PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if this is a good "timing" idea...what do you think?

Barca
August 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Okay, basically my plan is to not cut my hair until I graduate get my MA. I plan on trimming at the end of each semester. I think I may be able to keep the last 6 or so inches of my (relaxed) hair w/o just hacking it all off in one shot. My hair is between APL and BSL now, so in the 4-4.5 years it will take to finish my BA and get my MA I should end up with a beautiful head of hair :). I'm doing it this way so that I can look forward to two things at once and one goal can distract me from the other haha! Of course by that point I won't WANT to cut my hair, but after about two years of growing my hair I tend to get scissor happy and cut it into so new style and lose my length or do something damaging to it that makes me HAVE to cut it off. If I can just push through I'll be fine... The next few years will be filled with browsing LHC forums, oil treatments and hopefully one day henna! I love those beautiful reds!

Okay, so there's my plan and I'm stickin' to it :D

(Hopefully this is on the right board this time! If not, sorry mods..I haven't fully explored the forum yet :blushing:)

Mitzy
August 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah, that actually sounds like a good plan to me!
I set those kind of goals for myself all the time and I have found they help a lot. For instance, I decide not to cut between now and Christmas, and to wear it up as much as I can. Then at Christmas maybe go for a trim and root cover or something and wear my hair down for Christmas. Wearing it down and having it look nice becomes sort of a reward for my hard work. Plus, I get all the squees of "oh, your hair has gotten so long" and "wow, I didn't know your hair was THAT long".
Good luck with sticking to it!!!

FrannyG
August 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
It sounds like a really good plan to me, and very doable. I look forward to watching your progress. :blossom:

jel
August 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM
That sounds like a good plan!

This is a good place to learn about pampering your hair with treatments and hair toys ;) If you're prone to impulsive hair decisions there are some other options that you can read about, like the No-Trimming Club (in my siggy) or the Long Count for Natural Hair thread.

pixiegirl
August 30th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Good luck Barca. I too hope for a good head of hair after 4 years.

Barca
August 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys :). I was looking at old school pics the other day, and in my 4th grade school photo my ends of my hair aren't in the picture. I also found a candid shot of my friend and I walking away and my hair was sooooo thick and healthy LONG!. It was even all one length all the way through..not a sign of breakage or spit ends in sight! I have to get that back! I'm going to start taking pics to monitor the progress! I get excited just thinking about having long hair again! ;)

jojo
August 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a plan Stan! and a good one at that, gee in 4 years you will be L-O-N-G!

Islandgrrl
August 30th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Barca....sounds like a fantastic idea! Maybe you should consider the Wear Your Hair Up for A Month/Months/Year Challenge. Great way to protect those ends while your hair grows really really long!