PDA

View Full Version : Copper build-up from water pipes is damaging

Tabitha
June 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Another good reason to use a chelating shampoo every so often. I've been finishing with a cold rinse for a while on the grounds that the hot water is likely to have more copper than the cold - which is confirmed in this article.

Dr Jennifer Marsh, a research fellow at Proctor and Gamble who led the research, said: “Copper is not present in large amounts but it is important as it is catalytically active.

“The copper comes in from the tap water and the hair acts like a sponge picking it up over time. Colouring hair can create free radicals that damage the protein in the hair and the copper can catalyse that reaction. In the same way, UV exposure from going out in the sun can do the same thing over a longer period of time. Physical processes like brushing, blow drying and washing, hair is less able to stand up to those and it will break down faster and lead to split ends, lack of shine and make it harder to manage.”

Dr Marsh and her colleagues analysed hair from 450 women from around the world and found that they had varying levels of copper in their hair. On average most had levels of around 20-200 atoms of copper for every million molecules in their hair. Some, however, had levels that were more than 500 parts per million.

Low levels of copper in drinking water are thought to occur naturally while purifying processes used by water companies can add more. Most copper, however, comes from traditional copper pipes used in British houses. Even in homes with plastic piping, hot water tanks can be made from copper.

As a single strand of hair can grow for up to three years before falling out, the low levels of the metal in the water can build up in the outer layers of the hair, the researchers found. Once there it increases the formation of reactive molecules that break down the outer sheath of the hair, known as the cuticle, and the hair’s cortex. This strips hair strands of their shine and leaves them weaker than normal, meaning they are more prone to breaking when brushing or to damage from blow drying.

However, the researchers, whose findings are published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, found that treating hair with chemicals more commonly used in washing powder, known as chelants, they could reduce the action of the copper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10122647/Answer-to-bad-hair-days-in-the-pipeline.html

gustavonut
November 14th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Too bad I can't find a cheap Chelating shampoo anywhere near me. Not even on amazon

allierat
November 14th, 2014, 12:26 PM
What is a chelating shampoo?

Larki
November 14th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Too bad I can't find a cheap Chelating shampoo anywhere near me. Not even on amazon

Malibu C is the cheapest I could find. It's sulfate-free too, so it's gentle, and it works really well. Smells faintly of orange creamsicle. I love it.

LiftItNaked
November 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks for sharing :) This is good to know as I live in an older home with lots of copper pipes. I have so much trouble with hair breakage too

gustavonut
November 14th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Malibu C is the cheapest I could find. It's sulfate-free too, so it's gentle, and it works really well. Smells faintly of orange creamsicle. I love it.

I still can't afford that :/ sad I know

renia22
November 14th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Ultra swim isn't bad, you can usually find it between $4-$5. The Walgreens near me must have decided not to carry it anymore, I saw it for under $1 on clearance the other week

gustavonut
November 15th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I found the loreal kids one but wasn't able to buy it because of moola problems. It has a lot of good reviews though!