, has the Friar Tuck look going on though he shaves his head so you don't really notice, but he went on a bit of a detox diet recently, nothing severe but he cut down on the alcohol, still has some of the weekend, but started taking liver detox tablets and evening primrose oil, and it's the craziest thing, his hair has started coming back! I should post some photos because I've been tracking it, lol, this has only been going on or about three weeks and it started happening really quick, but he had been drinking alcohol pretty much every day for the last 10 years. So from what I've heard hair loss in men does have a lot to do with the liver. He had a friend also who was losing his hair and did this extreme liver cleanse that I wouldn't recommend, where you drink nothing but apple cider vinegar with water for a week and then swallow some bi-carb soda or something and it's mean to purge all the toxins out of your liver, well he did it and it worked and his hair came back and has been back ever since, but again that sounds really dangerous to me, though the point is it must be liver related. And then also people claim that evening primrose oil helps with balding and that was a bit of a fluke because he'd bought fish oil tablets but didn't like the after taste and I had a big jar of evening primrose oil I wasn't using so I said maybe he should take that instead and he did so I wonder if the two combined is what is making his hair come back?

mazza
June 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info TazM
I heard Fo-ti apparently does the same for liver cleansing. There was a big thread on another forum about EPO and using it with fish oils:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/61939-Treatment-of-male-pattern-baldness-results-from-1988!
And the link it talks about:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0309086.html

Its a lot to take in but I will try further reading into it again but in short, it looks like you combine both EPO and cod liver tablets together to combat Male Pattern boldness but please correct me if I am wrong?

I went back to Hair-vit and I notice I seemed to be shedding less within taking them for a week and annoyingly I run out of the stuff. So I need to decide to go back on hair vit or change to Priorin. I guess if I go on Priorin, I can still take a Evening primerose oil and multivitamin table with cod liver oil (seven seas multi vitamin). Hair-vit has a lot going for it but its hard to juggle it if you want to take multivitamins and avoid taking excess B Vitamins.